Rear leveling jacks not budging

Kblock108

Let me preface this by saying I just got it last night, so the simple answer may be the correct one. It is a 2011 33QB, I got it home last night and did the typical "flip all the switches" to see what they do. The rear box labled "Rear Jacks" I opened and used the toggle to go up and down, no movement or noise. I checked the fuses and nothing blown (from what I can tell). Not sure what I am doing wrong...I dont need them right now, but I would like them to be functional for our first trip in a week. I figured its best to trip now, than 300 miles from home :)

HappyKayakers

I would unscrew the switch and pull it out to make sure the wires are actually attached. And just a nitpick, the rear jacks are stabilizer jacks, not leveling jacks.

DougS

Doug S
Not sure of which jacks you are referring to, I assume you are talking about the rear electric stabilizer jack, if that is the jack, some of us have experienced water intrusion rusting the brush springs out. You might want to check voltage going into the motor, a meter works best. When you turn on the switch, you should get voltage leading to the motor. If you do get voltage, the motor probably needs repair. I repaired mine while traveling with a spring from a pen, not the best solution, buts it worked for me. I resealed the wire entering the motor and taped the seals on the motor.
When the motor goes out again, I will have it professionally rebuilt.

wdk450

You might check the circuit breakers on the bus bar. See the DC electrical troubleshooting guide in the Manuals section of the Tools tab at the top of any forum page. The higher current devices like the the landing gear (and most notoriously the power converter/battery charger) have resettable circuit breakers on the bus bar. Finding the tiny red reset button on each breaker can be a bear.

If this is not a solution, you have a warranty issue. Call Heartland service for referral to an independent RV repairer nearby if getting to your dealer doesn't work for you. Heartland will pay for warranty repairs to either provider.

Edit: I din't understand that you were the 2nd owner. If jacks still don't work, next step would be to break into the 12 volt supply wires at the motor, wire up a temporary 12 volt battery source, and see if the motor works. Make your connection as short as possible at first in case the motor is bound up or trying to go backwards (reverse battery polarity if backwards). If it works like this the motor is O.K., and the problem is then in the switch, wiring or breaker.

Last edited:

Kblock108

Thanks for the info, and duelly noted on the rear stablizing jack. I will check out those suggestions, since I bought the unit used I lost the warranty.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I am not familiar with exactly which compartment your circuit breakers are in, but they will be near your batteries. It will be several circuit breakers that are normally covered with red rubber or plastic covers all mounted side by side. On the side of the breakers (under the red covers) is a small button on the side of each breaker. If it is tripped, you just push the breaker back in and it restores power to that line as soon as the button is pushed in. Best of luck to you!

Rod Ditrich

danemayer

There's always the possibility that another switch operates the stabilizers. Since the stabilizers aren't jacks, I'm wondering what this switch is for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You should have a crank rod for the rear stabilizers, as well. They can be raised and lowered manually, even with the motor still attached.

I also rebuilt my motor using a ball point pen spring and Rescue tape. That was about three years ago and it's still working fine.

You might also remove the switch and check for voltage in the up and down positions at its terminals. Would not be the first time connectors came loose on a rig.

Kblock108

I ended up testing the cables going to the motor and there was power. Tried a new switch and that didn't work, activated my old switch and I had power going to the motor but no joy from the motor. Tried locating the jack, but the ones I have seem too big. I'm going to locate a crank and keep it for standby, giant rv had the motor for a 100 bucks so I just grabbed it. Hopefully that works out. Now I get to figure out all the flushing stuff...that I would hate to mess up :)

wdk450

$100 is the lowest price I have ever heard posted on this forum for that motor.

Now I get to figure out all the flushing stuff...that I would hate to mess up :)

We're here for you with advice on the waste tanks draining and flushing - We'll even hose you down (Like in the movie RV)!

I'm surprised there isn't a "how to" on this in all of the Heartland Manuals within the "Tools" tab at the top of each forum page.

PM me if you want to know what I use, and my method.

danemayer

I'm surprised there isn't a "how to" on this in all of the Heartland Manuals within the "Tools" tab at the top of each forum page.
The water systems guide is coming. It's been delayed due to some unexpected life issues.