Quality Deep Cycle Battery for mpg

rle9599

First off - Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm still working on my "new" 3 year old mpg 185. Mom has the original "Interstate" SRM-24 sitting on charge in the garage - never been used/cycled - I'm not going to mess with a 3+ year old battery. I have never owned a "deep cycle" battery. What brand battery is everyone using? I can't imagine it will make a huge difference because I plan on RVing at AC/Water facilities, so a battery will be used for backup in case of power failure.

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_133231_256.jpg
    IMG_20131213_133231_256.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 30

priorguy

Optima blue top is supposed to be really good. Otherwise Trojan 6V is the wAy many go, but mostly for boondocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you don't plan on any extended boondocking or walmart parking lot stays, you should be fine with a standard RV Battery. I've had good luck with Interstates. I had a 24 series when the rig was new and at 5 years moved up a bit to a 27 series. The main thing is to keep an eye on the water levels. A cut off switch is a good idea during storage periods to prevent parasitic drain.

wdk450

With all other factors being equal for you, a main concern might be where you can get a warranty replacement most easily. even if you are away from home. With that in mind, WalMart or Sears might be your choices.

whp4262

I used the Maxx deep cycle batteries from Walmart in my class A (it took 4 of them). They would last about 3 years, probably not the best but ok and easy to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

I've had good luck with our first RV and it's Interstate Battery, our FW had an Exide and I'm not that happy with it, I would definitely recommend a Interstate, it will be my next Battery. Everyone has their personal preference as you will find out by these postings.