Question on awning in storage position.

Diamondjim

Getting our 2011 Greystone 32RL ready to head to Ohio to visit our grandchildren (& their parents) and have been working on de-winterizing after a rather hectic winter storage of said unit.
It survived hurricane Irma (September '18) as the eye passed over us (winds 128 MPH) seemingly without a mark. There was a small issue with a 6" aluminum gutter (14' long) ripped off a golf course maintenance building some 250 yards away that was twisted and laying on the ground in a vacant parking stall next to us, but we could find no marks on our rig, sides, top... nada.
Missing from our wheels were the covers from both sides, but I found them snagged in a hedgerow separating the trailer storage area from the 1st hole of our golf course, cleaned them up and put them back in service.
Fast forward to March 13, 2018 - the phone alerts went off as a possible tornado in the area. OK, are you kidding me? We had winds (79 MPH) we had rain (2.5") we had hail! all in the span of 15 minutes or so.
Where am I going with all of this...........my wife is much more observant than I. Just came back from picking up the linens etc. to wash and freshen up before departure. As we were getting back into the car, she observed the top of the rolled up awning. (I will attempt to post a picture...it's been a while) the top of the awning looks like a rototiller made mincemeat of it. I've had the darn thing partially deployed as I worked on repacking the wheel bearings etc. BUT am unable to fully open it up because of another 5th wheel parked next to us.

awning problem.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting our 2011 Greystone 32RL ready to head to Ohio to visit our grandchildren (& their parents) and have been working on de-winterizing after a rather hectic winter storage of said unit.
It survived hurricane Irma (September '18) as the eye passed over us (winds 128 MPH) seemingly without a mark. There was a small issue with a 6" aluminum gutter (14' long) ripped off a golf course maintenance building some 250 yards away that was twisted and laying on the ground in a vacant parking stall next to us, but we could find no marks on our rig, sides, top... nada.
Missing from our wheels were the covers from both sides, but I found them snagged in a hedgerow separating the trailer storage area from the 1st hole of our golf course, cleaned them up and put them back in service.
Fast forward to March 13, 2018 - the phone alerts went off as a possible tornado in the area. OK, are you kidding me? We had winds (79 MPH) we had rain (2.5") we had hail! all in the span of 15 minutes or so.
Where am I going with all of this...........my wife is much more observant than I. Just came back from picking up the linens etc. to wash and freshen up before departure. As we were getting back into the car, she observed the top of the rolled up awning. (I will attempt to post a picture...it's been a while) the top of the awning looks like a rototiller made mincemeat of it. I've had the darn thing partially deployed as I worked on repacking the wheel bearings etc. BUT am unable to fully open it up because of another 5th wheel parked next to us.

View attachment 57699

You have insurance on the rig, no? Let them handle it. I’ve had two awnings replaced (not on same rig) due to my errors and it was painless. Both times, the replacement was done on site while I was away. Second one, the check to me was more than the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

That part of the awning is exposed to the sun all the time, it is brittle, and the hail played havic with it.

RoadJunkie

Granted you’ve survived quite the weather plague, but the condition of the awning is consistent with the year of your coach if has not been covered or, better yet, garaged. I had the same problem on an 2010 Bighorn.

porthole

Retired
Granted you’ve survived quite the weather plague, but the condition of the awning is consistent with the year of your coach if has not been covered or, better yet, garaged. I had the same problem on an 2010 Bighorn.

Same here, looks about what it should look like at that age.

Diamondjim

Insurance appraiser came today to look at the situation. I was just starting a new P-T job, so not here. Wife covered for me.
I have no argument with any of your replies, it is going on 7 years old, and this is Florida.....however, the appraiser went on the roof and said that it was aging and the sun had done its number on the awning.............but he could tell from the angle of the damage, that the final nail in the awnings coffin was done by the hail, the angle it had struck and caused the shredding of the "protective" zone.
Therefore......I need to pay my $250. deductible and the balance will be covered for a new awning and installation, ASAP.
Can you say "happy dance"? He contacted a local RV Dealer in our (small) town and advised that they can do the job of a new install very nicely.
BINGO, you don't get if you don't ask. Progressive to the rescue, thank you very much!