Rear Ladder Unstable

Jimmy

rvn4fun,

Atwood supplies that particular ladder to Heartland. I understand they've acknowledge and addressed an issue "with a few ladders produced in late 2009/early 2010 that exhibited cracks". If you or anyone reading this, need a few replacement end caps or wish to further discuss your matter with Atwood directly, please phone them at 866-869-3118.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the tip, it worked for me. They are sending me what I need (replacement end caps) at no charge.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not trying to be a wisenhiemer, but for those of you who may be on the large size, use this scale when considering ladders.

Somehow, when looking at the ladder on the rig, I just don't get the impression that it's truly an Extra Heavy Duty Type 1A.
John, I think the ladder itself may have the capacity for the "Big Guys". It's the attachment to the rig that I don't trust.
I like that little bracket on the bumper of that Big Country. It adds that little bit of extra needed support. Great idea!

ChangingPlaces

Hi Joe,
We had the bumper made by our engineer. The support that holds the bottom of the ladder should be standard as they flex a lot if there is'nt any support. It is very stable.
Cheers Paul

JonV

Hey campers, first of all I have to say I love this community! So many of you willing to help and spread your knowledge right away, thanks to all!

Now, I've got another question for you :) We just purchased a 2011 Big Country 3500rl and while attempting to climb the rear ladder I noticed it was very unstable and I'm afraid it may pull away from the fiberglass rear end cap. Is this normal? Is anyone facing a similar situation? Thanks again...

I had the same thought as you did with the ladder on our 3510. I'm about 225lb and you won't see me on it again. The next day I went out and bought a Telesteps Ladder (1800W PROFESSIONAL LINE "TYPE 1A" 300 LBS RATING). I was lucky that it was on sale but would have bought it regardless. It's as sturdy as a good quality conventional aluminum ladder. Check out their web site at: http://www.telesteps.net/company.htm

ChangingPlaces

ChangingPlaces what brand of b umber did you purchase as this sounds good to me?
Hi

Our bumper was made up to our design by our engineer. He made it almost the same shape as the back of our 2950, also with a bracket to hold the ladder from the bottom to help support any weight on the ladder. You could also get a bike rack attached if you require.
Cheers Paul

ChangingPlaces

To clean the front/rear caps or work on the sides, I keep one of these in the basement. I like the similarity to my Little Giant M26 at home and particularly like the stability of setting it up in A-frame configuration. I think it weighs something like 25 lbs. or so (the M26 weighs 54 lbs. but I put wheels on it).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/COSCO-17-World-s-Greatest-Ladder/11150979
I have a ladder like this, called a transformer ladder. I would not do without it, it's great.
I'm intrigued about your wheels, how have you mounted them
Cheers Paul

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a ladder like this, called a transformer ladder. I would not do without it, it's great.
I'm intrigued about your wheels, how have you mounted them
Cheers Paul

Paul, the wheels are sold by Little Giant for their ladders and mount onto the beams on one "end" of the ladder. Makes it easy to manuever it around while folded and they are off the ground when it's unfolded. For the trailer, I've replaced the folding Cosco ladder with a 12.5 ft. Extend & Climb. So far, I really like it at the rig and have used it a home before putting it onboard. Takes up less space and it way easier to get in and out of the basement. Only thing I need to get are the the protective caps they sell for resting the tip against an RV.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
FYI I just talked with Atwood and they would not replace the end caps on my ladder...of which 6 are now broken (I weigh 190lbs). Apparently they will if you are within the 1-year warranty!

They also sent me a link to PARTS. The end caps are $5.50!

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FYI I just talked with Atwood and they would not replace the end caps on my ladder...of which 6 are now broken (I weigh 190lbs). Apparently they will if you are within the 1-year warranty!

Call Heartland Customer Service direct. We were out of warranty, I believe. I offered to buy, since I thought we broke it, but they offered to send a couple, at no charge.

ChangingPlaces

Paul, the wheels are sold by Little Giant for their ladders and mount onto the beams on one "end" of the ladder. Makes it easy to manuever it around while folded and they are off the ground when it's unfolded. For the trailer, I've replaced the folding Cosco ladder with a 12.5 ft. Extend & Climb. So far, I really like it at the rig and have used it a home before putting it onboard. Takes up less space and it way easier to get in and out of the basement. Only thing I need to get are the the protective caps they sell for resting the tip against an RV.
Many thanks for that John, I'll look them up on the web.

We just purchased our 2012 3250ts Big Country. We noticed that the ladder seems to be bolted only into the back fiberglass with no support. When you step on the ladder the whole thing moves down. This is a concern to us. Yes a few of the brackets that hold the ladder rungs are already broken.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just purchased our 2012 3250ts Big Country. We noticed that the ladder seems to be bolted only into the back fiberglass with no support. When you step on the ladder the whole thing moves down. This is a concern to us. Yes a few of the brackets that hold the ladder rungs are already broken.

The first photo is a BC rear wall under construction at the factory, followed by a BC like yours. Third is the back end of my BH. I think the ladders are bolted into something other than just thin fiberglass. Broken endcaps on the rungs have been replaced by several folks by calling the manufacturer. Although the ladder, itself, may be rated for 300 lbs., I don't think the mountings and the stand-off struts are real happy with that. I've been up and down mine many times without any signs of fatigue or cracking, but then I'm considerably lighter than 200 lbs.

View attachment 20226View attachment 20227View attachment 20228

rick_debbie_gallant

I weight in at a little more than 20 to 21 stone. I have been up and down mine several times. With that said, I carry an extension ladder and climb up and down that. I just feel a little more secure, make that a lot more secure.

danemayer

I'm 250 and in winter clothes and boots, probably 260. During ski season, I've sometimes been up and down the ladder twice a day to clear snow off the slide awnings. I'm not sure how many times I've climbed that ladder in 2 years, but it's been a lot. I did have some plastic end cap problems but added hose clamps over rubber gasket to keep the rungs supported.

A few weeks ago, I tightened the screws that hold the ladder to the end cap. They were slightly loose.

As an aside, since my Owners Club Plaque is ladder mounted, let me thank whoever mentioned flipping it around to the inside of the ladder. Works way better there.

Attachments

• Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 38

jnbhobe

I think if you take out the screws on the stantions you can hand tighten them then screw the ladder uprights back down. This will tighten up the whole ladder.

We have the same problem with our rear ladder. My wife is a petite lady and can't climb ours. I had it back to dealor. Dealor took some money off. They definitely missed the studs on ours. I chose to leave ours alone and take a aluminum ladder along. dissapointing, but i didn't want to see sets of screw holes in my rear cap.
Matt