Progressive Converter PD9260C

Westwind

In November I noticed when checking the battery on our 2012 3070RL I noticed the water level was real low, I started to check it and mark down the dates and realized that something was on the fritz when I started adding water every 3-4 weeks.
Fast Forward to 2-1/2 month snowbirding in Florida and noticed white powder on the FW leg near the battery compartment. I bent over and looked at the frame an under it and it was full of corrosion from battery acid.
Went to the store and got some baking soda to clean everything. When I get home I will have some sanding and
painting to do.
I've had a suspicion that the converter wasn't charging correctly. I checked voltage according to the Progressive web sites service manual. Everything c

Westwind

12 Volt Gremlin

Right now we are waiting for a rebuilt Progressive Industries Power Converter. Our OEM one was boiling our battery which might have to be replaced in the end also.
But yesterday we went out to supper and we think left our both bathroom lights on. When we got home we had no bathroom lights and had to take showers with no lights. Early the next morning I got up to turn the furnace on (trailer temp was 57) and I went back to bed, woke up about 30 minutes later with lights on in the bathroom.
The night before I had checked the 12 volt fuses and none of the lights were on ad the fuse looked good. But the next morning I did notice discoloring on the solder connection on the fuse board. Could it be overheating?
I'm scratching my head on this one - day two - no problems? Why would the lights go off and then come back on? What's the furnace got to do with it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 12 Volt Gremlin

Westwind, it sounds like you may have an intermittent connection problem.
I strongly suggest that you check all the screws on the neutral buss bar located behind the battery.
I have heard of some strange symptoms being caused by loose connections there.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If the furnace blower came on when you started the furnace, there should also have been 12V power to the lights at the same time. If the lights didn't come on until later, that does suggest a problem with DC power distribution, or as Dave suggested, perhaps with grounds.

With power and battery disconnected, you might take a look at the back side of the fusebox to see if connections are tight. Check the fuse box ground bus connections also.

Westwind

Good suggestions, the 12 Volt Box cover is coming off tomorrow and I think I'll be checking all connections in the battery, Hydraulic pump, and Buss Bar compartment, I think your suggestions are on the money.

wdk450

I wonder if the fuse was making an intermittent connection in its holder. It should light an indicator LED (with a load turned ON) if this happens. Intermittent connections cry out for mechanical tightening (if possible) and Caig Cramolyn Contact Cleaner/Restorer.
No, I don't own stock in CAIG - I wish I did.

Westwind

Bill, thanks for the suggestion on the cleaner, I was looking for a brand, our new converter just arrived. My wife just picked it up at the resort office. Tomorrow is install day, we are waiting for thunder/lightening and rain in a few hours so tomorrow I will need to unload the compartment. It will be a good time to straighten things up. Once I remove the
wall panels to get to it I would think it will be a easy install, just three wires and two screws
Then we hope our OEM unit is repairable. If it isn't I will get charged for a rebuilt unit, if it is repairable I will only be charged $100 plus $16 shipping.
When we get home I'll have to do some modifications to that so that water leaks won't harm it.

wdk450

Radio Shack has a small sized kit of the 2 Caig sprays for about $20. A better deal is to get it through Amazon or a professional electronics parts store in your area.

Westwind

I never posted the solution to the bathroom light intermittent performance, after installing the new converter I pulled the 12 Volt panel apart to check wire connections and sure enough the bathroom circuit wire loose in the spade connection and was causing the bad connection. Went to the tool box and found another that I could use. Glad I had bought soom and put them in the tool box, they came in handy.