Recommendations for replacement tires on our Big Horn 3570 RS

Just had a tire blow on our unit the other evening. :(

We have Very Low Mileage on these tires, and needless to say, we were not pleased that this happened and of course even more upset that the wheel cover was ripped off and heaven only knows what other damage the service techs find when they look at it.

Looking for recommendations on replacement tires from you Big Horn folks. ;-)

The tires that came with the unit are Towmax tires, and the hubby has no interest in replacing with the same brand.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can give us.

Our "BigHouse" goes into service on May 23rd for estimate & service......

jimtoo

Hi TheBigHouse,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sorry to hear of another tire failure, but there have been lots of the Towmax brand problems. Most folks are changing to the Goodyear G614 or Sailum tires. Call Tredit Tire (800) 537-2925 and get a claim started. You will need to keep the old tire as they will want tire returned. They may help pay or pay for damages. Please keep us informed as to outcome.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Also moved post to correct area.

danemayer

Just had a tire blow on our unit the other evening. :(

If you still have the blown tire, you might consider filing a report with NHTSA and making the tire available to them instead of trying to get $100 from the tire company. If a tire defect were found by NHTSA, it could help you and everyone else.

SeattleLion

We drove last summer with the TowMax with no problems. However, even if you don't buy the quality complaints (which I am not convinced are true for newer ones), they are rated way too close to our trailers' weight for comfort. The tires shouldn't ever be the weakest link in the suspension system. We just replaced ours with Goodyear G614's. They are rated well in excess of the 7,000 lb. axle rating at full inflation. They are bigger but still fit perfectly. Since they are LT tires, the max speed for them is 75 mph. Yet another increased safety margin. Goodyear has an excellent warranty and many dealers offer inexpensive insurance as well.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I put the Goodyear G614s on our last BC. This one came with the Sailuns and they are performing flawlessly. They are also less than half the price.

JanAndBill

Almost 9000 miles on our original Towmax tires and never a problem, but I couldn't stand the stress. Went with GY614's and still no problems. I've talked with several others who have had Towmax failures and when questioned admitted they routinely exceeded the speed rating or like one admitted hitting a curb. Not saying this is the cause of all the Towmax failures, just that it probably contributed to the ones these people had.

Last edited:

SeattleLion

Almost 9000 miles on our original Towmax problems and never a problem, but I couldn't stand the stress. Went with GY614's and still no problems. I've talked with several others who have had Towmax failures and when questioned admitted they routinely exceeded the speed rating or like one admitted hitting a curb. Not saying this is the cause of all the Towmax failures, just that it probably contributed to the ones these people had.
since towmax seem to be standard across the trailer industry, they can't be as bad as people here claim. I think the real problem is that a 15,000 lb fifth wheel doesn't belong on E tires even though they are rated for 3,500 lbs. per tire. It's just pushing too hard. The smallest push past max speed, 10 psi low on tire pressure can cause a failure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just put five brand new Hi-Run tires and new wheels on our 2013 Trail Runner less than two weeks ago, but last Saturday we decided to trade it in on a 2015 Prowler 5th-wheel, which has the BlowMax tires on it!

We pick up the new trailer next Friday, but I am taking the Trail Runner up to the dealership today so they can swap the brand new tires for the BlowMax's.

The original tires on the Trail Runner where BlowMax tires . . . got them still mounted on the rims on our deck . . . soon to find themselves on Craigslist!

Along with all of my weight distributing hitch gear, which I no longer need.

I will say that in 2 1/2 years and around 4000 miles, we never had any issues with the BlowMax's . . . but always felt uncomfortable with them.

EndOfTheBlowMaxs-P5100659.jpg

kowAlski631

Like some posters, we read the stories about the problems with Towmax tires and we also attributed the blowout reports to excessive speed or improper inflation or over loading or just plain exaggeration of a flat due to another cause. We believed that until we experienced blowouts and sidewall bubbles on tires that had NOT been subjected to improper speeds, load, inflation, or curb hits. We sincerely hope that you never become believers by experiencing what we did, but please don't doubt the accurate reporting of tire failure. We posted our experiences to warn others of the danger, not for sympathy or even validation. Good luck and safe travels.

Mullins

I just recently experienced the towmaxx blowout; damaged the one of the slides.. (~40 MPH, 4000 miles on tire @80 PSI) Yes, I agree, the Towmaxx is an industry standard and here is my opinion based on what the Heartland rep told me. They buy these tires buy the ship load with the wheel already mounted. One has to assume that they most likely pay next to nothing for the tire and rims. Again, you get what you pay for. I just bought the GY614, Pricey, you bet. Piece of mind; Priceless!!

This issue with the tire Sure Surprised us! We have only taken 7 short trips, -- the longest being 75 mi.

We are Thankful that this issue did happen Close to Home and since we are preparing for a 1000 mi. journey this Fall, we now know we NEED to replace ALL these tires NOW.

Sincerely and Safe Travels to you also. Karen

Thank you for your comments, and we are very happy to hear that you have had no problems, but after our issue, I think it was really wise of you to change those tires. We have only taken 7 trips since we've purchased our unit -- the longest trip was only 75 miles. The only good thing about this blow out is that we will have new/proper tires on our unit when we take our first "real trip" of a 1000 miles.
Safe Travels to you.... Karen:cool:

Gaffer

No matter what tire you have or get, check the pressure every morning before towing. Keep a compressor on board.

MagnoliaTom

X3, please get rid of the Towmax ASAP. I went with the Sailun S637 and I'm very happy with them.

Same here. Get the sailuns. The are a commercial truck tire and very heavy duty. About half the price of GY G614. Got mine from simple tire online and they were shipped to my door in 2 days.

JanAndBill

since towmax seem to be standard across the trailer industry, they can't be as bad as people here claim. I think the real problem is that a 15,000 lb fifth wheel doesn't belong on E tires even though they are rated for 3,500 lbs. per tire. It's just pushing too hard. The smallest push past max speed, 10 psi low on tire pressure can cause a failure.

Tires were a major line item expense for me. Speaking from that experience I can say that the major reasons for tire failures on the road were under inflation, and road hazards. Tires hitting curbs was so bad that I ran recaps on the right front position on all of our trailers, and new tires on the other positions. Anytime a tire hits a curb, pothole, etc. it is subjected to damaging forces that may not show up till later. I consider myself to be a careful driver and do my best to avoid hazards, but sometimes they are unavoidable on today's roads. That said though, I will admit that a better quality tire with the proper load rating was better able to withstand the forces it was routinely subjected to. I check the air pressure before the start of a trip, or if the trailer has been sitting for awhile, but otherwise I just kick them when I stop.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have heard from "higher up" that they are phasing out TowMax tires at Heartland. But that still may take a while considering all the units still on dealer's lots, the transport lot, and inventory to be completed with remaining tires in stock.

Your best bet if buying one new is insist that it does not come with TowMax and be willing to pay for the upgrade. It's well worth the added cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk