Question for Bighorn Owners

We are looking to begin full time RVing soon. Being on a fairly tight budget we have been looking at used older units. We are wondering how well they stand up over time. Example: A 2011 Bighorn 38' 3585RL with 3 slides. What should a person be looking for regarding this home? Problem areas? Thoughts anybody?

danemayer

Hi Elatta1954,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

There are quite a few forum members who have 2011 or older Bighorns. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 2011 3585RL and love it. The only thing we had a problem with is some frame flex and a few minor issues that I have taken care of. Just part of owning a big trailer.
Look at the trim around the overhang in front for caulk separation. Heartland repaired it no charge.
It's a great trailer that serves us well.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

You will occasionally see a few rigs that might have had a micro range problem or other similar concern from a bad batch of parts but I would think all of those concerns would be addressed by now.

The biggest concern is how did the previous owner(s) take care of the rig. I would think a private sale would be the best but pay someone to inspect the rig and probably budget 10% - 15% to fix what they don't find.

We Have always bought new and the payments are not that bad and starting with only factory problems is nice.

Remember any rig is like having a part time job taking care of it!

Mrsfish

If you have a specific rig that you are looking at rather than a particular model, I would suggest obtaining the VIN, calling heartland and seeing if there is a 'past'.

Ndrhsr

I would take a look at the tires, (rating/wear) check the calking on the top where the fiberglass cap meets the roof membrane. Look for water stains on the ceilings & under the mattress. Check the rubber slide seals especially the top ones.These are all potential problem areas.

brianlajoie

Don't know your experience level, so I will assume nothing.

You should also have a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) list and expect it to take awhile (several hours) going through the trailer. This will help you inspect the trailer and get a little familiar with the various systems on board. Ask to video the experience so that you have reference material. The idea of an inspection in also a good one - make sure the inspector is certified. All the paper work should be with the trailer. We have a small box with every component brochure and manual. There are resources on this forum for PDI lists. Also use web sites like RVT, RVtrader and ppl motorhomes to help you with market resources (prices and features) on used trailers. I would also check the date on the tires and not accept anything older than a couple of years.