Provider ST tires

whp4262

Don't want to start the LT vs. ST tire discussion just pass on a little information for those that want to stay with ST tires. I have been buying tires from a place called Taskmaster Components in Missouri for my flat bed trailers for several years. During that time I can only remember having 1 blowout despite the fact that I have occasionally overloaded my trailers like the time I hauled a tractor from Wisconsin to Texas. I used to be able to order tires online from the company but I think they were bought out buy a Texas company and that feature is no longer available and now you have to purchase the tires through discount tire. I called the company in Texas and asked if the ST235/80R-16s were made here in the US. I was told they were so I ordered a set from Discount tire Direct for my Cyclone through discount tire and when I got them it said made in China right there on the side wall. Now I'm not as concerned about where they are made as I am about the quality control processes of the company that is having them made since most if not all of the ST tires are made in China anyway. The name these tires go by is Provider, they are a 10 ply tire with an N speed rating (87 mph) and they claim they are built to withstand a 15% overload. Now the true test will be how they they hold up on the trailer. I will update this post in the future with information on how they are holding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the information. People are always looking for a good trailer tire, which seem to be hard to find.
What is the weight rating on the Provider tires?

Peace
Dave

Gary521

If you are concerned with the quality control process, why the heck did you buy these tires?

whp4262

Thanks for the information. People are always looking for a good trailer tire, which seem to be hard to find.
What is the weight rating on the Provider tires?

Peace
Dave

The single wheel weight rating is 3520 at 80 psi

whp4262

If you are concerned with the quality control process, why the heck did you buy these tires?

I'm not, you misunderstood what I meant. Anything you buy can be good or bad and I think the company's quality control process is more important than where the product is made. I have had good look with Taskmaster in the past but they do appear to be under new ownership and that can have a huge impact on quality for the better or the worse but I think they need a fair chance before making a decision.

JanAndBill

I found this site for online orders direct with Taskmaster, which appears to be about $20/tire cheaper, but I don't know about shipping costs. http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/acatalog/tires.html I could only find limited specifications on the tire on either Taskmaster or Discount. Where did you see the speed rating? The good thing is that it is a radial as opposed to a bias ply.

danemayer

A few weeks ago we had a thread discussing tire specs where one web site showed a speed rating 0f 105 mph and another showed the same 105 but it was labeled kph. 105 kph is equivalent to 65mph, which is the typical rating for ST tires. I think the 105 mph was just a "translation" error.

These tires might actually be rated for 95 mph, but until you can get some confirmation, I'd view it with a little skepticism. I wouldn't assume the 'N' rating is a confirmation. Someone could easily have backed into the rating from the 95 mph number.

whp4262

I found this site for online orders direct with Taskmaster, which appears to be about $20/tire cheaper, but I don't know about shipping costs. http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/acatalog/tires.html I could only find limited specifications on the tire on either Taskmaster or Discount. Where did you see the speed rating? The good thing is that it is a radial as opposed to a bias ply.

That was the web site I used to use to order tires but now when you select "add to cart" you get a message that says page not found.

The speed rating is a little hard to find but if you go to discounttiredirect.com and select tires on the home page. It will give you a search by vehicle or search by size. Use search by size for 235-80-16 and it will bring up available tires. The first option is bias ply and the second is Taskmaster radial. Under the Taskmaster logo you will see an underlined Speed Rating. If you click it a window will open with a chart showing a speed rating N - Up to 87 mph.

Sumo

Even if the tires are rated for 95 mph, why would anybody try and tow that fast.
I have a duramax, so I could, but why?

whp4262

I have my doubts about the 95 mph speed rating as well for a 10 ply ST tire.

N rating is 87 according to the chart not 95 and you are right on the ply rating. Went and looked and it's 2 polyester 2 steel 1 nylon.

whp4262

Even if the tires are rated for 95 mph, why would anybody try and tow that fast.
I have a duramax, so I could, but why?

Well the tires on my 71 Jaguar XKE V12 are rated at 150+ but I've never driven it that fast but it's nice to know that I shouldn't have to worry about heat build up at the speeds I do drive it.

whp4262

Thought I would add one little tidbit to my post. The number of plies a tire had was used to determine the tire's strength on the old bias tires. On radial tires the ply rating is used as an indication of equivalent strength and does not reflect the actual number of plies used to construct the carcass of a radial tire.

Gary521

Just to add to my earlier comment. A lot of people have had good luck with Towmax but that does not make them good. With all the issues with ST tires made in China, It should be obvious that there are quality issues. The tires that you purchased are some brand that I doubt that anybody has heard of. If you have some off brand of Chinese tires, I would be highly suspicious that the quality just ain't there. Just because it says in the documentaion that they wear better, or whatever they claim don't make it so. Its a crap shoot. I realize that just because its made in China does not make it bad and it appears that there are a couple of brands that may be OK. Furthermore, there are several things returning to our shores to be made just because there is not the quality control necessary over there. Remember the Lippert springs that failed, the lead in the toys, the poison in the dog treats.

Sumo

Well the tires on my 71 Jaguar XKE V12 are rated at 150+ but I've never driven it that fast but it's nice to know that I shouldn't have to worry about heat build up at the speeds I do drive it.

If I had a Jaguar XKE V12 I'd drive at 150 mph every chance I could. With-out the trailer, of course. LOL

whp4262

Just to add to my earlier comment. A lot of people have had good luck with Towmax but that does not make them good. With all the issues with ST tires made in China, It should be obvious that there are quality issues. The tires that you purchased are some brand that I doubt that anybody has heard of. If you have some off brand of Chinese tires, I would be highly suspicious that the quality just ain't there. Just because it says in the documentaion that they wear better, or whatever they claim don't make it so. Its a crap shoot. I realize that just because its made in China does not make it bad and it appears that there are a couple of brands that may be OK. Furthermore, there are several things returning to our shores to be made just because there is not the quality control necessary over there. Remember the Lippert springs that failed, the lead in the toys, the poison in the dog treats.

To answer your statement about some brand that no one has heard of all I can say is I bought a new flat bed trailer in 2003 that came from the manufacturer with Taskmaster tires. I had good luck with them so I have stuck with this brand for the last 10 years and have only had one blow out that was probably not the fault of the tire. The tires I have bought from them over the last 10 years have been 15" so this is the first set that I have bought that are 16". That's why in my original post I said that I would update the post in the future based on my experience with these tires.

JanAndBill

I'm with you Sumo, if I was on a section of interstate without traffic, I'm afraid the temptation to open it up and blow out the cob webs would be to great to resist.

As to tires from china, I tried a few in our over the road operation several years ago. The quality just wasn't there, but that doesn't mean they haven't made improvements in the years since. I for one would be interested in updates on the success you're having with these.