Quick Connect Capture Plate,, Help Westy

Westy

How do I install the Quick Connect Capture Plate to the King Pin Box of my 5th wheel? Learned the hard way I have to have it. It hauled beautifully without, until I took a corner and then as I accelerated, I have a new shape to my tailgate. I actually thought it was my emergency cable that caught. Now it's sitting at home and I'm afraid to pull it anywhere to have it installed. All I have is the plate with no hardware.

jimtoo

Re: Westy

Hi Westy,

Thanks for more information. I will move the thread to the hitch area and also rename it for you. I am also going to delete the first post.

Someone will jump in soon with some help.

Jim M

donr827

Are you referring to a Pullrite hitch? If so you can go to their web site for the information and also give them a call. Depending on which king pin box you have the capture plates are different.Don

oldmannj

If it is a pull rite hitch you can call an RV dealer. They have universal capture plates that fit any pin box. Very simple install. A few shims to even it out and 1 set screw and you're done. The one they put on my pin box works great.
If you mean a bed saver that attaches to the hitch itself in the truck. No need for the trailer to come along for the ride. Once again should be available at a local RV dealer. If you are handy with a wrench set you can save the money for labor. They ain't all that hard to do either. ED. :angel:

Miltp920

18754-1.jpg18755-1.jpg

This my pullrite slider hitch capture plate. It is only held in place by the one set screw which tightens up against a plastic wedge That sets it place loose until set screw tightens against it. Last weekend the set screw loosened up and the capture plate fell off when I was hooking up. Had to put it back on myself. The RV dealer installed it, had to cut a notch out of plastic skirt. . The plate is made such that with the pin in the hole, the set screw creates the holding power. The plate stays aligned with the 5er hitch, and due to the wedge under the capture plate that engages with your truck hitch, it keeps your truck hitch forward unless you turn, then it slides back Away from cab. I Hope this helps.

branson4020

Icantre Member
How do I install the Quick Connect Capture Plate to the King Pin Box of my 5th wheel? Learned the hard way I have to have it. It hauled beautifully without, until I took a corner and then as I accelerated, I have a new shape to my tailgate. I actually thought it was my emergency cable that caught. Now it's sitting at home and I'm afraid to pull it anywhere to have it installed. All I have is the plate with no hardware.

So you were using a pullrite hitch WITHOUT the capture plate?

Miltp920

Can you post a picture of the plate you have? The first plate I had that came with my hitch, bolted onto the 5er hitch plate around the king pin with 9 bolts. Pain in the butt. The new one in the pictures is easy to put on. One person holds it in place, second person tightens allen screw. The set screw in the front center is the only hardware, except that mine tightens against a plastic wedge

Sounds like he used a slider hitch without a capture plate and when the slider moved back, because the capture plate was not keeping it forward, the 5er hitch bent up the tailgate.