Quadruple Tow

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Say what you will with an informed or uniformed opinion, hauling two trailers is not that hard. Every 5er we have owned has had a hitch on it to haul our boat or our jet skis. We have a company down in Denver that specializes in hitch design and installation and when done their way not only does it reinforce the frame it makes it so you can tow safely. This configuration is called triple tow, in Colorado anyway. We are allowed 70 feet max here. Should everyone do it? No. Can you do it safely with the right set up? Of course, we have been doing it for years and are still here with no damaged equipment. While not easy by any means you can back this combo up too. To accomplish that you need to start by reversing your process with one trailer so that the rear trailer goes the correct direction.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Say what you will with an informed or uniformed opinion, hauling two trailers is not that hard. While not easy by any means you can back this combo up too. To accomplish that you need to start by reversing your process with one trailer so that the rear trailer goes the correct direction.

Right you are. Imagine 2 or 3 hay wagons in tow, each with its own steering axle. Although speed are much lower it's quite manageable provided one has room to swing wide on the turns!!!
The issue with the 5er and the boat isn't so much length, if it's legal in your state, is the integrity of the hitch attached to the 5er. Have seen many such setups in the northern states while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a company down in Denver that specializes in hitch design and installation and when done their way not only does it reinforce the frame it makes it so you can tow safely.

Are you talking about Lamperts?

Been there many times . . . even with my current truck!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have seen UPS and Fed Ex truck hauling 3 trailers usually on the interstate or turnpike up north. That type of setup is not used in cities.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have seen UPS and Fed Ex truck hauling 3 trailers usually on the interstate or turnpike up north. That type of setup is not used in cities.

I see Fed Ex and UPS trucks with three trailers all the time around Denver on the interstates.

porthole

Retired
But my point was Heartland does not install 2" receiver hitches on a 41' RV because the frames are not designed to tow another trailer behind them.

That is correct.
But the trailer shown does offer a 300/3000 pound trailer hitch just for that purpose. And a frame that can handle it.

WELDED HITCH RECEIVER

FIT's integrated hitch receiver can haul 3,000 pounds of additional cargo (300 lb. tongue capacity).

Carleen

With the dually and toy hauler I'm just under the 65 ft limit... I think this rig is over???
7151b6d855da6465d57fbe3e5922acd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood comes with a hitch from factory designed to triple tow- My Dad just sold his 2013 Redwood with factory hitch for a Diesel Pusher two months ago. I have followed him triple towing for years. They are designed for a 3000 lb towing capacity and the frame is supported for the tail swing side to side while towing (can be problematic on other trailers by laying the frame down if not supported for towing). Pontoon boats are actually light weight when compared to other fiberglass boats- so that is preferred. Dad towed his little Jeep behind the 5th wheel last year and it did great. He was right at the weight limit, but there were no issues. There are some states that have length limits, so he would have to research his route prior to travelling. In Colorado- it is not unusual at all to see this. A huge majority are towing their speed boat behind the 5th wheel- but they have framework done to support the weight. Most people use that shop in Loveland because he is the only one that will do it- the guy is actually really good.

rhodies1

Every time you think you've seen it all . . . another screwball shows up!

I can't even begin to think about how dangerous that must be . . .

I wonder if the guy next to the 5'ver with the yellow stripe on his pants is a cop that pulled this guy over :confused:[/QUOTE

Yes he is a cop,I'm from Canada and this is the RCMP police standing by the unit,he was probably scratching his head wondering what this person was a thinking,I'm sure U Haul would be impressed.

CaptnJohn

Every time you think you've seen it all . . . another screwball shows up!

I can't even begin to think about how dangerous that must be . . .

I wonder if the guy next to the 5'ver with the yellow stripe on his pants is a cop that pulled this guy over :confused:[/QUOTE

Yes he is a cop,I'm from Canada and this is the RCMP police standing by the unit,he was probably scratching his head wondering what this person was a thinking,I'm sure U Haul would be impressed.

Give him credit for getting it all done in 1 trip. He may need credit to pay the fines. Looks like the back bumper may be sitting close to the road.... He is lucky the RCMP caught him before the weight police. Surely he is over GCVWR and they would have no mercy but the RCMP may.

Rollin_Free

Maybe he trying to figure out if the truck hitch is overweight or is it the car hauler that is overweight? Can you charge the truck if there isn't a driver?