Pressure Pro Tire Monitoring System

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.
I would choose Intellivalve or Tire-SafeGuard over SmarTire because of the sensor mounting. SmarTire sensor is mounted to the center of the wheel with a large speed clamp, the tire has to be removed from the wheel for installation or repair. Intellivalve and Tire-SafeGuard sensor is part of the valve stem and installed or repaired by deflating and breaking the tire bead only on the stem side. Completely removing the tire is good cause for a rebalance, where as breaking the bead on one side is not.
Forrest

P.S. This forum is good for many reasons in addition to keeping our crusty old brains sharp trying to spell words and use proper sentence structure.
You have spent a lot of time keeping this forum running and I know all of us really appreciate your efforts.

jbeletti

Thanks Forrest.

I hope you end up with either of the 2 you are favoring as we'd all love to read a review of them from a real user of the product.

Thanks,

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Back-up Camera Installed

I installed a VR3 Wireless Back-up Camera System on my BigHorn today; being wireless, no coax cable is required. The monitor comes with a cigarette lighter adapter and a direct wire with fuse for power. The camera requires only 12v power. Connecting the camera to the license plate light wiring is the simplest, but the camera will only work when the lights are on. Instead, I pulled power from the trailer wiring harness junction box located under the hitch pin, and used the yellow wire (#7-auxiliary/back-up) to supply 12v power to the camera and future trailer back-up lights. With this application, the camera will operate only when backing up.

The good........$99.00 at WalMart, easy installation, small color monitor is easily removed from dash for stowing.

The bad..........slight signal interference due to 44' between camera and monitor.

Attachments

• SV400002.JPG
    SV400002.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 20
  • SV400003.JPG
    SV400003.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 25
  • SV400005.JPG
    SV400005.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 25

jbeletti

Forrest,

Congrats on your install. As for the interference you were getting, was this while you were towing or stationary?

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.
The interference was while stationary and under an all steel carport with other vehicles close by. The picture was very clear and stable @ 44' when I moved the monitor and camera along side of the rig with direct line of sight.
I will call the mfg tomorrow to find out if they have a solution. I'm hoping that extending the antenna or a signal booster will solve the problem. I have read that some of the tire monitor systems require long antennas or a signal booster.
Forrest

jbeletti

If you can get an antenna for the receiver, outside of the cab, you may be in good shape.

You may have to hack the receiver to make an external antenna connection. A good source I use for various bands, types and mounts for antennas is Sharper Concepts.

If your mfr. is not helpful, if you can determine the frequency of the signal, an antenna can be sourced easily. I also use WPS Antennas for cellular band antennas in case your near that range.

Jim

jbeletti

Sure thing Forrest. The roof of my truck and trunk of my car have quite the constellation of antennas. Hope you can benefit from my RF addictions/research.

Here's a quote from a CNET review of a camera that may be the same:
The VRBCS300W relies on a 2.4GHz wireless signal to transmit video from the camera to the display, and a note in the instruction manual states that the device may be subject to interference from cell phones, Bluetooth headsets, wireless routers, and other electrical equipment. In our experience, the signal between the camera and the monitor worked fine when we connected the system in the lab, but behaved more temperamentally, with occasional flickers, when wired to our test car.

That review states the system works in the 2.4 GHz range. This page is full of mobile 2.4 GHz antennas that could help. The tedious aspect of this will be the modification of the receiver to mate it with an external antenna connector.

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Forrest Fetherolf said:
Jim B.
The interference was while stationary and under an all steel carport with other vehicles close by. The picture was very clear and stable @ 44' when I moved the monitor and camera along side of the rig with direct line of sight.
I will call the mfg tomorrow to find out if they have a solution. I'm hoping that extending the antenna or a signal booster will solve the problem. I have read that some of the tire monitor systems require long antennas or a signal booster.
Forrest
I was wanting to buy this camera because a friend had one and was pleased, but he has the hard wired model,not wireless, which is no longer made. The kit he had only needed a longer video cable to extend his length. The wireless one says in specs not for use over 19 feet. Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

I contacted RoadMasterUSA regarding the VR-3 back-up camera. Tech said "no way to extend the antennas for better reception". Their product manual says nothing about range, but trouble shooting FAQ says "19'." The product manual says "do not return product to store," Tech says "return product to store."
I opened the monitor, the internal antenna is a single 22ga wire 1-1/4" long, I clipped on a 22ga wire 20' long to no avail.
Still tinkering!

Forrest Fetherolf

Forrest Fetherolf said:
I installed a VR3 Wireless Back-up Camera System on my BigHorn today; being wireless, no coax cable is required. The monitor comes with a cigarette lighter adapter and a direct wire with fuse for power. The camera requires only 12v power. Connecting the camera to the license plate light wiring is the simplest, but the camera will only work when the lights are on. Instead, I pulled power from the trailer wiring harness junction box located under the hitch pin, and used the yellow wire (#7-auxiliary/back-up) to supply 12v power to the camera and future trailer back-up lights. With this application, the camera will operate only when backing up.

The good........$99.00 at WalMart, easy installation, small color monitor is easily removed from dash for stowing.

The bad..........slight signal interference due to 44' between camera and monitor.

Don't waste your money on this camera.............
I had the clearest picture the first time using this camera to back into a campsite. The picture didn't look anything like my campsite, it was a picture of a parking lot nearby from another camera. Walmart gladly refunded my money.