Rambox 5th Wheel Install

Georgia_Biker

We are wanting to move up to the Big Horn 3875 FB which requires a larger truck. We currently have been pulling a BH 3610 RE for the past two years with a Ram 2500 with Ramboxes and Reese 16K 5th wheel.

Talking to my Dodge dealer and doing some hitch research I did not know getting a hitch for Ramboxes was such a problem. Are there other Dodge owners with Rambox setups on here and how did you accomplish your install?

Thanks

GWRam

I just traded my 13 2500 for a 15 3500 mc sb. I just swapped my Curt Q24 to the 3500. What is supposed to be the problem that the dealers are talking about? Are you referring to the in bed mounting system on the 3500? I guess I'm unsure what you mean by rambox setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The Rambox looks like a great option for side of bed storage on SRWs. Here's a prior post where someone solved the hitch problem.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The Ram Boxes take too much room out of the bed and narrows down the turning radius of the camper pin that I have seen several folks trade in there Rams for a standard Ram truck beds. No hitch even sliders worked. Think the Ram Boxes are great for construction folks for storing tools but not very good in the camping world unless you go with a goose pin box.

Georgia_Biker

I currently have a 2012 RAM 2500 with Ramboxes and a REESE 6K Slider Hitch - Only used the slider once - don't need it with a BH. Never had a problem and have been towing over two years. I did make a mistake one time and got too much of an angle one time and pinched the tye down rail a little - never did that again.

I don't know how Ramboxes affect payload? I am purchasing a new 3500 shortbed - 4x4 - single axle.

I can't be the only Ram with Ramboxes with a 5th wheel. I have seen a couple comments on folks that have them.

Attachments

• BH 3610REaa.jpg
    BH 3610REaa.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 45

Georgia_Biker

I don't know how this all got so confused - I apologize.

Simply all I want to know does anyone have a 3500 Ram with Ramboxes and a 5th wheel? If so how was it done?

mzcummins

It doesn't matter if it's a 2500 or 3500, all HD rambox's are the same, looks like it's working for some

Bohemian

According to Ram pay loads PDF link provided...the ram box has no impact with the calculation into the payload. Now of course if you fill the Ram box it will impact your payload, same as if you fill the back end of your bed without a ram box.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

Not at all. Not giving data is not the same as "not having an effect". It weighs more so payloads go down. 2nd, the higher capcity models do not come a Rambox option.

They also don't publish the effect of all the other options, center console, moon roof, etc.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Of course every pound has an effect, not saying that...but the Ram box wt is minimal so with your argument, one could say carrying a bottle nose jack in the bed of your truck, you cannot get the maximum payload weights as well...
The point is moot in reality to the effect of the weight on either issue! It's a matter of having a ram box and carrying less, having a long bed and not putting as much inside the bed....it's all relative to the final weights. That is all I am
expressing...

danemayer

Guys, OP wanted help on his hitch, not a side discussion on payload. If the payload discussion seems important to you, maybe one of you should start a separate thread.