Pre-Purchase 5th Airborne pin box question

Garypowell

I am strongly considering the purchase of a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Airborne pin box. Just the standard one not the turret kind. It seems to be the best combination of being able to solve the problem, cost, ability to put it on with Linda’s help (we are on the road), etc.

I called Reese today and asked them their opinion on which version (16,000 or 21,000 pound) I should purchase. My 3010 weighs in at 14,300# with a pin weight of 3,300#. The 300# overweight on the rig does not concern me but the 3,300 pound pin weight does….especially since I have added the 32 gallon Aux Tank. My 2008 SRW Duramax handles it all just fine. I have good acceleration, drivability and get around 13 MPG….so no real complaints. We are just getting tired of the bounce and tug of the rig. And I don’t think it can be very good for the truck either.

So the person I spoke with said quickly “buy the 16K version….it is all about the weight of the vehicle”.

I then called back and spoke with someone else giving them the same parameters and they put me on hold. About a minute later they came back and said with that pin weight it would be best to use the 21K version as it had a bigger air bag. I asked and was told the shock was the same on both versions.

I thought instead of calling a third time to break the tie I would ask those of you who have this hitch what you think. The 21K actually makes better sense to me.

I know some have reported this pin box did them no good….maybe someone in that group could speak to how heavy their pin weight was…and maybe that was a factor.

Thanks all,

Garypowell

Just to close this one out I found my problem......to much air in my Firestone air bags!

we normally have a fairly easy riding truck/RV combination. When I put them on it got even better. On this last trip I was still experimenting with pressure. So I put 35 pounds in the bags before we left. Worst ride ever. But then I forgot what I had done. On the last leg of this trip I used 25 pounds again.....and it smoothed right out as in the paste.

So I have taken a new pin box off of my wish list. I understand some still want/need this help and others will say air bags are not for smoothing out the ride....but it works for us.

Blue Oval

I'm glad you started this thread. I have considered going with an air ride box, but have no idea if it is worth the money and will really provide much difference in the ride.

JeromyS

I'm glad you started this thread. I have considered going with an air ride box, but have no idea if it is worth the money and will really provide much difference in the ride.

I don't have air bags in my truck, but I just picked up a Trailair pin box then hauled it 2200 miles. I can say that it made A WORLD of difference compared to my last 2000 mile trip with the same unit. I was skeptical at first as well, but after driving with it I don't think I'll be purchasing another RV without some form or Air ride assistance (maybe in the truck, maybe in the pin box, maybe in the suspension). If you travel a lot of uneven roads it'll really take a lot of the strain out. Now it's not going to solve the large bumps or poor bridge work on either end if you know what I'm talking about. That is still a rodeo ride, but for a majority of the trip you can't even tell the trailer is back there unless you're looking in the rear view mirror.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the 5th Airborne on my Landmark and had it on my Bighorn and if the bags are properly inflated it makes a huge difference in ride quality over rough and uneven terrain.

Rod Ditrich

Blue Oval

I don't have too many complaints about the way my set up rides with the exception of starting and stopping where the banging of the pin inside the 5th wheel. Would an air ride box fix this?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Sounds like your fifth wheel hitch pin needs adjusting.

Rod Ditrich

I don't have too many complaints about the way my set up rides with the exception of starting and stopping where the banging of the pin inside the 5th wheel. Would an air ride box fix this?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have the 5th Airborne hitch and it's night/day over the OEM pin. My pin weight is 2950 lbs. and I've got the 21K pin box. I set the air bladder at 100 psi after loading the trailer on the hitch. My hitch is a 16K Reese.