Question About the Yetti Package

crmfghtr

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place. My Landmark has the Yetti Package installed. The last few days it has been below 26 degrees here. I turned the switch on for the Yetti cold weather package. I have been leaving it on, is this ok or should I turn it off when the temp. rises above freezing ? We are not occuping the Landmark. From what I understand the Yetti Pack is supposed to keep the tanks and water lines from freezing, by warming with heat pads etc. Does anyone have any information on this ?

Thanks,

danemayer

Hi Robert & Maria,

I'm assuming you have shore power at the RV all the time. The switch turns on the tank heaters which use 110V. I believe the water line heater is 12V and will consume battery if not on shore power - probably independent of whether the control panel switch is on. To stop this, you'd turn the battery cutoff to the off position.

I've left our tank heating pads on for up to 6 weeks while on a ski trip. But you do need to keep a little water in the tanks to prevent the heating pads from overheating and damaging the tank, or damaging the pad. After dumping the tanks, add 5 gallons or so into each tank.

If you have an icemaker, you need to winterize it - the water feed line on most is exposed to outside air and will freeze and crack. You also can damage the solenoid on the back of the fridge. Yeti doesn't protect these areas.

Other unprotected areas that could suffer freeze damage include the water pump, washing machine and its water hoses, toilet valve, check valves.

crmfghtr

Hi Dan & Ann,
There is water in the fresh tank, a little in the Black tank, and maybe a smidgen in the gray tanks. I have the fridge off. We were planning on using the rig next week so I haven't winterized it yet. I was concerned about leaving the yetti pack on, running all the time. So do you think running the yetti pack for a week will be ok ?

The rig is connected to the house on 50 amp with the battery switch off. Should I run the furnace, maybe set it at 60 degrees or ? One of the reason I choose this rig is because of the insulation value(s). This past summer I wrapped all the pex lines in the basement area with foam pipe wrap. Because we live in the mountains, it snows alot and gets really cold here.

Best Regards,

danemayer

I think you'd be ok running the tank heaters for a week, but add some water to the gray tanks to avoid damage. Nothing wrong with running the furnace while you're away, as long as you have enough propane.

The refrigerator icemaker feed line and solenoid will freeze if you don't evacuate the water from the feed lines and solenoid - the furnace and Yeti package will not protect it.

rgwilliams69

Can I ask a quick question on the ice maker on this thread (since there are some mentions)? I have disconnected/drained both lines from either side of the solenoid valve, so I think I'm good. The question I have is that when I reconnect to water the feed is going to be back on, right? Is there somewhere you can stop water from traveling through the ice maker feed line from the tank to the solenoid? We do not envision using the ice maker much and cutting the water off at the source would keep us from having to fool with it. I have a 2013 Cyclone 4100 but figure the fridge (Norcold) and tank setup are similar. The water line to my ice maker solenoid is NOT a pex line (looks like the standard stuff you use in a house feed). Thanks!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Can I ask a quick question on the ice maker on this thread (since there are some mentions)? I have disconnected/drained both lines from either side of the solenoid valve, so I think I'm good. The question I have is that when I reconnect to water the feed is going to be back on, right? Is there somewhere you can stop water from traveling through the ice maker feed line from the tank to the solenoid? We do not envision using the ice maker much and cutting the water off at the source would keep us from having to fool with it. I have a 2013 Cyclone 4100 but figure the fridge (Norcold) and tank setup are similar. The water line to my ice maker solenoid is NOT a pex line (looks like the standard stuff you use in a house feed). Thanks!

There should be a cutoff valve for the water line, either behind your UDC area in the basement (you'll have to remove the access panel in the cargo bay to look), or possibly behind the refrigerator (remove the lower outside access panel for the fridge to chack). Just draining the water from the lines will not get the water out of the solenoid. You have to blow air through the water line to clear the solenoid. If you have an icemaker, you have to clear the water out of the ice maker mechanism using either the manufacurer's technique (should be in your user manual) or see Danemyer's recent post (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...d-with-compressed-air?highlight=cheater+cord) on a do-it-yourself switch to clear the system out.

Last edited:

rgwilliams69

Thanks boatto5er. The instructions in the Norcold manual only referenced disconnecting/draining the lines and then wrapping both line ends and the solenoid in plastic bags. During our PDI my dealer/service team also showed me how to activate the solenoid with a 110v line to run antifreeze all the way into the ice tray/freezer - which was done as well. But neither the manual or dealer said anything about using compressed air. I think I am good to go but might blow it out to be sure. Do you have to activate it to be able to blow through it (I would think)? At any rate I am going to find that cutoff or make one in the protected (dock or basement) because even though I capped the feed at the solenoid it will still get water in it every time I pressurize. Hopefully there will be something already there I can use.

Or heck maybe I'll start using the ice maker - but I doubt it. :)

Thanks again for the pointers. Trying to figure this new rig out and Norcold equipment is completely new to me.

Cheers!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Anti-freeze will leave a bitter taste in the system for quite awhile next spring. I never use it for the fridge, just compressed air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgwilliams69

Yes to me it seemed not a good idea to put the antifreeze through there, but they had already done it before I arrived to pick the unit up. Guess now I'll have to figure out a way to flush it, but suppose I could just activate the solenoid and let the water flow into the catch bucket for a bit. Didn't realize I would be having so much fun with the ice maker!

crmfghtr

Thanks Dan for the info, I'll check the lines and evacuate them tomorrow. Where's the Solenoid located on the Key Largo, is it in the same location as your previous post ?

We love this Key Largo...

danemayer

Thanks Dan for the info, I'll check the lines and evacuate them tomorrow. Where's the Solenoid located on the Key Largo, is it in the same location as your previous post ?

We love this Key Largo...
On the Dometic 1350, it's on the back of the refrigerator and is accessed by removing the lower outside panel. I'd expect it's similar on other refrigerators.