Portable Generator

wdk450

Another idea

How about bolting the generator onto the bed of the truck? If it is short enough there shouldn't be clearance problems with the hitch, or mount it forward of the hitch. If it runs on the same fuel, you may even be able to tap into the truck's fuel supply. Power cords can be extended.

Fredtp

Vibration

Is there a lot of vibration felt when running the generator that is mounted in the 5th wheel?

jnbhobe

My Honda 3000 is mounted on the rear of the unit,sitting in the living room its right behind me and all I can do is feel a little vibration, can't hear it. In the bedroom you don't even know its running!!! JON

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
Charlie, We host a campground for three months in the summer. It has no power and I mounted my honda 3000 in the compartment by the udc, on a slide. I have run it for well over a year with absolutely no problem. I tried running it in the front cmpartment and it did leak into the trailer and set off the carbon monoxide detector. I feel very comfortable with it mounted on a slide

Northern Virginia
Is there a lot of vibration felt when running the generator that is mounted in the 5th wheel?

I have a 6500 watt Onan in the generator compartment. You can only feel a vibration (in the floor) under full load when standing in the bedroom over top of the generator compartment. Even then, it is not that noticeable.

John

dtomlinson

We have a Honda 3000 installed in back of unit with gen in a Gear Deck box. In order to keep vibration to a minimum, I install a flip down stabalizer leg (Atwood stabalizer) to bottom of Gear Deck box. It has a telescoping extender on it. However, even without the leg down, there is very little vibration. I only put the leg down, if we are staying several days in one spot. I also installed some aluminum props to hold cover open for exhaust ventilation and rain protection.

Attachments

• New Sundance 5th Wheel 026.jpg
    New Sundance 5th Wheel 026.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 88

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Boliy update

Getting ready for a winter trip so i gassed up started up the Boliy gen to make sure all was well.... Its been 2 months since it was run and i added Sta-bil to the fuel in Oct. Bought the unit in Sep. 09.

It wont start :mad:--- after about 15 pulls I hear and smell gasoline dripping somewhere inside the unit and leaking threw under the bottom, also the last last few pulls were like the engine was locking up solid. I had no choice but to talk it apart.

After contacting China via email they gave me the one authorized USA repair center located in San Diego Ca. I called them up (my Chinese not so good) and explaned my problem. I told him fuel is poring out of the air filter. The man spoke broken English at best but tried to help. He says "fuel is clogged up bad needyseet small hole take apart clean, it still bad I maybe send you new carburrator".
After taking it apart i found nothing...no dirt, no gelled fuel, nothing so I re-installed the carburetor and It fired up after a few pulls.:confused:

After talking to the service Dept again I was told to prevent future problems #1) Start you unit EVERY 2 WEEKS and let it run a few minutes. #2) ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer like 'Sta-Bil'. Hopefully this infomation help other Boliy Gen. owners avoid the problems I have had.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Getting ready for a winter trip so i gassed up started up the Boliy gen to make sure all was well.... Its been 2 months since it was run and i added Sta-bil to the fuel in Oct. Bought the unit in Sep. 09.

It wont start :mad:--- after about 15 pulls I hear and smell gasoline dripping somewhere inside the unit and leaking threw under the bottom, also the last last few pulls were like the engine was locking up solid. I had no choice but to talk it apart.

After contacting China via email they gave me the one authorized USA repair center located in San Diego Ca. I called them up (my Chinese not so good) and explaned my problem. I told him fuel is poring out of the air filter. The man spoke broken English at best but tried to help. He says "fuel is clogged up bad needyseet small hole take apart clean, it still bad I maybe send you new carburrator".
After taking it apart i found nothing...no dirt, no gelled fuel, nothing so I re-installed the carburetor and It fired up after a few pulls.:confused:

After talking to the service Dept again I was told to prevent future problems #1) Start you unit EVERY 2 WEEKS and let it run a few minutes. #2) ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer like 'Sta-Bil'. Hopefully this infomation help other Boliy Gen. owners avoid the problems I have had.

If possible while the gen is running turn off the gasoline supply and let it run until it quits. This gets all of the gas out of the carburetor. Then you can store it. Like you said be sure to use a stabilizer in the fuel. I followed this procedure in our Generate and it has worked very well. I can let it sit for several months and it starts right up every time. Fortunately we have an electric start.

jpajax

Here is update on first time dry camping. Ran Boliy inverter for about 12hr. consumed a little over 1gal. fuel that was running in eco. mode it wouldn't might not used that much but was above 5,000ft.. That was running tv, lights, converter,ran microwave for about 12min., electric grill one night cooking steak and coffee maker in morning for two days. Never took off eco mode. Neighbor came over and ask are you running a gen. answered yes why and he said that he couldn't hear it until he walked up.
coffeetime.gif

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I had a similar problem the first time I let it sit for a few weeks. Pulled till my arm was sore. I soon realized I forgot to open the fuel tank vent. I was starving it for fuel.:eek: I'm glad it was nothing more than that. I haven't run it for about 6 weeks so I suppose I should go out and give it a whirl. I did use Stabil so the fuel should be OK.

boatdoc

West10, I'm pretty sure your needle and seat were stuck open and let the fuel fill the cylinder up with gas, that's the hard pull towards the end. It was trying to hydralic lock, can't compress liquid. I see this quite a bit in the boatworld. No big deal but is best to pull the sparkplug and pull it gently over to pump the gas out. If it happens again, most of the time one can tap the float bowl and this will let the needle seat again. This is NOT a Boliy isolated problem, it happens alot.
Guys, I had used stabil for years and years and just recently went to Seaform. It is a stabilizer also but it does quite a bit more than Stabil as far as cleaning things inside the carb. I think for the buck or two more it's a more rounded product for our gennys and outboards that don't get run that much in the winter.
Gary (boatdoc)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
West10, I'm pretty sure your needle and seat were stuck open and let the fuel fill the cylinder up with gas, that's the hard pull towards the end. It was trying to hydralic lock, can't compress liquid. I see this quite a bit in the boatworld. No big deal but is best to pull the sparkplug and pull it gently over to pump the gas out. If it happens again, most of the time one can tap the float bowl and this will let the needle seat again. This is NOT a Boliy isolated problem, it happens alot.
Guys, I had used stabil for years and years and just recently went to Seaform. It is a stabilizer also but it does quite a bit more than Stabil as far as cleaning things inside the carb. I think for the buck or two more it's a more rounded product for our gennys and outboards that don't get run that much in the winter.
Gary (boatdoc)
Yes you are correct...the needle and seat must have been stuck open (maybe the cold weather caused this issue). I'm going to change the oil today as the oil level is now too high possibly from fuel leaking into the crankcase.