prospective new landmark owner here

jlsr

Hi,
We are just starting our search for a fifth wheel RV that is warrantied for full time living. So far we like the front living room plans best. While we are not quite ready to retire we would like one with quality to last many years. We will be retiring in about 5 years.

We really like the Landmark features and are planning to look at a Madison this weekend. My husband also likes the Newport plan. He does use our current camper to stay in when he works out of town and thought the front bath plan was great.

Just wanted to say 'Hi' and we enjoy reading the posts. Researching everything so we can make the best decision for us!

jimtoo

Hi jlsr,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions, just ask and I'm sure a Heartlander will help with an answer.

Hope to see you at a rally in a Landmark.

Jim M

"Hi-Viz" Bill

We also loved the LM Madison, the front living was impressive. However, once the "lil wife" walked into a Newport, she was sold. The huge front bath & the VERY handy 1/2 bath, were definitely great selling pts. The queen bed left nice room on both sides to get in n out of it, and also to make it. And in our opinion, the huge amount storage area, sealed the deal. Although, we haven't got to use it yet, we are very happy with our decision!!!

jlsr

That is awesome bill n sue. I bet that extra bathroom is really handy. My hub really likes the Newport plan. It will all come down to how many grandkids can sleep over in which plan!!

"Hi-Viz" Bill

And, with grandkids .. the extra 1/2 bath, JUST inside the entrance door, means you can still have "your space & privacy" up front w the bedroom & main bath !!! Jus Sayin !!

jlsr

Well we looked at the Madison on Saturday. Loved the front living area but the kitchen not so much. It seemed a little closed in with the u shaped counterspace. The dealer had said in an email to me on Friday they had a Madison and a Newport. No Newport was there to look at. Apparently he meant one of their other locations had one because there was not one on the lot. Really liked the cabinetry and quality of the Landmark though. We will have to find a Newport to look at elsewhere I suppose. Was not impressed with the dealer at all.

"Hi-Viz" Bill

JLSR !! One more thing to think about, that we REALLY like about our Newport ... When travelling, and the slides in, the Refrigerator is accessible and also, so is the 1/2 bathroom !!!

TxCowboy

Hello from full timers in Rockport! We have the Key West but also really like the Madison with its front living room and very nice bedroom. Good luck on your decision and feel free to ask any questions you might have. :)

jlsr

Thanks all for the comments! Bill n Sue, that is definitely something to think about! We have been looking over the floor plans tonight and are really drawn to the Newport. However I still like the Madison; just not sure about the kitchen. I think we also need to take a look at one with the lighter color leather. The one we looked at was dark. It made it seem dark inside. I wish there was an option for white cabinetry. Sure would open up the living and kitchen areas and brighten it up.

TXCowboy, we did especially like the bedroom in the Madison. We are in no rush but hope to find one before camping season next year. We do have to sell our current 5th Wheel first anyway.

Thanks all,

Mburtsvt

Thanks all for the comments! Bill n Sue, that is definitely something to think about! We have been looking over the floor plans tonight and are really drawn to the Newport. However I still like the Madison; just not sure about the kitchen. I think we also need to take a look at one with the lighter color leather. The one we looked at was dark. It made it seem dark inside. I wish there was an option for white cabinetry. Sure would open up the living and kitchen areas and brighten it up.

TXCowboy, we did especially like the bedroom in the Madison. We are in no rush but hope to find one before camping season next year. We do have to sell our current 5th Wheel first anyway.

Thanks all,

OK here is my 6 month observation of being a Madison owner. This is my 5th RV in 25 years, second 5th wheel. I tow with a 2015 Ford F-350. Totally awesome drive. I ordered it in Oct of 2015 - taking delivery in early Feb. My wife and I spent the first 4 months of 20016 living in the RV.

I ordered it with what I wanted. I’m not going to go into the additional features added to the RV - but just focus on it’s livability. After seeing my first front living room RV I knew that my next 5th wheel would be a front living, (FL), type. I do not need the extra front living space for grandchildren, (I do have one), but I do watch a lot of TV. The 65 inch LG was a major reason.

Overall I love the floor plan. There is enough space to get away from my wife. Thats not a bad thing BTW.

I love having the rear door. We can still pul into a rest stop and get to the bathroom. Great feature. I like the kitchen arrangement. Its great to have all of the counter space. We travel with two coffee makers and several tall bottles, (don’t ask - don’t tell).

Things I did not consider when I decided on the Madison - I did not realize how much I would be going up and down the three steps to the front. I’m OK with it, but its a lot of up and down all the time. I don’t like how low the reclining seats are in the front. I have had knee surgery and its just hard to get in and out of the recliner. I will be changing this out later.

I don’t get the TV in the kitchen area. I have never even turned it on. It may be removed later.

Interior storage is more than adequate . I can’t fill all of the space with stuff, but I’m working on it. The under storage is a little small, but we don;t carry a lot of “Camping” equipment. I DO NOT like the placement of the optional safe. It”s in a cabinet above the head of the bed. With the king size sleep number bed you can’t get to the safe without walking on the bed. A better option would have been the cabinet above the washer/dryer space. I may change that in the future.

Thats about it. I can answer specific questions as they come up.

jlsr

Thank you VERY much for the informative, detailed review of the Madison, Mburtsvt! Your comments are so helpful. We are thinking about looking at the Madison again that we went to see last weekend, but this time calling ahead (and asking for a different sales person) so that they can have the air on and lights. And really take our time looking at it. The one we went to see was new but a 2016 model that they have some pretty good discounts on.
Thanks again,

Mburtsvt

Thank you VERY much for the informative, detailed review of the Madison, Mburtsvt! Your comments are so helpful. We are thinking about looking at the Madison again that we went to see last weekend, but this time calling ahead (and asking for a different sales person) so that they can have the air on and lights. And really take our time looking at it. The one we went to see was new but a 2016 model that they have some pretty good discounts on.
Thanks again,

FYI - I ordered in Oct 2015 - got it in Feb of 2016 and the sell price was 34.7% off of MSRP. Just an FYI.

jlsr

Thank you very much for that FYI! Wish they would give us what we want for our current 5th wheel. I would trade tomorrow if we could get a deal like that.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
If you are thinking about adding a washer/dryer, look at the location it will be in the Madison. I have heard from folks who do alot of traveling with this arrangement and are having problems with the stackable w/d in the rear cap. There seems to be alot of bouncing in the rear creating anchoring problems.

jlsr

If you are thinking about adding a washer/dryer, look at the location it will be in the Madison. I have heard from folks who do alot of traveling with this arrangement and are having problems with the stackable w/d in the rear cap. There seems to be alot of bouncing in the rear creating anchoring problems.

Thanks! For the next couple years we would not have washer / dryer. May have to though when we sell our house. That is a few years out tho.

Mburtsvt

Nado is right!
We have the washer/dryer combo. It does move around a lot! I’m thinking of doing a spring loaded false floor to put the washer/dryer on. My closet rod pulled away from the top at the rear by the bouncing down the road. We put our hanging stuff on the bed when we travel now.

jlsr

Hi,
Have a couple more questions.
Regarding the rally in Canton, can we just come for the day on Saturday? Not with our camper (it's not a heartland anyway).

Also our truck is a 2015 Chevy 3500 HD 4x4 duramax diesel long bed but not a dually. Is it enough truck to pull a Madison or Newport? We have the b&w companion hitch.

Thanks

Fulltimers

We attended our first HOC Rally in Wetherford, TX before we had our Newport and were welcomed with open arms. We have a 2011 GMC 3500 dually duramax 4X4 and pulls our Newport effortlessly. This truck does not have the B&W and I miss it, but it came with a Reese 20K. We will be at the Canton Rally NLT the 9th. We have been full timing since 2005. Looking forward to Canton.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi,
Have a couple more questions.
Regarding the rally in Canton, can we just come for the day on Saturday? Not with our camper (it's not a heartland anyway).

Also our truck is a 2015 Chevy 3500 HD 4x4 duramax diesel long bed but not a dually. Is it enough truck to pull a Madison or Newport? We have the b&w companion hitch.

Thanks

Sure, come on out! We will be having lunch at ExploreUSA in Canton. They can fix you right up with a new Heartland! ;)
I will be posting the agenda in a week or so, so remember to check it out.