Pullrite hitch question

I have read in the manual for my Pullrite 18K fifth wheel hitch that routine maintenance is needed. The job requires some dis assembly of the hitch. I have read the instructions and could probably figure it out on my own. I'm just a little nervous as the hitch is the only thing keeping the trailer connected to the truck.

I was at the Fayetteville/Hope Mills NC Camping World a couple of months ago and asked the service people if they could do the maintenance. There response was that they had never heard of that and would not know how to perform the task.

Anyone ever done the maintenance or know where I could probably have it done? Thanks

jnbhobe

Depending on the age of the hitch there are different maintenance routines, I think the newer ones just use WD-40 to lube the slide rails and the pivot points need spray lithium.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have read in the manual for my Pullrite 18K fifth wheel hitch that routine maintenance is needed. The job requires some dis assembly of the hitch. I have read the instructions and could probably figure it out on my own. I'm just a little nervous as the hitch is the only thing keeping the trailer connected to the truck.

I was at the Fayetteville/Hope Mills NC Camping World a couple of months ago and asked the service people if they could do the maintenance. There response was that they had never heard of that and would not know how to perform the task.

Anyone ever done the maintenance or know where I could probably have it done? Thanks

DIY...Lubrication, Inspection, Protection.
Find the owners manual here...http://www.pullrite.com/sites/pullrite/files/4100-4400 SG Owners Manual `10-1-14 revC2_0.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

If your hitch is fairly new - I wipe off the rails and use WD40 to lube (including the joint in the plastic block). I use WD40 on the cross pivot point (rocking side to side). I use WD40 on the saddle pivot points (rocking front to back). I use lithium on the flat surface. I pull off the head and flip it over. Then I wipe down the jaw mechanism and use WD40 - slide the locking mechanism back and forth. (I also use lithium on the flat steel adapter panel on the king pin). I check the flange nut to see if it needs adjusting.

EPaulikonis

I have a 20K PullRite. Most of the MX is just spraying moving parts under the saddle with lubricant. I used silicone spray on mine to lube the springs and catch mechanism. The one major piece is the rocker bolt located on the cross beam under the saddle that holds the assembly together. You need to remove it annually and add grease to the bolt. It's really simple to pull the bolt out, lube it up, and reinstall. There's a spring clamp setup that you can compress by just pushing down when reinstalling the pin. The saddle is removed before pulling the bolt out and isn't put back on until you have the bolt back in place. Just follow torque specs when reinstalling and you'll have no problem.