pros and cons ram 3500

Kathi-27

what owners think of factory rear air suspension over aftermarket air bags

Last edited:

ATLJOHN

We have first one airbags on my 2006 Chevy 3500 duality and it does help with the bouncing. I fill them manually to 27-28 lbs when towing our 2011 Bighorn 3670RL. They where pretty easy to install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATLJOHN

Sorry we have Firestone airbags on my dually. That auto spell checker likes to try to change the wording

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

what owners think of it over aftermarket air bags

I think they would help with a leveling issue and somewhat with smoothing out the ride somewhat. The leveling issue would be simple, just push the button and not worry about having to use a separate air compressor to inflate the bags.
But our 2107 Ram does NOT have the system installed, it is a Big Horn edition. When we hook up the Road Warrior it only squats about 4" and with that it is level.
The ride is not rough except where the roads are bad, like I-10 in Louisiana going toward Houston. Know what I mean?

Flick

I think they would help with a leveling issue and somewhat with smoothing out the ride somewhat. The leveling issue would be simple, just push the button and not worry about having to use a separate air compressor to inflate the bags.
But our 2107 Ram does NOT have the system installed, it is a Big Horn edition. When we hook up the Road Warrior it only squats about 4" and with that it is level.
The ride is not rough except where the roads are bad, like I-10 in Louisiana going toward Houston. Know what I mean?

Lol. I-10 around Beaumont and New Mexico interstates have the same last name.

sengli

When I was towing the big horn, it was just right. No harsh ride, and hardly squatted the truck. Now with the landmarks additional 3000 pounds, the trucks rides pretty harsh over bumps. Still rides pretty level, the harshness is on my radar for something to look into.

NYSUPstater

There is a fella on TL's forum who has a Ram w/ factory air ride towing a Mobile Suites 5er grossing lil north of 30k and swears by it. Always level, rides good.....loaded/unloaded.

Personally, I'm surprised that all 3 mfr's don't have or offer air ride like all the semi trucks do.

ILH

I have a 2018 RAM 3500 dually with the air suspension. Never have to worry about level. My previous 5th wheel was a toy hauler - heavy on the front-end. I'd hook up and wait about 30 seconds and the truck would level right up. My current trailer, a 2020 Landmark, although a heavier trailer overall, doesn't seem to affect my truck as much - nevertheless, the truck levels itself perfectly.

BTW, there's an alternate ride height button to lower the bed by a couple of inches. Came in handy when I was towing a trailer that was a bit nose high.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Have a 2016 Ram 3500 dually with the factory air. Love it! Levels automatically when hooking up, and provides an excellent ride. Went from a 2011 Big Country, to a heavier 2017 Landmark. Only difference I noted was a 1 mpg drop in fuel mileage. My thought, feel all 1 ton truck manufacturers should offer this feature.

sengli

Never had it either of my RAM HD's. On the RAM forum there seems to be an opinion that these factory air bag systems tend to not work as well in colder climates due to condensation causing pump failures.

NYSUPstater

Never had it either of my RAM HD's. On the RAM forum there seems to be an opinion that these factory air bag systems tend to not work as well in colder climates due to condensation causing pump failures.

This is kinda odd as semis don't seem to have any issues BUT then again, they have air driers on them as well so this may make a difference.