PROPANE vs ELECTRIC

happykraut

If my Norcold refrigerator is in Auto, running on electric and I shut off the electric, I know it will switch to gas. Now I was wondering if I run on propane and run out of gas, will it switch to electric operation? Thanks in advance

rhodies1

If my Norcold refrigerator is in Auto, running on electric and I shut off the electric, I know it will switch to gas. Now I was wondering if I run on propane and run out of gas, will it switch to electric operation? Thanks in advance

Yes ,it is designed to switch back and forth as required,when hooked to electricity and on auto,it will operate on electricity first,then flip to propane should you lose your electrical connection.

Garypowell

thats a fairly specific set of circumstances. That while the electricity is off you run out of propane and then the electric comes back on.

since the controller is 12 volts if the battery was still providing enough power I would assume it would switch over since AC is the default mode. But if the battery was dead too my guess is the controller would shut off and not turn itself back on.

Try it.

danemayer

Bernie,

I believe the AUTO mode is intended to run with 120V as primary, automatically switching to propane if the 120V service drops for some reason. The reason could be a power failure, or a circuit breaker trips, or you unplug from shore power to tow to the next destination.

The Manual GAS mode is to run on propane. Because it's a 'manual' mode, if you run out of propane, I doubt it would automatically switch to 120V. Having the manual GAS mode allows you to manage power usage. If for example you're plugged into a 30 amp pedestal, forcing the fridge to run on propane only allows you to use the available power on other appliances. But of course, you need to manage the propane supply.

I think some Norcolds also have a manual Electric mode, where it will not switch to propane if the power drops. I'm not sure what scenario they're envisioning where that would be useful.

And of course, you need 12V DC for the control board regardless of which mode you're in.

happykraut

After reading the responses and then my own post again, I realized that I didn't post that right. In Auto and plugged in to a pedestal it won't run on gas and I know that. I was running in the Man Gas mode and realized I was getting very low on propane while I was still laying in bed this morning. So I'm thinking if I had run out of gas during the night, would it have switched to electric. I would think not, so I switched back to Auto.

danemayer

I believe our Norcold 2118 has two priority modes. 1. Making Electrical king. 2. Making Propane king. In either mode it will switch to the other it the first in missing. Chris

Actual Auto Electric or Auto Gas

Page 9.

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/OM_2118_636900A_201408221.pdf

Maybe you can run the experiment and see what happens. If 120V is present, is it possible to select the AUTO GAS mode? Or is that just an indicator light to let you know which fuel source is being used?

SNOKING

Maybe you can run the experiment and see what happens. If 120V is present, is it possible to select the AUTO GAS mode? Or is that just an indicator light to let you know which fuel source is being used?

My early statement was not correct!

If I cycle to auto, it lights both electrical and gas indicators, then the gas one goes off. So it electricity was not available it would default to auto gas. NOW it has no magic to turn on electricity if gas runs outs right? If electricity is restored it was switch back to electrical as most efficient source. So there is no way to default to gas other that manually selecting it.

We at times when only having 15amp service we will run water heater and refrig on gas!

happykraut

Dan it has Auto, LP or AC.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
First hand experience...we set up for an overnight last month on 50A service. We don't travel with the refer on unless it's summertime hot. When the DW turned on the refer she evidently also hit the mode button turning off the auto default to LP. We were running the furnace overnight and LP bottle #1 kicked during the night. The valve on bottle #2 was still closed so NO LP to refer or furnace. I heard the refer beeping and it had the error code for no LP. Even though we were on shore power but manually on LP, the refer erred out as I would expect.
The auto default is always electric. So NO 110v it'll switch to LP until power is restored then back to 110v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Dan it has Auto, LP or AC.
LP and AC are the manual modes where you tell it to run on LP or AC, but it won't switch automatically. AUTO will always run on 120V if power is available. I don't believe there's any way to force the AUTO function to run on LP if 120V is available. Therefore, there would be no automatic switching from LP to 120V operation unless it was a case where it started on 120V, power cut out, and later was restored.

Paradise2

My early statement was not correct!

If I cycle to auto, it lights both electrical and gas indicators, then the gas one goes off. So it electricity was not available it would default to auto gas. NOW it has no magic to turn on electricity if gas runs outs right? If electricity is restored it was switch back to electrical as most efficient source. So there is no way to default to gas other that manually selecting it.

We at times when only having 15amp service we will run water heater and refrig on gas!

We just purchased a 3575el...how do you find the size for living on the road. Any issues we should be aware of.

Thanks,

Lynette

SNOKING

We just purchased a 3575el...how do you find the size for living on the road. Any issues we should be aware of.

Thanks,

Lynette

We love it. Make sure the Dometic AC units have had the TSB performed. Tighten all the TV coax connectors on the backside of the face plates and UDC. Install a Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector with remote. Check my post for some of the little mods we have done. We love yours, it is very comfortable living in it. OH, and get a new mattress! We had a custom built one made in Marysville, Wa. Learning how to use the level up was confusing. I have a print out of the basic instructions in the basement by the control panel.

Enjoy the heck out of it. Feel free to ask questions. Chris