Rant of the day - "no name" tires

porthole

Retired
I have bought 12 new cars and probably a dozen used cars and a few motorcycles to boot.

Not one of them came with no name tires.

I had a flat with my Towmax tires. Called the 800 number last week and was assured that I could go to any tire dealer to have them inspected. Was also told that I could have the other 3 inspected as I told the rep I was concerned about additional failures.

The fact that I elected to replace my tires has nothing to do with the fact that we are on our own with the "no namers"

I don't care how big some corporate bean counter thinks Towmax is, the bottom line is 4 tire shops I went to yesterday had no interest in working an off brand tire. 2 of them never heard of the brand.

It's time tires that can be serviced anywhere be used. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Firestone etc. These are names everyone knows and there is usually a tire dealer for each an any large town.

The closest I got to having the tires looked at was a dealer that would do the work providing I paid for the service and made all the arrangements to get the replacement tire.
He was not interested in spending any time on the phone arranging warranty work.

I will never buy a new trailer again without name brand tires. As much as I like our Cyclone I now see that I really should have pushed more to get the Goodyear's installed when new.

It was only a $750 option IIRC for the Bighorn's. What is the big deal about putting 4 tires and wheels on a pallet and fork lifting them across the parking lot from the Big Horn building to the Cyclone building?

Jellystone

Tire selection is very important on any vehicle. I was also surprised that "Towmax" tires were put on our 5er at the factory. Tires are the first line of defense in protecting the trailer while traveling down the road. These units are expensive and damage caused by "cheap" tire problems is costly as well. I plan on replacing ours next spring with Goodyear.

Clymer

We ORDERED our Big Country with Goodyear tires as a option (which was suppose to be standard) however it came from the factory and delivered to us with I forget the same Sansun or something like that...tires were G rated but still from China...the selling dealer who we liked quite a bit...missed it on his PDI of the camper however Lee noticed it right away...Heartland had to ship the Goodyears to our servicing dealer to replace which they did with no problem but I'm sure a large expense.

cjhicks

Duane, We have had two flats with Towmax tires the first when the trailer was 2 months old and there was no damage to the trailer .Icalled Towmax and they send me a new tire at no charge. The second blowout occurred on the way home from Nashville this time we had about $1500 damage to the trailer so I called Towmax and they had the tire picked up by FedEx to be tested . Well that was a month ago and they have never had any further contact we us. We had the trailer repaired this week thanks to our insurance co. and are going to put a set of Michelin XPS Ribs on before we hit the road agin

lhetsler

I am curious what kind of insurance you have and do most insurance companies cover damage from a blowout. I know they don't cover the tire, but do most cover the damage.

cjhicks

I am curious what kind of insurance you have and do most insurance companies cover damage from a blowout. I know they don't cover the tire, but do most cover the damage.

We have Liberty Mutual Insurance and they covered the cost of the tire and the damange to the trailer.

supernan1414

This post is a real eye opener for me. When we were looking at the Big Horn the dealer told us Heartland didn't put crap tires on the Big Horn.
We didn't question him about what kind??? I just looked at our order sheet and there is NO upgrade on it for better tires nor were we asked.
Our 2011 3185 RL has the Towmax tires on it. Not sure what to do now. I agree we shouldn't have to deal with this. The interior of this rig
sold us on the Big Horn and would have purchased it even if it had been several thousand more. The springs and tires shouldn't be inferior.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This post is a real eye opener for me. When we were looking at the Big Horn the dealer told us Heartland didn't put crap tires on the Big Horn.
We didn't question him about what kind??? I just looked at our order sheet and there is NO upgrade on it for better tires nor were we asked.
Our 2011 3185 RL has the Towmax tires on it. Not sure what to do now. I agree we shouldn't have to deal with this. The interior of this rig
sold us on the Big Horn and would have purchased it even if it had been several thousand more. The springs and tires shouldn't be inferior.

I wholeheartedly agree. In actuality, what it does by forcing us to upgrade these things after the fact, or some major malfunction, is increase the cost to us. Definitely tarnishes the Heartland experience and tempers how loudly we can brag about our rigs to SOB's we encounter.

ChopperBill

Heartland does have an option for Goodyear tires. It is not shown on the public option list but your dealer should have known it. My opinion factory tires are only good for getting the trailer from the factory to the dealer. I always pencil in some Michelin's or Goodyear's above the quoted trailer price.

porthole

Retired
Heartland does have an option for Goodyear tires. It is not shown on the public option list but your dealer should have known it.

Last paragraph of teh first post.

It was only a $750 option IIRC for the Bighorn's. What is the big deal about putting 4 tires and wheels on a pallet and fork lifting them across the parking lot from the Big Horn building to the Cyclone building?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wholeheartedly agree. In actuality, what it does by forcing us to upgrade these things after the fact, or some major malfunction, is increase the cost to us. Definitely tarnishes the Heartland experience and tempers how loudly we can brag about our rigs to SOB's we encounter.
Just thinking out loud here, how many SOB's come with better tires? I'm thinking none unless you pay for them.

Peace
Dave