Rain and auto-awnings (how do you tilt them?)

RanCarr

Our NT 21 FBS has the electric awning and have been out in major downpours. Dumps just fine. The first time we were out, there was quite a bit of wind with the rain so brought the awning in about half way. Still dumped without a hitch. This trip was to the Oregon coast and they do get rain in March.

I am so glad to read all these posts about awnings dumping the water. We've only gone out camping 5 times with our NT and there was no one close to ask about these electric awnings. They either were tent campers or had the manual awnings, or we had no one close to us. Our favorite COE campground, not close to any Interstates, is almost always half empty. :)

RanCarr

Our electric awning has the auto-dump and it works, the first time it surprised us when it did it. We have no knobs on our awning. It is the Carefree awning.

View attachment 14304

That looks like ours. I found a pamphlet on awnings in the package from Heartland but it covers 3 different ones. I have no way to tell which one is on our NT. It appears to be the one called "Fixed Flat Pitched Awning." And as I observed at the campground, one arm folded and dumped most of the water that accumulated on the awning. I don't suppose the water will build up enough to rip the awning since it does dump most of it. Live and learn. :)

Boca_Shuffles

We have a Colorado Carefree on our BH with no adjustment. One trick we have learned is to keep the awning taunt by not unrolling it to the very end. Once the unit is unrolled, back it up about a quarter turn. This means that the seam for the vertical flap is on the front or bottom of the roller. If the seam is on the top of the roller, the water tends to pool behind the roller, rather than going over.

jpajax

I too have found that by rolling back up about a quarter of turn helps a lot. Found that not all insurance polices cover the awning better check haven't had to use it but it is a nice thing to know before it happens.

Duramax1

Dometic will provide you with a free retrofit arm to enable the awning to be tilted. In the earlier posts there was a reference to a black knob that you tightened to hold the awning at whatever tilt level you desired.

AttyVette

I too have found that by rolling back up about a quarter of turn helps a lot. Found that not all insurance polices cover the awning better check haven't had to use it but it is a nice thing to know before it happens.
you have to make sure it's scheduled on the policy...my husband InsuranceguyTEXAS said some insurance people don't tell their clients that this must be put on the policy..just FYI..of course, he is the expert on this not me..he has been in the business 33 years...

DougS

Doug S
Ours has the black knob also. I carry a step ladder for the knob and cleaning the back window. As for leaving the awning rolled out, after losing one a few years ago on a clear morning when we left for a couple of hours, I roll ours up along with shutting the water off.