Rear Camera - Factory Installed Wiring question

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We ordered the one with the bracket, because it was cheaper.

Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XWNFOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_m-9MybQ1X1E0K

We had also already purchased a better antenna, and needed to modify the bracket slightly to get the antenna to fit. Much easier to modify the new bracket and swap them out, then try to make modifications to it on the rig.

Also, we have extra wiring should we decide to change the way it's wired to the coach. (Ours is always on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMP

Purchased FOS48TAPK-B for my 2016 RW 427. Trailer has factory installed wiring. Installed the camera. No power to the camera. I looked around for a fuse some folks have been talking about, but could not find one. Did anyone have experience with no power to camera, and was able to troubleshoot and solve? I'd appreciate online assistance with resolving my power source issue. Attached a couple pictures where i tried tracing the line, but could not figure out which power source lines they are connected . IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that the cameras are powered by the running lights circuit.
You might have to either remove some of the Coroplast under belly material bad back there or remove a running light and get a look at the wires.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Purchased FOS48TAPK-B for my 2016 RW 427. Trailer has factory installed wiring. Installed the camera. No power to the camera. I looked around for a fuse some folks have been talking about, but could not find one. Did anyone have experience with no power to camera, and was able to troubleshoot and solve? I'd appreciate online assistance with resolving my power source issue. Attached a couple pictures where i tried tracing the line, but could not figure out which power source lines they are connected . View attachment 49952
View attachment 49953

You will need to use a multimeter to find out with wire is hot and which is ground. The Furrion is polarity specific, so make sure the running lights are powered with the TV when shooting the wires. Then just use the wire nuts that are there to tie the camera wire into the lighting wires. I would also suggest using electrical tape on the wire and wire nut to prevent moisture intrusion and wire separation fro the wire nut. This is what I had to do with my backup.

Attachments

• 30RKDD Furrion Camera.jpg
    30RKDD Furrion Camera.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33

LBR

Purchased FOS48TAPK-B for my 2016 RW 427. Trailer has factory installed wiring. Installed the camera. No power to the camera. I looked around for a fuse some folks have been talking about, but could not find one. Did anyone have experience with no power to camera, and was able to troubleshoot and solve? I'd appreciate online assistance with resolving my power source issue. Attached a couple pictures where i tried tracing the line, but could not figure out which power source lines they are connected . View attachment 49952
View attachment 49953

My CY has a bundle of wire coiled up in the "Electrical/Hydraulic " room unattached to power or ground....the tech during walk thru didn't know what it was for neither. It is fairly heavy gauge like yours looks to be. I haven't tried to track it down yet, but am assuming it may be for the camera....seems like it was white ground and green with yellow tracer for colors. Now I'm curious after reading this!

I purchased the FOS48TAPK-B from Amazon for my 2017 Trail Runner RKS. Trailer has factory installed wiring. I removed the cover, plugged in the camera, started my pick-up and turned on the parking light and the camera and monitor synced right up. On the road it will momentarily lose signal but it always returns within 2 or 3 seconds. I'd like to modify it to eliminate the momentary loss of signal but otherwise it works so well that I kinda hate to mess with it! I love it. I mounted the monitor just below my rear view mirror and after a while you forget you're looking at a monitor, it feels just like looking in the mirror! I can't imagine towing without it.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I purchased the FOS48TAPK-B from Amazon for my 2017 Trail Runner RKS. Trailer has factory installed wiring. I removed the cover, plugged in the camera, started my pick-up and turned on the parking light and the camera and monitor synced right up. On the road it will momentarily lose signal but it always returns within 2 or 3 seconds. I'd like to modify it to eliminate the momentary loss of signal but otherwise it works so well that I kinda hate to mess with it! I love it. I mounted the monitor just below my rear view mirror and after a while you forget you're looking at a monitor, it feels just like looking in the mirror! I can't imagine towing without it.

I put mine on the marker light circuit. I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs with LEDs so I could have more power to the camera. I also put the camera above the center light so I could get the antenna higher up on the back wall as possible. Not sure if the wiring on your trailer is tied to the marker lights or an independent circuit. I do know that if the camera doesn't work well if there is another large current draw on the same circuit or power source. Just sayin..

Last edited:

justafordguy

On the road it will momentarily lose signal but it always returns within 2 or 3 seconds. I'd like to modify it to eliminate the momentary loss of signal

That's odd, I have the same camera system and it never has any signal loss. My trailer is 41' and I have a Crew Cab long bed truck so the two devices are a long ways apart. I'm thinking you may be getting interference from something. :confused:

I just noticed that maybe mine is a differnt model, mine is the observation version.

Last edited:

SNOKING

Sounds like you have the backup camera vs the faster "BL" observation model. Ours has great range and no drop outs. Crew Cab SB +39'4" trailer. Ours get 12V from the sconce light circuit on the rear wall. Chris

Actually I do have the observation "BL" camera. I haven't tried moving either antenna or relocating the monitor, that's next.

Does the booster antenna you refer to go on the camera or the monitor?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Actually I do have the observation "BL" camera. I haven't tried moving either antenna or relocating the monitor, that's next.

Does the booster antenna you refer to go on the camera or the monitor?

On the camera.

We also have our monitor in the upper tip left corner of the driver's side windshield.

Thanks for the information. With the monitor under the rear view mirror, it's antenna can't extend straight up. Maybe by moving it to the side I can extend it straight up. I'll post my results next trip.

Nuclearcowboy

That's odd, I have the same camera system and it never has any signal loss. My trailer is 41' and I have a Crew Cab long bed truck so the two devices are a long ways apart. I'm thinking you may be getting interference from something. :confused:

I just noticed that maybe mine is a differnt model, mine is the observation version.
We have the observation model and it works great on our 44' unit. What drives me crazy is that it stays on all the time until I down power my rig.

hernanj1

My CY has a bundle of wire coiled up in the "Electrical/Hydraulic " room unattached to power or ground....the tech during walk thru didn't know what it was for neither. It is fairly heavy gauge like yours looks to be. I haven't tried to track it down yet, but am assuming it may be for the camera....seems like it was white ground and green with yellow tracer for colors. Now I'm curious after reading this!

Good morning! I just purchased a 2017 GATEWAY with the prewire camera, I installed the furrion camera, and I have no power to the camera, just wondering if you had the same problem, I haven't taken the housing apart from the back of the trailer, however; I too have a bundle of wires coiled up with an inline fuse, in the same area,........... you have me thinking if this could be the power to the camera! Also if it is the power where would i attach it to?
First time owner and first time RV'er!

LBR

Good morning! I just purchased a 2017 GATEWAY with the prewire camera, I installed the furrion camera, and I have no power to the camera, just wondering if you had the same problem, I haven't taken the housing apart from the back of the trailer, however; I too have a bundle of wires coiled up with an inline fuse, in the same area,........... you have me thinking if this could be the power to the camera! Also if it is the power where would i attach it to?
First time owner and first time RV'er!
I've not gotten to chase down those wires as the camera project is not on my front burner of jobs to do yet. I'm just suspecting that if owners can never get power to their prewired camera, and have a dead ended bundled wire in the front compartment, that may be what it is for. I haven't even taken an ohm meter to the 2 wires yet to see if anything is attached the the other unknown end...lol

Having the same problem on my pre installed furrion bracket having no power. called with my vin# on my 2017 261TH prowler. Told me to look for a fuse holder
close to the batteries. So far found nothing did not want to rewire this thing.

Clark2262

Well, I’ve got the same problem. No power to my “pre-wired” camera. Guess I’m not surprised. Most of my switches are incorrectly identified and in the wrong place. Even my satellite connections were wired incorrectly: Bedroom was living room and living room was bedroom. That’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back. This was supposed to be an easy project.

I’m thoroughly disappointed with the quality of this camper. It was a HUGE MISTAKE. If it were not for all of our camping friends, I would take the loss and sell it. Most of them feel the same way about their campers too.