Propane flow issue - Unsure of what part(s) is at fault

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Keith,

Is the problem bidirectional? That is, does it matter which side/tank it's switching to when the failure occurs. For example, if it always fails when switching to the doorside tank, you may have a problem with the pigtail or regulator on that side, or with the crossover hose.

If it always fails when switching to the off-doorside tank, you may have a bad pigtail on that side.

Dan, I am now convinced the problem is uni-directional. When the regulator is on the off door tank, the systems works as it should, switching tanks without a problem. However, when the system is on the door side tank, it will not switch tanks. I have to go outside and manually switch the tanks, then restart the furnace. There is a regulator on the door-side tank (not the auto-switching kind). I wonder if that could be the problem.

danemayer

Both the doorside regulator and the pigtail should be considered suspect. It could also be the crossover hose, but that's less likely.

A partial restriction is all it takes to drop the propane pressure below the threshold for the furnace. When that happens the furnace will blow lukewarm air IF it lights at all. Then at some point it won't light and the safety lockout kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD