PowerKing Tow Max Tires (Dynamic Tire Corp}

Birchwood

If only somehow this information could reach buyers not to accept and purchase RVs with these tires.Heartland should deal these tires as complaints are to frequent so its not just low tire pressure or whatever.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I agree completely, but for some people it comes down to the bottom dollar. I just absorbed the cost and removed all 5 of my tires and wheels and replaced them with 17.5" Wheels and Goodyear G114 Tires before we put any miles on the trailer. We sold our wheels and tires as a set for $1200 to a lady who was putting them on her horse trailer. If the option to get the 17.5's was available when we bought our trailer we would have gone that route instead, but it wasn't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

tracks

I agree completely, but for some people it comes down to the bottom dollar. I just absorbed the cost and removed all 5 of my tires and wheels and replaced them with 17.5" Wheels and Goodyear G114 Tires before we put any miles on the trailer. We sold our wheels and tires as a set for $1200 to a lady who was putting them on her horse trailer. If the option to get the 17.5's was available when we bought our trailer we would have gone that route instead, but it wasn't.

What is the make and specifications of the 17.5 wheel you’re using?
Thanks!!!

supernan1414

I have been following this debate since we brought our Bighorn home in July 2010. The first tread I read about the failures I went outside and looked at the tires, sure enough they were Towmax. We haven't changed them yet but will be before heading to Fl. this Jan. We have about 5000 miles on them. I think that the tire option should be on the list given to you when you are ordering your rig. Our salesperson specifically said Heartland put quality tires on their units. We bought from a very small family owned dealership and I believe he thought this to be true. After the fact I learned this is a hidden option you have to ask about. This was our first new ordered unit and there are several things I would have done different had I done the research I should have done. When I walked in my first Bighorn it was love at first sight.

I probably still would not have talked my husband into replacing what he has believed to be perfectly good tires until acquaintances had one blow on their way north this year and two on their way back to Fl. Their rig is newer than ours (2012 I think) and a little bigger. Their rig has come north twice, ours has only gone to Fl once. $5,000. damage, both sides torn up. Not sure what we will put on yet but it will have new shoes. Sitting along I-95 doesn't sound like fun to me.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have 13,000 miles on my 17.5" wheels and tires and have had no issues at all. These tires are rated at much higher load range, pressures and speed.

Westwind

I'm in the process of trying to make up my mind on either new G614's or going broke with 17 1/2 wheels with the 116 tires on them. I have a Bighorn 3070RL and probably the G614's are sufficient, but if I got the new 17 1/2 wheels with the 116s I would have done everything I could possibly do to avoid a tire related blow out or problem. I'm very careful about tire pressure I even bought a monitoring system for our new at the time Bighorn two years ago.
What do you folks think - go with the G614 or upgrade to the 17.5 rims with the 116s, I'm beginning to think the 17.5 rims and tires are overkill because my Bighorn is on the lower end of the weight scale - Thanks for you input.

PS - I've made two trips to Florida and back to RI which was a total of about 5600 miles on the Towmax Tires - so I'm lucky but I don't want to push it.

danemayer

3070RL has a GVWR of 14,000 of which over 2,000 is on the pinbox. So each tire is carrying around 3,000 or less. GY G614 is rated for 3,750. That's a 25% margin. Landmarks using G614s are carrying significantly more weight with few problems reported.

scottyb

That's another issue. The Towmax are only rated for 65 mph. Michelin XPS Ribs are rated for 98 mph and I only drive 65.

scottyb

I'm sorry. I got the speed rating off of one of the tire stores websites. It appears that the Michelin site gives the XPS Ribs a 120 MPH rating "Q". I would say there is a little margin of safety there.

danemayer

Here's a link to data on the XPS Rib 235/85/16. Note that on the specifications tab, the max speed is listed at 75mph. Also, the load at the max of 80psi is 3042 lbs which might be matched to a trailer in the 14,000 GVRW range. For a trailer in the 15,500 GVWR you'd want something more like 3250 or higher. And the overall diameter is 32.2" which is 1 - 1.5" larger than a Towmax, depending on which you have.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
All I can say is anyone who pulls a trailer at 75 mph or higher is tempting fate, and IMHO being foolish. Keep in mind the speed rating is for a sustained speed not a momentary one. It you normally drive 65 and your speed momentarily increases to 80 on a 75 mph rated tire that doesn't mean you will have an instantaneous tire failure. On the other hand if you cruise at 75 mph on a 65 mph tire for an extended period you could have a tire failure. You have to also remember if the state sets the legal speed limit for trailers being towed at 70 mph do you think they are libel for tire failures of those persons driving 70 on a 65 mph rated tire? An interesting thought. Do you know what normal passenger car tires are rated for? Check it out. I think it is 100. But what about those who sail by you driving over 100 (not uncommon in West Texas)? You see, this discussion could go on forever. My feeling is is you drive reasonable when towing your RV you should be okay. There is no winner in a which is better LT or ST tires. To me it is personal preference.

scottyb

Here's a link to data on the XPS Rib 235/85/16. Note that on the specifications tab, the max speed is listed at 75mph. Also, the load at the max of 80psi is 3042 lbs which might be matched to a trailer in the 14,000 GVRW range. For a trailer in the 15,500 GVWR you'd want something more like 3250 or higher. And the overall diameter is 32.2" which is 1 - 1.5" larger than a Towmax, depending on which you have.

Interesting. Here is a link to data on the Michelin website for the XPS Rib 235/85/16 showing the speed rating of 120. The specs show the OD to be 32.0, which I stated is closer than I would like. If I had my choice, the axles would be set up on the 35 in spacing instead of the 33". However, after 8K miles and rarely even having to add air to achieve the recommended 80 PSI, I have grown comfortable with the clearance. The last trip I took, only 2 of the 6 tires required any air at all (2-3 psi) after sitting for almost 3 months.

jmgratz, I agree with you whole-heartedly. No way am I driving over 65 with a LDT towing a heavy 5th wheel. Maybe when I get my Class 8 truck conversion MH, I will see how that feels when the SL is 75+.

scottyb

So one link shows "75mph" while the other shows "120 Q". I don't know what "Q" stands for, but 75 mph happens to be equivalent to 120 kph.

Could be, but the rest of the specs are given in Miles, PSI, and Lbs. I was surprised at the 120 rating because i swear i have seen it on tire Rack or Discount Tire as in the high 90's.

d_fergie

Replaced my first tire (with less that 300 miles, but some of that off road)Thursday, had a nail and separation ... at work or would give the 6 ply brand I replaced with.

ramdually4100king

I have been looking at the 17.5" wheels with G116's. I need 7 wheels and tires and that is going to run me about $6000.

I would have gladly paid for that when I bought the trailer considering that is 1/15 of the price of a 4100.

My trailer weighs in at 19000lbs fully loaded with fuel, water 450lbs bike and personal items. Just to run under the max18k I have to run dry. 4000 of that is on the hitch so that leaves me with three 6000lbs axles holding 15k. That is 5000lbs per axle which is extremely close to the max also. But if the towmax was really rated for 3500@80psi then the 2500lbs per tire should not be a problem AND WE SHOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION!!!

But we are... So where does that leave us? Back at the tires will fail or they won't.

PS. I have posted weight tickets in other posts if you don't believe the numbers.