Problem with rubber seal on slide out at the top..they have disintegrated.

Litz

Problem with rubber seal on slide out at the top..they have disintegrated.

Need to know if anyone has had this problem..this soon.. on a 2013 Landmark.
also, can anyone tell me where I could find a replacement?

Attachments

• DSC03227.jpg
    DSC03227.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 193

cgunn

Yes..You will find several on the Forum that have had this problem,including me.
You can buy online several places like this. http://www.makariosrv.com/d-seal-for-ekd-base-black-018-312-ekd/
I bought mine at a local RV Dealer,a little cheaper plus I only had to buy the amount I needed.
I wish someone from Heartland would chime in on why this happens...
Or the vendor where Heartland buys it.
Faulty material or what?
If that is the case why are they still using it?
Mine did exactly like yours... Became sticky and fell apart.
What is up with that?
Curious to see responses on this.

scottyb

Just curious. Does your rig sit in the sun year round or is it covered most of the time. Also do you ever treat the seals with anything. I have been using something that we got from CW. Just looking ahead to what I might be facing since mine is a 2013 too.

pegmikef

That is really ugly and it looks like the caulking has been baked and is cracked as well. Another reason I like the slide toppers as it keeps all of that out of the direct sun

MCTalley

I've got similar deterioration on our bedroom slide (2013 model Big Country). I found the seal material on Amazon and plan on ordering some next week so it will be waiting when I get "home" the week after.

AP Products D-Seal

aatauses

Ours did a similar thing when we were in AZ for the winter. I called HL and they had the material in stock---just ask how long I needed. I measured the slide length and HL sent it out the next day. I did 3 tops of the slides, taking off the old, cleaning the tar like stuff off the slides, installing the new, and caulking, took about 1/2 day. One thing I learned, there is a screw holding the seal at each end---in order to put that screw back in the same place I used the old one for a pattern and drilled the hole into the new one prior to installing---you will see when putting the new in place you cannot see where the screw should go, but by having the hole predrilled--no problem
al
currenlty in crystal River, FL

sengli

Almost looks like when they painted the coach some of the paints, solvents got on the seal..

Rob63

I have the same problem on my 2014 Trail Runner. While the warranty was still in effect, one side was replaced. Now the other side needs to be replaced. Are there any "How To" articles or videos online that any of you are aware of?

whp4262

No different with the seals on the older units. I have the same seal problem with my 09 Cyclone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby A

I have the same problem on my 2014 Trail Runner. While the warranty was still in effect, one side was replaced. Now the other side needs to be replaced. Are there any "How To" articles or videos online that any of you are aware of?

There are very easy to replace, as aatauses said above the is a screw on each end, just remove the 2 screws and it slides out, just line the new one on the track and slide it in place and re attach the screws.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I have a 2013 Trail Runner, and my seals still look like new!

However, the slide side of the trailer is always in the shade and we leave the slide in unless we are out camping (5-6 times per year).

whp4262

I have a 2013 Trail Runner, and my seals still look like new!

However, the slide side of the trailer is always in the shade and we leave the slide in unless we are out camping (5-6 times per year).

Just guessing but I'll bet part of the problem is where we live i.e. Cool Colorado vs Scorching Texas etc.

JohnD

Just guessing but I'll bet part of the problem is where we live i.e. Cool Colorado vs Scorching Texas etc.

Yes, but it is very dry here at around 6000 feet above sea level in the land where they think 25% humidity is high.

soilmovers

Our '08 3055 has not had any problems with the slide seals. I inspected them after seeing the bulb slide seals disintegrate on our '12 3685. The '08 model has better quality materials as it has held up better overall, than the newer RV we own.

MCTalley

Well, I'll bump this thread up. Our 2015 Big Country (bought 3/26/15, built in 7/14) has several seals disintegrating already. Plan on working on them myself, probably at the upcoming rally. I would have put them in for my free repair at the rally, but didn't notice until too late to register for service.

We purchased this unit in Phoenix and it had probably sat for quite a while out in the hot desert sun for seven or eight months on the dealer's lot with the slides out.

dlw930

I had to replace all the top D seals on the slides on our 2011 Big Country that we bought in 2013. Not sure if it was heat damage from the sun or what that caused them to turn into gorilla snot. I ordered new seal from Heartland where it was actually cheaper than ordering from online shops. Removing the old seals and installing the new was pretty easy since the slides didn't have toppers.. I had to get a tube of Dicor caulk to run a bead along the crack at the top of the seal and the coach wall.

JohnD

I noticed when we traded in our 2013 Trail Runner a couple of weeks ago that the slide D seal was pulling loose from the side of the trailer.

I'm sure the dealership will replace it before they put it on the lot for sale!