Rear Tire wear

Bones

A trucks payload capacity has nothing to do with tire wear. A 2500 and 3500 truck with the same weight and same tires will wear the tires at the same rate.

Hey Bones, you may just need better tires;)

That is what I am thinking Justafordguy. My tires are Firestone and the tread may just be very soft. They are the stock tires from the manufacture

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I only got a little over 17k miles on rears. They were stock Generals. Would not pass inspection. Replaced all 6. Have about 8k on these and they still look new.

Bones

I only got a little over 17k miles on rears. They were stock Generals. Would not pass inspection. Replaced all 6. Have about 8k on these and they still look new.

so your stock tires wore out quickly too on the dually? What brand do you have on there now?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm sitting at my truck dealership right now getting an oil change and tire rotation . . . plus they are looking into the media center/stereo as it hasn't been working correctly since I bought the truck 11 months ago yesterday, not too mention that all four speakers are blown (and I listen mostly to talk radio and traffic reports).

They've already tried downloading firmware updates several times . . . to no avail!

By the by . . . it turned over 20,000 miles yesterday (had 72 miles on it the day I bought it).

Also arranging to get the $2000 in hail damage fixed that happened two weeks after I bought it.

JWalker

so your stock tires wore out quickly too on the dually? What brand do you have on there now?

Mastercraft Courser AXT. I wanted a little more aggressive tread for the winter months. They do have some road noise. Nothing bad though. Recommended by my brother-in-law who works at the tire shop. So far so good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 19

JohnD

That is what I am thinking Justafordguy. My tires are Firestone and the tread may just be very soft. They are the stock tires from the manufacture

I have the Firestone Transforce HT tires that came stock on my truck . . . 20,000 as of yesterday on them and they still look great!

Even after a 2500 trip to AZ and back last January with the trailer in tow . . .

If I could have gotten the HT's in 15-inch . . . I would have bought a set of five for the trailer.

justafordguy

Mastercraft Courser AXT. I wanted a little more aggressive tread for the winter months. They do have some road noise. Nothing bad though. Recommended by my brother-in-law who works at the tire shop. So far so good.

Those look a lot like the Nitto Terra Graplers I run. I usually get about 50k miles out of mine. Great tires and I also like the 3750 lb weight rating they have.;)

JWalker

Those look a lot like the Nitto Terra Graplers I run. I usually get about 50k miles out of mine. Great tires and I also like the 3750 lb weight rating they have.;)

Yeah! The dually is about worthless in the snow. Has eliminated a lot of shifting into 4x4. Was a great compromise between a highway tread and an aggressive mud tire. Time will tell on the mileage. So far so good.

Bones

I like the Nitto Tires as well. They have a very nice aggressive look to them.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Firestone Transforce HT tires that came stock on my truck . . . 20,000 as of yesterday on them and they still look great!

Even after a 2500 trip to AZ and back last January with the trailer in tow . . .

If I could have gotten the HT's in 15-inch . . . I would have bought a set of five for the trailer.

I have the Firestone Transforce HT tire on mine now as well. Factory tire.

- - - Updated - - -

How about nitto or cooper tires?

- - - Updated - - -

My load rating for the firestone is 3640 at 80 psi and 3305 dual at 80 psi

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah! The dually is about worthless in the snow. Has eliminated a lot of shifting into 4x4. Was a great compromise between a highway tread and an aggressive mud tire. Time will tell on the mileage. So far so good.

You mean y'all drive in that white stuff? Wow. Lol. People down here can't drive in the rain much less that stuff you get up there. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

You mean y'all drive in that white stuff? Wow. Lol. People down here can't drive in the rain much less that stuff you get up there. Lol

If I go about 20 miles to the west of where I am at right now . . . I'll find the white stuff!

Matter of fact, last I heard (yesterday) . . . Mt. Evans is still closed since the winter from too much snow and road damage up there!

JWalker

LOL! You don't even know how to winterize your trailer.....do ya.

jassson007

Why in the world would I want to do something like that. There is still camping to be done in dec jan and feb. lol.

Btw I have driven in snow before and did a good job just would not want to be pulling anything in it. Lol

Bones

Why in the world would I want to do something like that. There is still camping to be done in dec jan and feb. lol.

Btw I have driven in snow before and did a good job just would not want to be pulling anything in it. Lol

We drive in the snow here and we get Ice too but that does not mean people know how to drive here.

- - - Updated - - -

That is good info about the dually in the snow.

jassson007

We drive in the snow here and we get Ice too but that does not mean people know how to drive here.

- - - Updated - - -

That is good info about the dually in the snow.

It was more a dig at Jamie than anything. Keep trying to get him to move south but he won't do it. Lol

VKTalley

Hey, jamie, why winterize when you can just head south? :p That's what a the Traveling Talleys do! I've lived with snow (8 years in IN plus growing up in KY). I don't do snow unless absolutely necessary!

Bones

Hey, jamie, why winterize when you can just head south? :p That's what a the Traveling Talleys do! I've lived with snow (8 years in IN plus growing up in KY). I don't do snow unless absolutely necessary!

I wouldn't mind moving south for warmer weather.

JWalker

You guys are just talking snow fluries, come up here to NW, Pa. and we'll show ya snow.

Lake Erie causes most of our snow problems. There's got to be a way to drain that thing during the winter months.

- - - Updated - - -

It was more a dig at Jamie than anything. Keep trying to get him to move south but he won't do it. Lol

Find me a job and I'm there......

jassson007

Lake Erie causes most of our snow problems. There's got to be a way to drain that thing during the winter months.

- - - Updated - - -

Find me a job and I'm there......

There are several dairies here. Lol