Possible Problem?

Scott

Yet ANOTHER very good point brought up here by Ken Washington, one of the "original" Landmark owners.

Good input Ken.

jpmorgan37

It would be nice to know what the tire manufacturers safety margin for maximum pressure is. They tell us to start with 110# cold and allow for pressure build up. If we start at a lower pressure, won't we develop more heat and potentially cause more damage to the casing? Many questions.

K

Ken Washington

jpmorgan37,
I'm no expert on this but I think you have to look at what load you are putting on the tires. 110 lb. is for max load and I think we are not at max load. If we were, it would be a safety issue.

Ken

vangoes

It was my understanding that the max "Cold" pressure stated on the tires had the safety margin built into it and that if you maintained the pressure at max when the tire was warm, you could be seriously under inflated depending on the load. At least thats what tire people have told me.

Jimmyt5

There was a story on an other web sight about some guy being pulled over by a RV guy, who had Very low tires on his rig and was weaving all over the road, and he told the RV guy he just got the rig last week and he always starts out with low tires because they get warm and fill up.

I have been driving almost since tires were hard rubber and tires ALWAYS have had inflate with the tire cold. The pressure on the sidewall is COLD TIRE.:)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
jpmorgan37 said:
It would be nice to know what the tire manufacturers safety margin for maximum pressure is. They tell us to start with 110# cold and allow for pressure build up. If we start at a lower pressure, won't we develop more heat and potentially cause more damage to the casing? Many questions.
This has been my position also.(BUT) I went to a rally once and Goodyear Rep. there said you could run less air if weight was less than the max rating. In the same breath he said if to low would increase heat build up. He then said he generally recommends max cold pressure because most people don't know exact axle weight of each axle and side to side weight and load for trips differently.
Then again on my truck the sticker tells me to put 80lbs inthe rear tires and 60 in the front for max loading. :confused: Ken

jpmorgan37

I was running between 2900 pounds and 3500 pounds load per tire. My right rear was the heaviest when last weighed, which also happens to be the one with the most pressure build up. I have tried to rearrange my load for better balance but haven't had individual tires weighed since the rally last year. Another thing I found interesting. The difference in tire pressure (cold) at 68 degrees ambient and 80 degrees ambient is 3 pounds and the trailer hadn't moved.

John

K

Ken Washington

Everyone,
This could go on and on but who do you want to believe? I think that if the tire looks good ( stands up straight ), wears even, side walls not bulged out and air pressure at a level equal to load than it will be OK.

Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

In regards to proper tire inflation, most tire manufactures post load/pressure schedules. It is very important to a least weigh the rig to determine the total weight on all trailer axles, weighing each axle separately is better, and each tire individually is the best.

All tires should be inflated to the heaviest load condition as per the load/pressure schedule. I would definitely not rely on a placard in the rv indication tire inflation. How does that placard know the current loading and type of tire? The placard is using, what I call, the "s.w.a.g" method for tire pressure................"s.w.a.g" method = "scientific wild a-- guess."

Some people say "fill er up to the max and go." This idea may be comforting to know your tires are full with the possibility of less heat build up and less sidewall flexing. I would rather use the recommended tire inflation to salvage the $30,000 to $100,000 of portable home componets bouncing down the highway.