Recommendations for replacement tires on our Big Horn 3570 RS

Hello Everyone!
Just wanted to say that "The Big House" is at the service center now and soon will have 4 new GY614's a new spare tire, and the needed repair work due to the tire shredding. ;-(
We will also be purchasing a compressor to carry along with us too!
Thank You All for your help and suggestions and May We All travel -- Safe & Sound.
Sincerely, Karen & David :cool:

I've had two bad Towmax tires on my 2014 Heartland Big Horn Silverado. One had a bulge on the sidewall and was changed before it blew and the other one blew on my last trip. I received a new replacement under warranty for the first one but the other was damaged so bad I don't the company would accept responsibilty. Besides, I don't want anymore Towmax tires even if they offered to replace all four. I don't understand why Heartland would put such worthless tires on a expensive camper. I would have rather paid a little more and got better tires. I'm not moving that camper until I replace all four tires. I understand that from reading other threats that Sailun Advantage tires are pretty good tires, is that correct?

danemayer

I've had two bad Towmax tires on my 2014 Heartland Big Horn Silverado. One had a bulge on the sidewall and was changed before it blew and the other one blew on my last trip. I received a new replacement under warranty for the first one but the other was damaged so bad I don't the company would accept responsibilty. Besides, I don't want anymore Towmax tires even if they offered to replace all four. I don't understand why Heartland would put such worthless tires on a expensive camper. I would have rather paid a little more and got better tires. I'm not moving that camper until I replace all four tires. I understand that from reading other threats that Sailun Advantage tires are pretty good tires, is that correct?

Hi Hawkdriver16,

Sailun S637 tires have a very good rep at a reasonable price. They are load range G and require a rim rated for 3750 lbs or 110 psi. You need to verify that your rims are rated for that pressure before installing new tires. The inside of the rim has a stamp in it indicating either 110 or 3750.

Most people would advise also replacing the spare.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sorry you had problems with TowMax, if you have done a search you probably would have found the threads since 2011 saying these tires should be called "BlowMax" and you'd better replace them before they "go off". Excessive heat from exceeding the speed rating, overloading, misalignment, unbalanced tires and under inflation can also cause premature tire failure.

Heartland was likely in a long term contract with the supplier of these tires. We have seen them switch away from the TowMax brand on nearly all of the heavier fivers.

It was not just a Heartland problem, but nearly all towable brands went to a cheaper Chinese made tire for a few years. Sadly they did not live up to the task.

Since there are far less trailers then autos on the road, and folks with TowMax issues were not reporting these failures to the NTHSA, there was never any real documentation of the problems.

IMHO I think Heartland, thanks to this forum and direct feedback from owners, as well as dealers making parts requests to fix blowout damage, probably learned they need to do something different when their contact with TowMax was up.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In case you haven't read this yet . . . get rid of the TowMax (aka - BlowMax) tires!

And don't fall for the Goodyear Marathon tires . . . ******!

Same tread . . . same everything!

Maxxis, Carlysle, Hi Run (I have Hi Run's) . . . these all seem to be good trailer tire brands . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input, I do have a question on checking the rims, I have two stamps on the inside of my rims, one says 6H-139.7 Max Load 3200 LBS and the other one says 8H-165.1 Max Load 3750 LBS however the 3750 is more like it is stamped in the rim. Which one is correct.

gag518

I have a 2015 Bighorn I got a flat recently. The tire's on our Rv were towmax power kings approximately 10000 km (6200 miles) after taking the tire to the shop and being told it won't even take air its that badly separated I went home and checked out the other 3 tire's on our RV only to find out another tire looked to be the same shape as the first separated tire. so I brought in the to have the tire's checked out and yes another tire was separated so now I am putting 4 new tire's on I have owned RV's for 30 years and have never replaced tires this soon. I called heartlands customer service center only to be told if its a tire issue I needed to call the tire manufacture. I wasn't after any kind f warranty I just wanted heartland to know my displeasure in this brand of tire. The person at their customer service center started to become somewhat rude like he had heard this story a 1000 times and didn't want to listen to it again. So ending that conversation I proceeded to email he Heartland head office they weren't as rude but they didn't want to listen either telling me all tire issues need to go to the manufacture. Anyway I emailed them also getting told take picture's save the tire's and start a warranty claim. I haven't time to fight over a 100.00 bucks so I'm chaulking it up to a lesson learned today. The next Rv I buy will not have this brand of tire's on it even if the dealer has to change them out just to make a sale. As far as Heartland I like their overall product but I question how much they really stand behind what they sell or if their only wanting to get them out of the factory at a minimum requirement.

mlpeloquin

I have a 2015 Bighorn I got a flat recently. The tire's on our Rv were towmax power kings approximately 10000 km (6200 miles) after taking the tire to the shop and being told it won't even take air its that badly separated I went home and checked out the other 3 tire's on our RV only to find out another tire looked to be the same shape as the first separated tire. so I brought in the to have the tire's checked out and yes another tire was separated so now I am putting 4 new tire's on I have owned RV's for 30 years and have never replaced tires this soon. I called heartlands customer service center only to be told if its a tire issue I needed to call the tire manufacture. I wasn't after any kind f warranty I just wanted heartland to know my displeasure in this brand of tire. The person at their customer service center started to become somewhat rude like he had heard this story a 1000 times and didn't want to listen to it again. So ending that conversation I proceeded to email he Heartland head office they weren't as rude but they didn't want to listen either telling me all tire issues need to go to the manufacture. Anyway I emailed them also getting told take picture's save the tire's and start a warranty claim. I haven't time to fight over a 100.00 bucks so I'm chaulking it up to a lesson learned today. The next Rv I buy will not have this brand of tire's on it even if the dealer has to change them out just to make a sale. As far as Heartland I like their overall product but I question how much they really stand behind what they sell or if their only wanting to get them out of the factory at a minimum requirement.

With this opinion, you will also have to not purchase your favorite car or truck as well if the tires go bad. You see all vehicle manufactures do not give a warranty on tires. With every new car I purchased, including my truck, I was told that the tires were not covered by the dealer or the builder, but by the tire manufacture only. I replace mine with Goodyear G614's.

Heartland no longer uses Towmax tires. The are using Sailun or Goodyear tires, and not the questionable Goodyear marathon trailer tires.

Jim.Allison

Difference is, our trucks don't come with passenger car tires on them. The Towmax is a pair of fairy slippers, compared to the tire required, and NEVER should have been put on our rigs by the OEM.
With this opinion, you will also have to not purchase your favorite car or truck as well if the tires go bad. You see all vehicle manufactures do not give a warranty on tires. With every new car I purchased, including my truck, I was told that the tires were not covered by the dealer or the builder, but by the tire manufacture only. I replace mine with Goodyear G614's.

Heartland no longer uses Towmax tires. The are using Sailun or Goodyear tires, and not the questionable Goodyear marathon trailer tires.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was at the Longmont, Colorado Camping World today to get a MaxxAir vent cover plus a couple of other items, and after I was done I walked around the lot and looked at a few 5th-wheelers, toy haulers, and several bumper pull TT's.

I looked at a Torque and a couple of Road Warriors (all Heartland) and they had Sailuns on them.

Several of the other brands of 5'vers and toy haulers still had BlowMaxes on them, and I saw another brand of ST tire I've never heard of on a couple of them

Heartland is still using BlowMaxes on many of their bumper pull TT's and smaller 5'vers.

Our 2015 Heartland Prowler had Blowmax tires on it at the dealership, but I had them swapped out for the brand new tires I had just purchased for our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper pull that we were trading in.

Mullins

Yep, had the same issue with the towmax. Heartland could care less when I spoke to the service rep.. But here is a tip that I learned for those of you that have towmax and have a blowout and want to file a claim: DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT send the towmax back to Dynamic Tire!! let the insurance company have the tire, they will deal with Dynamic tire. Unfortunately my blowout costs the insurance co. thousands of dollars in repair costs. I sent my tire to Dynamic Tire for evaluation per the instruction I was given by Dynamic, Big mistake on my part,(what the H did I know at the time) the insurance co. tried like H to recoup their loss, if I would have given it to the insurance co. maybe they would have won their case. And I think you are correct, Heartland really does not stand behind what they sell, there is defiantly no urgency on their part to get something done under warranty.. I can go on and on, but you get the picture..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Difference is, our trucks don't come with passenger car tires on them. The Towmax is a pair of fairy slippers, compared to the tire required, and NEVER should have been put on our rigs by the OEM.

Well, the whole industry was duped, not just Heartland. MANY brands had Towmax tires. By the numbers the TowMax tires had the rating appropriate for the rigs they were put on. The tire was poorly constructed and did not handle the real world forces of USA driving. But the contract was for a number of years -- Heartland realized the issue, and has changed tires.

I can't say what other manufacturers are doing.