rain sensor on Fantastic fan

Bobby A

not sure if my fantastic fan is working correctly so I figured I would ask. The on/off toggle switch is in the on position on the fan. How can I check to make sure the rain sensor is working, besides the obvious of keeping the fan open during a rain storm or going on the roof and pouring a cup of water over the rain sensor. I have had it open during moderate rain and I have never seen the fan close.

Also,

Is the fan supposed to turn off and the hood close when it hits the temp that you set on the thermastat on the wall ?? Thanks

Theresau

We've been brave and tested ours (rain sensor) and it has worked - we think it needs to be on auto for it to work... The lid closed and the fan shut off when it began to sprinkile.

The thermostat is supposed to turn it off when it hits the temp.

We did have some issues with the bedroom thermostat but it seems to be working ok now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Put a MaxxAir cover over it and you won't have to worry about the rain sensor. Works fine with the cover on and a little sprinkle won't shut it off.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I did the same thing as John. There is a larger MaxxAir cover to work with the Fantastic Fans. I had them installed because I want to leave the vent open when going down the hwy to reduce the heat in the trailer while driving.

Mine did work when it started to rain, before I had the covers installed. I don't know if this will work but take a water hose and spray it on the vent when it is open.

BC

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I did the same thing as John. There is a larger MaxxAir cover to work with the Fantastic Fans. I had them installed because I want to leave the vent open when going down the hwy to reduce the heat in the trailer while driving.

Mine did work when it started to rain, before I had the covers installed. I don't know if this will work but take a water hose and spray it on the vent when it is open.

BC

Just be sure to cover anything underneath it in case it doesn't close:eek:.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would think that to test it all you need is a damp sponge. Squeeze a few drops on the sensor pad and see what happens. If your aim with the garden hose isn't that accurate, you might be "manning the boats" before it closes :eek:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I left mine running one day when I went to work, right after I got the Cyclone - because - I had a 'Rain Sensor'! :) Sure enough, an afternoon monsoon hit before I got back - and I just smiled confidently, while looking at the big red spot on the radar hovering over the Cyclone! I had a 'Rain Sensor'! :)

The sun was shining by the time I returned and I walked in to water all over the Cyclone...looked like a Cyclone had hit! I was a little more than upset about the flood in my new RV and began to think the salesmen were not 100% truthful about this 'Rain Sensor' thing. After drying the floor and cabinet, I stood up to dry the opening around the - still venting 'Fantastic Vent' - and noticed a little black and red switch up inside it. In the OFF position was a switch marked - Rain Sensor! :D

After turning this to the ON position, while it's running, I went to the roof to test it out. There is a small sensor that resembles a circuit board with only the brass colored tracks on it. I licked my thumb and touched the board and the fan immediately shut down. Removed my thumb and it started back up. NOW, I had a 'Rain Sensor'! :)

porthole

Retired
H'mm - didn't know that and just checked mine.

The one in the garage does not have a switch.
The main living area is NOW turned on!

Good point.

porthole

Retired
Yep - no Rain Sensor on the garage fan!

No switch - but it does have a sensor - just went up on the roof and gave it the "thumb" test.

The rear fan does have a rain drop decal on it with printing (hard to read) that says it is sensor equipped.

I'm already liking the fantastic fan enough that I made add it to bathroom.

I have them both on now - the front is on auto and running at low speed, the rear I have set for low speed. Both doing their job and quiet!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
"No switch - but it does have a sensor - just went up on the roof and gave it the "thumb" test.

The rear fan does have a rain drop decal on it with printing (hard to read) that says it is sensor equipped."

Cool - I'll have to check mine. I was unaware of this. Thanks.