Possible Frame Flex

dix36

I first want to give a big shout out to Don Massengill for noticing something on our Big Horn when we were leaving Urbanna and running us down in his golf cart to tell me. He saw that the top of the pin box was just about touching the bottom of the front cap! I thanked him and decided it looked okay. So, we came on to Radford, VA. Well, by the time we arrived the pin box had rubbed two places on the cap. Thanks again Don for making me aware!

The rub damage started a bunch of worry and phone calls. Heartland service wanted me to take it to Camping World in Roanoke. Not doing that! Have a bad opinion of them from a grey water tank issue we had. So, I called Lippert. They had me make some measurements which indicate that there is flex that needs attention.

So, we are due in Goshen at Lippert on 22 July for inspection and whatever repair is required to get rid of the flex. Sure hope it all holds together without a lot more damage for the trip.

Any prayers you might want to offer up to the RV gods would be greatly appreciated.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I first want to give a big shout out to Don Massengill for noticing something on our Big Horn when we were leaving Urbanna and running us down in his golf cart to tell me. He saw that the top of the pin box was just about touching the bottom of the front cap! I thanked him and decided it looked okay. So, we came on to Radford, VA. Well, by the time we arrived the pin box had rubbed two places on the cap. Thanks again Don for making me aware!

The rub damage started a bunch of worry and phone calls. Heartland service wanted me to take it to Camping World in Roanoke. Not doing that! Have a bad opinion of them from a grey water tank issue we had. So, I called Lippert. They had me make some measurements which indicate that there is flex that needs attention.

So, we are due in Goshen at Lippert on 22 July for inspection and whatever repair is required to get rid of the flex. Sure hope it all holds together without a lot more damage for the trip.

Any prayers you might want to offer up to the RV gods would be greatly appreciated.

Way to go Don! Bummer on the Pin Box. :( Please keep us updated Dick.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Look out for I 77, it really banged the crap out of us going through Virginia and WV

I had a similar problem with my 2008 Bighorn. Heartland made the repairs at no cost to me and no problems
Since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ellie

Our 08 3670RL had several fibreglass cracks at the bottom corners of the bedroom slide that alarmed me, as well as the pin issues you describe. (This was in the fall of 2012.) I took photos, contacted the Heartland factory with our VIN number and they promptly got back to me. We arranged a factory date at our convenience (May 2013), and made the three day drive to Elkhart from Saskatchewan. My husband and I were SO impressed with the helpful factory staff and with how well we were accommodated for the five working days our unit was in for repair. We were allowed to come peek at the progress any time we wanted to, and after my initial shock of seeing the entire front end dismantled and stripped back, it was amazing to see the end result after it was all put back together. We drove home over those dreadful northern US interstates and some even more horrible Canadian highways and the repairs have held. You will not find better people to deal with than the Heartland factory staff! Our only expense was the addition of an electric awning, which we both love!

dix36

Kudos to both Lippert and Heartland service folks!!

On 21 July Lippert did their measurements right away when we arrived at their facility and confirmed that there was flex. To my dismay, they said Heartland would have to be involved in skin removal or uncovering of the frame and they were scheduling work for the 25th of August. Then they started really looking at and discussing the rolling gear under the coach. Within minutes they were telling me we were lucky to have made it to Goshen. The rear axle was about to fall off. Turns out they replaced axles, springs, hangers, equa flex hangers, shocks and some brake parts. They kept it overnight and got all done the next day. It cost me to have it done but I feel blessed that we made it to Goshen safely.

So, I then scheduled a look see appointment with Heartland. They confirmed frame flex and, thankfully, agreed to start work the next day. They kept the rig for 13 days to not only repair the frame flex fix but also to repair a crack at the top right rear of the entertainment slide. I paid for the crack repair as a separate issue.

Bottom line....both the Lippert and Heartland repair folks treated our problem very quickly and with the utmost professional pride.

THANKS to both for jobs well done!!!

I have a 2009 Bighorn and I have a wrinkle in the siding right over the wheels, do you think that could be from the same thing. Was yours still covered under warranty?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Doncaudill, normally the frame flex issues are in the front of the coach. You would see some issues in the overhang/bedroom area.
It sounds more like yours could be delamination due to water intrusion.
Can you post some pics?

Peace
Dave

aatauses

I had the same issue with a 2010 BH, you can search on my post to see that HL handled it without an issue and we were treated like royalty at the facility. We have not had any issue since then including a trip to AK.
al
currently in Deadwood, SD

ecsteman

Thanks for your post. I have a 2009 Bighorn 3370Rl.(Serial # 5SFBG33229E201530) We got back from our summer travels and found our bedroom dropped about an inch. After taking it to Camping World and removing all the covering under the bedroom and then the bed and cabinet, almost ever weld was cracked.

I've contact Heartland and they contacted Lippert but as of this date they have been 'gathering' photos and talking to the service sup at CW.

Any hope they will cover the repairs?

danemayer

Thanks for your post. I have a 2009 Bighorn 3370Rl.(Serial # 5SFBG33229E201530) We got back from our summer travels and found our bedroom dropped about an inch. After taking it to Camping World and removing all the covering under the bedroom and then the bed and cabinet, almost ever weld was cracked.

I've contact Heartland and they contacted Lippert but as of this date they have been 'gathering' photos and talking to the service sup at CW.

Hi ecsteman,

On frame flex where welds are broken, Heartland usually offers to fix the problem at the factory. I expect you'll know the answer pretty soon.

wdk450

Boy, when they fixed my (2009) front frame flex issue at the factory, they removed the front cap and bed slide. I did not think they got back as far in the frame as the dresser, I thought they mainly worked in the front closet, front storage and pinbox areas.