Potential New Owner Here! Need Help selecting right model for my situation.

Kimkalman

I am looking into a new Heartland purchase. I will be stationary in Ohio more than likely in the winter months. It can get pretty cold here. I am interested in a travel trailer. I was told by Heartland that the Mallard, Wilderness and North Trail would work and are considered 4 season. Let me mention that I am completely NEW to the RV world. I want this to be an enjoyable time not a winter full of stress (i.e. pipes freezing, trying to stay warm, etc.) What do you guys think? Are these the best models for me to consider and also what are the real differences between them? Thank you so much for any direction you can give me.

danemayer

Hi Kimkalman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

4 season is a relative term, as seasons vary quite a bit in how hot or cold any given area of the country may get. 4 season in central Florida is quite different from Ohio.

Also, there are 2 issues in cold weather: most of the time, RV manufacturers talk about comfort inside, which usually means how much heat the furnace/fireplace/heat strips/heat pumps put out, along with how much heat loss you have. Less discussed is how well the water systems work when temperatures go well below freezing.

It's usually not too hard to maintain a comfortable temperature inside a trailer. But it can get expensive depending on how much insulation you have, how many windows, and how well the slides are sealed, etc. More expensive trailers usually have more insulation and better seals. You'll need an external propane tank - 125 gallon probably - and you'll go through a lot of propane in the winter.

Keeping the water system from freezing is another thing altogether. First of all, you will need tank heaters to keep the holding tank contents from freezing. You'll also want heat tape on the fresh water line from the fresh tank to the pump. Many Heartland trailers offer an option called the YETI package which includes tank heaters and heat tape on the fresh line, along with additional insulation in the front and rear caps. I don't know if Mallard, Wilderness and North Trail offer the Yeti option. If they don't, you would have to have these items installed locally - probably $1-2,000.

There are other things you'll probalby need to do to keep the water running. We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that details all these things and will help you in climates where temps go well below 0 (F).

Kimkalman

Yikes, that is not what I was hoping for. Heartland seems to have been really dishonest with me. They told me that with the R rating of 11 for one part of it and 15 for the other I would not need to do all of that. They also told me I would not go through that much propane either because of the 2 inch styrofoam insulation. You are correct in that the Yeti package is not offered on these models but again they told me I would not need it. I am really confused now. Difficult to trust a company that is not honest with me just to get a sale.

wehavefun

Probably it was a dealer that may have either stretched the truth or misunderstood your situation.
Weather thru Ohio has a pretty big swing also, a winter in Cincinnati is different that Cleveland. That 15 -20 degrees can be the difference of yes it will make or no way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kimkalman

I am in between Dayton and Cincinnati. I lived in Cleveland for many years. The main difference is the amount of snowfall. Temps are about the same.

Kimkalman

I called Heartland and spoke with them at length and then went to a dealer to look at a few. They basically told me the same information with some variation.

danemayer

Some of the answers you're getting are going to be based on how cold people think it's going to be in Ohio. Historically, Cincinnati in January has lows around 22 (F). With your thermostat set at 72, you might get enough heat in the underbelly to keep the water tanks and lines above freezing. So from the perspective of average conditions, the answers you're getting are reasonably correct. The problem is that overnight temps can sometimes fall into the mid teens and historically have been as low as 6. That's when you'll have problems.

If you don't want to move up to a model that offers the Yeti option, or install heat pads/tape locally, another option is to build an enclosure under the plumbing areas - a mini-skirt. That will give you additional protection. If the forecast calls for bitter cold, you can put a ceramic disc heater on the ground inside the enclosure to get through those extreme temps.

Kimkalman

Looking to purchase for chilly Ohio winter. Need advice.

I am looking to purchase a travel trailer that will make it through an Ohio winter, specifically in the area of Cincinnati/Dayton. I want to be able to hook-up when I am there during the colder winter months. Will the Northwind be able to handle this? I am also looking into an Arctic Fox. I am getting many conflicting stories as to whether or not this can be done. I do not want to have to deal with frozen lines or tanks or just being plain cold inside. It is possible that in this area temps can fall below zero. The dealer tells me I will not use a lot of propane because of the R-Value and others tell me I will go through a ton of it. I spoke with Heartland and they told me it would work and I would not have to do a lot of other things to the trailer to make it safe and effective for the winter and then those with RV's tell me it will be difficult and I will need to get a Yeti package installed among a long list of other things that will need to be done to keep things from freezing and to keep warm. I am new to the RV world and very confused about what trailer to get. Thank you for any help you can give me.

JanAndBill

Re: Looking to purchase for chilly Ohio winter. Need advice.

Trailers are like sleeping bags, if they're rated to 20 degrees, you'll freeze to death at 19 degrees!! We've been out in our BH at temperatures down into the low teens. We survived but it wasn't the most pleasant experience. If we were stationary, skirting around the bottom of the trailer would help as would plastic film on the windows. When the temperature drops below 20 degrees and the wind blows you'll feel every draft. Even though they are laminated, the sidewalls radiate the cold. During the colder days we were going through a 40# cylinder on average of every 3 days. Running the furnace is a necessity if you expect to keep your tanks and plumbing from freezing, unless you have heaters on everything. Even then I wouldn't go off and leave the trailer for an extended period without winterizing it.

kowAlski631

We've been in temps in the teens in our BH which has Yeti and kept the furnace running as well as electric heaters and a heated fresh water hose. We stayed warm. Since this is your foray into RVS, you might not be really happy. Just saying......

SNOKING

Re: Looking to purchase for chilly Ohio winter. Need advice.

I am looking to purchase a travel trailer that will make it through an Ohio winter, specifically in the area of Cincinnati/Dayton. I want to be able to hook-up when I am there during the colder winter months. Will the Northwind be able to handle this? I am also looking into an Arctic Fox. I am getting many conflicting stories as to whether or not this can be done. I do not want to have to deal with frozen lines or tanks or just being plain cold inside. It is possible that in this area temps can fall below zero. The dealer tells me I will not use a lot of propane because of the R-Value and others tell me I will go through a ton of it. I spoke with Heartland and they told me it would work and I would not have to do a lot of other things to the trailer to make it safe and effective for the winter and then those with RV's tell me it will be difficult and I will need to get a Yeti package installed among a long list of other things that will need to be done to keep things from freezing and to keep warm. I am new to the RV world and very confused about what trailer to get. Thank you for any help you can give me.

" I do not want to have to deal with frozen lines or tanks or just being plain cold inside"

In any RV trailer your will be dealing with these issues. Condensation is another issue that you will have to deal with. As stated above "rent an apartment"!

Kimkalman

Thank you for all the honest responses. I was led to believe these trailer models (either the Mallard, Wilderness or Northtrail) were different because of the block foam insulation and the enclosed and heated underbelly. So basically, what all of you are saying is that this is not going to work?

SNOKING

Thank you for all the honest responses. I was led to believe these trailer models (either the Mallard, Wilderness or Northtrail) were different because of the block foam insulation and the enclosed and heated underbelly. So basically, what all of you are saying is that this is not going to work?

People make it work, however it is a winter long battle with cool weather as your enemy. Let up your guard for a few hours and things freeze up. Only so much electric power is available and propane heat and your breathing cause high levels of condensation on the interior surfaces(Walls and Windows).

Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Even in the top-of-the-line Landmark, you would have to combat these issues if the temp is below about 20 degrees.

I have see folks do it in a travel trailer, but it is not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlw930

Most dealers and Heartland employees have not lived in an RV enough to fully appreciate the issues owners face in sub-freezing weather. This isn't a criticism, just a fact. Regardless of the make, brand or model, living in an RV in the freezing cold requires additional effort and expense. My wife has family in the Dayton area and we have stayed in RV parks in Brookville and Wilmington, but we won't take our RV there, or anywhere in the Midwest in the winter. Been there, tried that, and too much hassle for me. And since we're retired, we have the luxury to be where we want to be...most of the time. I'm sorry you've been led to have unrealistic expectations of Heartland products (or any RV make), but hopefully all the comments here have given you a healthy dose of realism. Good luck with whatever you decide do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

You can do it but you need to have a heated and insulated water hose. You also need skirting. Many people also put rigid insulation pieces on the top, sides and bottom of the slides. You will want dual pane windows for sure. This will be true for any brand or manufacturer

SNOKING

I came out of a NCR's tech school evening class in Dayton back in the mid 70's and the car was frozen up tight with a 1/4" of freezing rain covering the total vehicle. It took us 45 minutes to get the doors open, longer to be able to drive it away.

Chris