Problems getting into RV Parks/Campgrounds with the size of 4200?

My fiancé and I are getting a 4200 to start full-timing in. We've heard people say not to get anything that long because you won't be able to get into many campgrounds. I would love to know if this has been a problem for anyone. I know that there are parks with limits a lot shorter than 44 ft, but are there other campgrounds nearby major attractions that will take a rig that big? We are planning on doing a lot of boon docking , especially out West. I would just like to know if the 4200 is going to be a hindrance in that area. Any input will be greatly appreciated!! We're total newbies to RVing, but we've been wanting to do this and planning on doing this for years! Thanks!

OEFVET

If possible it is best to call ahead and tell the campground your size trailer. I have stayed at many campgrounds this year, some even stating that they can only support units up to 30' and they were still able to accommodate my 4200 with no issues. Keep in mind with the 4200 you will want to put the side patio deck down. So you need to ask if there is enough room to extend your awning. (side deck doesn't extend as far as awning) I'm not saying it will fit in all campgrounds but most will have a site that will work. Look for pull through sites when available. Hope this helped. Happy camping.

If possible it is best to call ahead and tell the campground your size trailer. I have stayed at many campgrounds this year, some even stating that they can only support units up to 30' and they were still able to accommodate my 4200 with no issues. Keep in mind with the 4200 you will want to put the side patio deck down. So you need to ask if there is enough room to extend your awning. (side deck doesn't extend as far as awning) I'm not saying it will fit in all campgrounds but most will have a site that will work. Look for pull through sites when available. Hope this helped. Happy camping.

Thanks, OEFVET! We didn't want to start second guessing our decision for the 4200, but we want to make sure we consider everything. Since this will be our home, we want to make sure that we get exactly what we want and not have any unexpected troubles arise. (Even though I know some things are gonna happen!:eek:) Thanks for the advice!

Sniper

General you will have no issues finding campgrounds that can accommodate large rigs, however plan your trips in advance and reserve your site early when it comes to areas around major tourist attractions, and travel season holidays. (Example: If you show up in the Smoky Mountains during peek travel season without a reservation your chances of finding a campground is slim to none). Most State Parks will accommodate the larger rigs as well, but not all. National Parks are another story however. Plan accordingly and you'll do fine. Hope this helps some. Be safe and have fun.

iowaone

Our 4100 is almost as long. We have camped in it over 300 nights in the past two years. We have traveled from Iowa to Florida to Arizona to Vegas to Colorado to Iowa and places i between as well as other states nearby. We prefer state parks so move often. We have found that size rarely limited our choices any more than a 38 ft camper would have. We do plan ahead and choose sights carefully on internet reservation sights. Remember most sights list size but don't include overhang at rear so usually you can fit sites that are listed as 38 or 40 feet. Sometimes getting thru a tight wooded campground is a bigger problem than the site so check reviews to see any comments about that. So far never reserved a site I couldn't get into when I got there. Sometimes it was a tight fit though. As you gain experience you can get more daring in site selection. We don't boondock much so can't speak to that.

You our have to judge how daring you are and how big of worrier you are. Some would never feel good with a big unit, but it certainly does not create a problem for us. Planning ahead and asking questions are important you can not turn on a dime weather in a camp or gas station or tight streets but these are wonderful units once you are set up.

We we we ever wished we had a smaller camper? Yrs but only if it were a very small unit that could go anywhere!! Our previous unit was a 39foot fiver and this unit is not any more limiting than that one. We would have to go back to our pop up or 20 ft trailer to really have much more freedom or less worries.

Enjoy!!!

iowaone

Just another comment since you are newbies. Start off with easy sites and then as your experience and confidence grows you can be more daring in campground and site selection. Get a good system of giving each other directions when parking etc. and take your time. Plan on giving a lot of people entertainment as you park and getting asked. "How big is that thing". That 4200 is a very flexible camper you can use it so many ways and space is rarely a problem. We love our 4100. Just remember you have got a huge learning curve but a very rewarding one in our experience.

pegmikef

Corps of Engineers parks usually have sites that accommodate the larger rigs and at most parks the sites can be reserved over the internet (recreation.gov). The specs of every site are provided for each park. I always use Google map photos when picking out sites. As was already said, low hanging vegetation is more of a problem that site size.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My fiancé and I are getting a 4200 to start full-timing in. We've heard people say not to get anything that long because you won't be able to get into many campgrounds. I would love to know if this has been a problem for anyone. I know that there are parks with limits a lot shorter than 44 ft, but are there other campgrounds nearby major attractions that will take a rig that big? We are planning on doing a lot of boon docking , especially out West. I would just like to know if the 4200 is going to be a hindrance in that area. Any input will be greatly appreciated!! We're total newbies to RVing, but we've been wanting to do this and planning on doing this for years! Thanks!

My wife and I are new to RVing too and we bought a Ashland at 41.5 (really 42 feet) feet. We stick with KOA parks for most are pull throughs and can handle larger units. They will not even let you make a reservation if you unit is to big. A lot of the Good Sam RV parks also can handle larger units. The area that you get in trouble are National Parks and a lot of state parks cannot handle units larger than 30 feet in New Mexico..

Thanks everyone for all of the useful information! It's so nice to have this forum to come to for such great help, support, and I can tell lots of experience. We are really looking forward to getting our 4200. We won't be hitting the road for a few months due to some sick family members, so that will give us time to get used to RV life!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I also suggest that you get to any campsite before dark.

Most campgrounds are not very well lit and are very hard to see where you are going once the sun goes down!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One or two words of advise. Tell your partner this..."If you cant see my face in the rear view mirror..I cant see you. Use only the mirrors on the truck...do not look out the back window. You will turn the steering wheel the wrong way every time. I don't care how many times you have to pull forward to get into a site. A looong 5er will not react as quick as a short TT. Back up slow and follow the trailer with small steering wheel rotations. Just dont start turning the wheel lock to lock to correct the 5er. Its your money and your rig. Get out of the truck and look at everything around the campsite. Rocks.tree branches, where are the power, water and sewer hook ups. Make sure you leave enough room to open the slides and not hit anything. 4 feet is a good rule.

With all this said, look a round when you get parked and I'm sure people will be sitting in lounge chairs, drinking beer, eating popcorn and holding up score cards. LOL

dlw930

X2 what everyone said. I never back into a site without a spotter, because there's always one side of the coach that's blind unless I'm backing completely straight, and even then I can't see or judge distance of what's behind the coach. You'll learn and get more comfortable with experience just like we all have. The day you park it in a tight site on your first or second try (without scratching the coach or your tow) will be a day you mark on the calendar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Clay

May I suggest one thing if you are having to park after dark. (Recently had this happen to us, traffic and didn't get where we were going till late) Get out and look around, go inside and turn on the rear ramp lights and drivers side and off drivers side exterior lights. It gave my spotter more light to see with and I could also see better.

Randor

May I suggest one thing if you are having to park after dark. (Recently had this happen to us, traffic and didn't get where we were going till late) Get out and look around, go inside and turn on the rear ramp lights and drivers side and off drivers side exterior lights. It gave my spotter more light to see with and I could also see better.

That is an excellent suggestion. We have all those external lights on our units - might as well use them to their fullest.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here are a couple of suggestions. #1 If you watch full time RVers they will travel between 9am-3pm because they don't start until everyone is at work and get off the road before everyone gets off work. Also if you arrive around 3pm you can get into a park before it gets full and you can get setup prior to suppertime. #2 When backing up you can use a 2 way walkie talkie but if you have a handsfree cellphone in your tow vehicle that works better because the spotter can talk you back without any dropout. For example the time it takes to say stop on a walkie talkie you have already hit the tree, pole, whatever.

A great resource for finding RV Parks is www.mobilerving.com, or the mobilerving smartphone free app. You can ask it to find the closest park to where you are and get a listing and check out their amenities.

Power-Stroke

Lots of great suggestions.

I have also learned to asked several questions when making reservations....
- does your entrance/exit easily support large 5th wheels (big rigs)
- any low hanging trees, sharp curves, etc on the roads leading to your facility
- any "local knowledge" that I need to know before I arrive (i.e. gps may lead me astray, etc.)
- etc.

Spend some time planning and you will greatly reduce any issues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Lots of great suggestions.

I have also learned to asked several questions when making reservations....
- does your entrance/exit easily support large 5th wheels (big rigs)
- any low hanging trees, sharp curves, etc on the roads leading to your facility
- any "local knowledge" that I need to know before I arrive (i.e. gps may lead me astray, etc.)
- etc.

Spend some time planning and you will greatly reduce any issues.

And ask about speed bumps!

We drove through an RV park in Albuquerque that had more speed bumps than Doan's has pills (betcha haven't heard that one in awhile)!

Even taking it slow . . . it shook up a lot of stuff in the trailer.

And the worst part . . . the sites were too short so we didn't even get to stay there!

That reminds me . . . I need to give that place a bad review on Good Sam's as they had a great review record on Good Sam's, but our experience was terrible (there is a lot more to the story than just the speed bumps).

apc427

We have a 4200. We usually call and talk to the campgrounds about the length of it and the patio. We usually get pull thrus if we haven't been there before. We usually stay at good sams parks or KOAs. We haven't had a problem yet by calling ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk