Question for guys who know about tires than me.

iawoody2

First let me state my weights from the CAT scale. My Sundance ready to travel weights 11900-12300, and trailer axle weight is 9200-9600. I check tires too make sure they are at 80psi cold before travel each day, and set the cruise at 65. I know there is much discussion about the Tow Max tires and their problems. Am I taking a big chance considering my weights, or should I change tires? I have about 2000 miles on them now. I am not going to change rims, not a option for me. The two tires I am considering are Michelin XPS RIB and BF Goodrich Commercial TA. My tire dealer will allow me $300 for my 5 tires on trade for 5 new ones. The price on the road for the Michelin's is $1401 versus $695 for the BFG's. Just looking for comments on this. Also what about Maxxis ST tires?
Thanks, Bob

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't tell you which ones to buy. But I can tell you, better tires are a smart investment. Too much roulette with the TowMax, IMHO.

We went with Maxxis, and after those were needing replacement, we went with Maxxis again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

caissiel

I would not trust the cat scale weight for axle weight of 9600 lbs but any LT tires will outperform ST tires on 6000 lb axles. They will last longer and will possibly run cooler.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Maxxis ST sounds like your best bet.....mine have been bullet proof. ($700 installed and balanced for 16" E rated) Stay away from the lower rated LT tires as the sidewall can't take the sideways dragging abuse.

iawoody2

I would not trust the cat scale weight for axle weight of 9600 lbs but any LT tires will outperform ST tires on 6000 lb axles. They will last longer and will possibly run cooler.

I totally trust the scale. It has 3 plates front axle of truck, rear axle of truck, and trailer axle. I then unhooked the trailer to get it's total weight, and then the truck by it's self. The results that day were 11900 trailer, 9300 axle, pin weight 2600. (2600+9300=11900)

Last edited by a moderator:

iawoody2

I might add that while at
the Heartland rally in the Amanas last week I had a good visit with a couple with a Sundance and have over 12000 miles on their original TowMax tires.

ncc1701e

I totally trust the scale. It has 3 plates front axle of truck, rear axle of truck, and trailer axle. I then unhooked the trailer to get it's total weight, and then the truck by it's self. The results that day were 11900 trailer, 9300 axle, pin weight 2600. (2600+9300=11900)

We've got just over 5500 miles on ours. I watch post on these tires with some intensity. Just like your Sundance, my weights are pretty close to yours. Check the tires before and after every pull, keep the wheels in alignment, balanced the tires, pressure always at 80psi on all tires, tires covered when not rolling, and keep going. I do think the tires have a life and that for me is between now and 10k. Our other Sundance had the same tires and we put about 7.5k on those tires without problems. I actually worry more about all the road trash and debris destroying the tires rather than a failure from a factory defect.

Kbvols

Iawoody, I just replaced my Towmax. My deal was I wanted to get at least 1 yrs use out of them and I did close to 5,000 miles. I changed to Maxxis and so far no regrets. Trailer seems to pull better and definitely more peace of mind. Tire discounters have Maxxis for $165 each online and free shipping. They will also match online price at store locations if you ask. Info and link below.

Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire
Tire Size ST235/80R-16E1 124 B
Load Range E1
Speed Rating
High-speed radial constructed tire providing a smooth ride with extended tread life.
$165.00 $40 Instant Savings
Free Shipping!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...tBy=prca&ar=80&fqs=true&rd=16&sw=false&cs=235

TravelTiger

Our first set of Maxxis was installed August of 2011, just after we upgraded our axles/springs/suspension. We put probably 10-12k on them the first year, and 15k the second. They were starting to get near the wear bar, but were wearing evenly. I figured before our winter trip to Colorado or maybe spring we'd need new tires.

Well, this year in Late July while returning to the Dallas area from a trip to San Antonio (ambient temps were over 100), I noticed a crack starting where tread meets sidewall. Sure enough, when we were home we discovered the beginnings of tread separation. I am glad we are diligent about checking the tires!!

Our spare also had a patch from a road hazard, so we decided to replace all 5 with new Maxxis.

I used Discount Tire Direct online pricing to get my local Discount Tire to match it. Metal stems were just $3 more per tire. And we now have the road hazard warranty.

They told me the tread separation was covered by Maxxis warranty, and gave me (prorated) $130 off.

Just watch them on the install, they tried to jack the axels. We used our own bottle jacks to lift the frame on either side of the tires (still hooked to truck).

Gaffer

At under 10k on your axels, the Maxxis will be a great tire for you. I have had no issues with mine and would do it again.

Sambo1177

Hello heartland forum, first time commenting on here.(Hope I'm doing it correctly)! We have a 2013 elkridge. I have already blown one towmax tire doing over $2k in damages. When we got it back from the shop, the next trip I discovered another knot forming on a different tire. Thinking about installing some new goodyears next week as they are the only 15 ply I have found. Plus from what I have read, they have 4 plys in the sidewall. Any suggestion?? Sam.

danemayer

Hello heartland forum, first time commenting on here.(Hope I'm doing it correctly)! We have a 2013 elkridge. I have already blown one towmax tire doing over $2k in damages. When we got it back from the shop, the next trip I discovered another knot forming on a different tire. Thinking about installing some new goodyears next week as they are the only 15 ply I have found. Plus from what I have read, they have 4 plys in the sidewall. Any suggestion?? Sam.
Hi Sambo1177,

If you're looking at the Goodyear G614 tires, they'll give you plenty of margin on load capacity and are rated for travel up to 75mph. One thing to check on is your wheels. You need to make sure your wheels are matched and that they support 110psi. A call to Tredit at (800) 537-2925 will help to determine the capability of your wheels.

caissiel

Simple Tire sells Sailun tires for low deck trailer application for $173.00 each. They are 14 ply rated as LR G. They are good tires that will replace my Freestars later when they wear out. I think they are model S637 and com in 16, 17.5,19.5 and 22.5 wheel sizes. I see them used on semi trailers all the time.

Most 8 bolt wheels are rated for 110psi.

TravelTiger

Simple Tire sells Sailun tires for low deck trailer application for $173.00 each. They are 14 ply rated as LR G. They are good tires that will replace my Freestars later when they wear out. I think they are model S637 and com in 16, 17.5,19.5 and 22.5 wheel sizes. I see them used on semi trailers all the time.

Most 8 bolt wheels are rated for 110psi.

You must check with Tredit on the wheels. If your ElkRidge wheels look like this, they are only rated for 80 psi.

3yvyty8a.jpg
ara3ema2.jpg

GOTTOYS

Maxxis ST sounds like your best bet.....mine have been bullet proof. ($700 installed and balanced for 16" E rated) Stay away from the lower rated LT tires as the sidewall can't take the sideways dragging abuse.
I say "nonsense" about the dragging sideways on the LT tires...Those LT sidewalls are at least twice as thick as the STs I took off. I bet there isn't one person on this forum that has ever had an issue with the sidewalls on their LT tires. Not saying that Maxxis tires aren't a good choice but so are Load range E LT tires......Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I say "nonsense" about the dragging sideways on the LT tires...Those LT sidewalls are at least twice as thick as the STs I took off. I bet there isn't one person on this forum that has ever had an issue with the sidewalls on their LT tires. Not saying that Maxxis tires aren't a good choice but so are Load range E LT tires......Don

Don, you are entitled to your wrong opinion. I saw both tires side by side at Texas Tire In Amarillo. The LT tire had significantly thinner sidewall and lower weight rating, the ST tire was also heaver but cost $9 more.

Vtxkid

I will agree with GOTTOYS, its proven that LT tires are in fact used on the higher end 5ers as some of the Redwoods come with them straight out of the factory! And if you decide to go with the Goodyear 614's , you can use your 80 psi rims... the only requirement is that you psi need to be set at 80 psi. This does bring down your weight rating a little. Check with online for the Goodyear web site for the G614's and it will list the pressures that you can run and the weight rating to go with them at that pressure.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

danemayer

And if you decide to go with the Goodyear 614's , you can use your 80 psi rims... the only requirement is that you psi need to be set at 80 psi. This does bring down your weight rating a little. Check with online for the Goodyear web site for the G614's and it will list the pressures that you can run and the weight rating to go with them at that pressure.
Using 110psi tires on 80psi wheels is an unsafe practice. Someone putting air in your tires will read the 110psi on the tire sidewall but will have no way of knowing that the wheels are rated for 80psi. The consequences could be extremely serious.

TravelTiger

FYI

G614 LT235/85R16 at 80psi = 3042 lbs max weight rating

MAXXIS 8008 ST235/80/R16 at 80psi = 3420 lbs max weight rating

I agree, running G614 at a lower pressure might be inviting an accident if someone over-inflates. I won't run them for that reason, but also because of the lower max weight rating. TowMax are rated at 3520 lbs. Obviously going to any another brand, you have to lose some weight capacity, but the TowMax have a such a sketchy reputation, I just don't trust that rating.

An ElkRidge is not as heavy as a BigHorn or BigCountry. So you'd think there would be more weight margin for the tires. However, I've heard of even lighter trailers with TowMax having blowouts, and we too caught ours before a blowout with very low miles on the tire.

iawoody2

Thanks for all the feedback on my original question. I have decided to go with the Maxxis. My local tire dealer has them ordered, and get this he is giving me $300 trade in on my 5 TowMax tires. Cost will be $600 for 5 mounted, balanced, and steel valve stems!!!!!
I think now I will feel much more comfortable when we leave for Florida.
Bob