Ram Mega Cab

Jim.Allison

Torque gets you rolling, horse power keeps you rolling. I have a 2017 RAM SRW with the AISIN. Unloaded, low gear is like a cranky grandma gear. It shifts shortly after moving forward. I have not towed my rig with it yet but I have towed a flatbed with it. It is unaffected by that load.

Note: I have the RAM adaptor for the fifth wheel and had trouble with the alignment on my fifth wheel as the tolerances were too tight for the pins. It looks like I will have to make a few passes across the bottom of my "Trailer Saver" to create some tolerance. I'm reluctant to drill any components. Anyone who has that adaptor should trial fit their fifth wheel before any planned trips. In my case I doubt it's the adaptor, it looks like there might be some slight "out of skew" involved with the hitch. or a skew problem with both components.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jim:
Congrats on your new Ram! You are going to love, love, love it! I have the 2016 3500 SRW and wow what a beast for towing. I read on the forum someone stating for the EB to work effectively on the Ford it has to be around 3,000 RPM....not so on the Ram, in tow haul and EB on full it is incredible, in fact I have never reached even close to 3,000 rpm towing. 65 MPH is just over 1500 towing my fifth wheel. I also have the fifth wheel package and no issues, but I went with the Anderson Ultimate 2 hitch...

Enjoy your new "Ride"..

Bones

Because the new trucks are so nice. Plus I thought I was at a crucial point of being able to still get good money out of my truck. It was a pretty desirable truck with the 5.9 and only 75k miles on a Laramie dually. I tried to sell mine locally prior to trading it in, but no one I spoke to wanted to pay that much for a truck that was 13 years old. So when the dealer gave me about 2500 less than I thought it was worth retail and then still sold me their new truck at a good price, I jumped on it.

And I have not been disappointed yet. It is soooo much more truck than the 03.

Believe me, I really put a lot of thought into whether or not to keep running the 03. But I was trying to maximize my equity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can definitely understand that and would agree. I think you will really like the truck. I like how mine tows and was not uncomfortable at all on my 2 thousand mile trip. Did you get the auto level feature?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Because the new trucks are so nice. Plus I thought I was at a crucial point of being able to still get good money out of my truck. It was a pretty desirable truck with the 5.9 and only 75k miles on a Laramie dually. I tried to sell mine locally prior to trading it in, but no one I spoke to wanted to pay that much for a truck that was 13 years old. So when the dealer gave me about 2500 less than I thought it was worth retail and then still sold me their new truck at a good price, I jumped on it.

And I have not been disappointed yet. It is soooo much more truck than the 03.

Believe me, I really put a lot of thought into whether or not to keep running the 03. But I was trying to maximize my equity.

Same situation here. Our 07 had 30,000 miles and fetched a great trade-in value. More than I expected. The truck did fine but I thought long and hard and could not pass up the deal. These older RAMs are going for hi retails around this area. And people are paying for them.

Torque gets you rolling, horse power keeps you rolling. I have a 2017 RAM SRW with the AISIN. Unloaded, low gear is like a cranky grandma gear. It shifts shortly after moving forward. I have not towed my rig with it yet but I have towed a flatbed with it. It is unaffected by that load.

Note: I have the RAM adaptor for the fifth wheel and had trouble with the alignment on my fifth wheel as the tolerances were too tight for the pins. It looks like I will have to make a few passes across the bottom of my "Trailer Saver" to create some tolerance. I'm reluctant to drill any components. Anyone who has that adaptor should trial fit their fifth wheel before any planned trips. In my case I doubt it's the adaptor, it looks like there might be some slight "out of skew" involved with the hitch. or a skew problem with both components.

Re adapter plate. I choose the Reese style adapter which is like the Ram adapter. The dealer didn't have them stocked and I just ordered one myself

There was one corner with a sloppy weld and the plate wouldn't bolt tight and was out of alignment. Hit it with a grinder and a little paint and my hitch fit right up

imagejpeg
IMG_1360.JPG

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with the 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

Jim.Allison

Re adapter plate. I choose the Reese style adapter which is like the Ram adapter. The dealer didn't have them stocked and I just ordered one myself

There was one corner with a sloppy weld and the plate wouldn't bolt tight and was out of alignment. Hit it with a grinder and a little paint and my hitch fit right up

imagejpeg
View attachment 48984

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with the 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

Funny!! I suspected this exact scenario. I'm going to put the whole assembly on a set of sawhorses fit it all together. I suspect that it is a matter of a few passes with a grinder in some key locations. It's just difficult to see while the whole assembly is in the truck bed. It is always the last pin no matter where I start. If it is the last pin I can't get it placed. Thanks for the affirmation.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

imagejpeg
View attachment 48984

2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette

Do you have a pic of the entire adapter?

Merry Christmas
well. It's not the Reese style but similar to the Ram adapter rail and made by Demco
it installed so easily I can't remember all the particulars. That's my excuse anyways 😊

I do remember there was was an adjustment with a cotter pin or washer. Two of the four levers required a rubber mallet and the other two a little help with a light kick after greasing the pins where it slid on the truck frame.

Its tight. I do remember writing the place where I purchased the part from and told them about the weld needing to be ground just in case they had another customer with the same situation. They didn't seem to understand what was going on

the weld basically tilted the pin plate and the pin wouldn't align with the holes in the truck bed. It also ment the pin plate wasn't sitting flat on the main rail and snug.

I was happy it had more weld than needed though I thought maybe it would of been better for the manufacturer to grind the weld before it shipped.

IMG_1363.JPG

Started out with a Duramax and changed to a Cat. Had to order it, in order to get everything that I wanted. Went with the Mega Cab short box because we like the room and don't need the bed space. Getting some miles on it before we start towing. Have it in today getting running boards, aux fuel tank and mud flaps installed. So far I like it better then the Chevy.

View attachment 48671

We went from a duramax to a dodge mega cab 3500 too. Can't beat the room and the power of a Cummins. I have a pull rite super glide for a hitch, love it as well!