Rear Ladder Extention

eddylives

Has anyone ever done or seen a mod to the fixed ladder that extends it above the roof to make it easier to get up and down?
I have had some knee issues lately and climbing onto the roof is rather difficult when it is only 7-8 inches above the roof from factory.
Standard practice is to extend a portable ladder 3 feet above the point of access for safety.
I am going to attempt to design a system for this myself and would appreciate any input from members.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless your trailer will remain stationary, extending the beams of the ladder 3 feet will require you to remove, or somehow lower, the extension for clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddylives

Yes I considered that and would design them to be removable or folding if the trailer were to be mobile

Oldelevatorman

Yes I considered that and would design them to be removable or folding if the trailer were to be mobile

Great idea, especially if it folded back on itself. I put an adjustable jack on mine because it is so flimsy. 300# limit my rear. I'm 235 and it feels like it's going to come apart. I tightened everything up and added more screws and it's still junk. And this is on a year old Landmark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

our ladder makes a great plaque and flag holder. I use my HD extension ladder for any topside work. Just seems to be too much pull on the back cap.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, you're looking for something to grab at the top of the ladder so you don't have to bend and crawl onto the roof. It depends on your weight and strength, but attaching something like an 18" length of 1 1/4" PVC with an endcap on the bottom to the ladder beam, just below the top of the rear cap might be a possibility. You could drop a section of shovel handle or something similar into it that would project above the roof line that you could grasp. Trick is to secure the PVC so it doesn't slip or move when you put your weight to it.

For all the complaints I've read about the rear ladders, I've been using mine since we got the rig without a problem. Using an extension ladder requires that it project at least 3 to 5 rungs above the roof line when set at a 75 degree angle. Vary from that and you risk problems. A 13 ft. extension ladder doesn't work. I'm 69 (weigh less than 175) and still climb ladders with 70 lbs. of gear on. Not my favorite assignment, but I can do it.

Gary521

Perhaps adding a pole type of extension that attaches to the vertical side of the ladder. You slide it up when needed and screws / clamps tight to the vertical side. Slide it back down for travel. Just a thought. Get out your engineering hat.