Prospective Heartland Trail Runner buyers, HELP!

My husband and I are looking to add to our growing family by purchasing a much anticipated travel trailer and are seriously considering the Heartland Trail Runner. We've been "looking" for two years and went to the Louisville Boat & RV show this year and fell in love with the Trail Runner. It meets our financial guidelines as well as the needs of our busy family (two little boys 4 & 3, and two old dogs).

We were comparing it to the Forest River Salem model, but weren't as pleased with overall quality.

Any advice??

Any help and advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!:eek:

jimtoo

HI carriedavid,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The Trail Runner has been a very popular unit and I'm sure you would have lots of fun making great memories with a new Trail Runner. I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon to give their views of the unit.

You will probably hear both good and the bad as we don't edit what folks post, unless it gets out of hand. Also the Heartland factory does a fabulous job of helping folks that do have problems. And one of the best tools is this forum, the Heartland Owners Forum and the support you get from other members. We also have the Heartland Owners Club where we have rallies, meet and greets, and just a lot of fun meeting folks and eating great food.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DonnyB007

Well, my wife and I purchased a new TR25SLE, Trail Runner. It has no slides, but does have 2 bunks in the rear. We added a TV and satellite, front diamond stone guard plate, Husky Centre-Line equalizer hitch, Husky power tongue, vent covers up on the roof, Toy Lok with an 18 foot cable, and a small washer spin dryer with additional high speed spin dryer. I checked out the trailer prices over the Internet and we feel we got a great deal.

We decided not to go with the slides as they seem to have problems and added considerably more money to the purchase price. The tires are great, springs and axles are good, 30 pound propane tanks are super, and we got a top notch battery 27 AGM.

Ok, the draw back is the GVWR at 6900 pounds and that leaves you with only 2040 pounds of cargo. If you do not travel with any grey or black water and just a half tank of fresh water, then it's not that bad. I will be nip and tuck with my gross vehicle weight rate, but combined with my truck and the equalizer bars, it should be ok. Oh, I got a back up camera for my truck for hitching. Anyway, really think about your Weights of both your trailer and truck BEFORE purchase and do your own home work on this one.

But yes, it's a great well made trailer you will be happy with for many years to come.

Carmenh

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I don't know if my opinion counts, but I just bought a Trailrunner scout 14rb and I'm thrilled with it. It seems really well thought out and solid...

oldmannj

bought my 'Runner preowned in August and had it out 3 times last year. Haven't had to fix anything yet !!! Couldn't have said that for my SOB. (not a Forest River) seems it always needed something. Saw that you have dogs, get one with slides or you'll end up living outside while the dogs lounge in the AC. LOL Heartland's customer service is top notch, but you can get next to new for much less money. I'd check out used TT's as well. All in all buy the rig that fits you best and enjoy it is the best advice anyone can give you. ED