recommended campground for the Smokey Mountain National Park

szewczyk_john

I am trying to plan my 2015 vacation time from work and I am looking for recommendations for our first trip to the Smokey Mountain National Park area. The timing will be right after the Goshen rally or prior to the Richmond fall race which is scheduled for 9/12. I enjoy the parks that are pet friendly but not too crowded. Appreciate any advice from those that have visited the area.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What part of the Smokies are you looking to stay in - NC or TN? Do you want to stay on the east side of the mountains or west side? One of the popular areas near the park is in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN area which has lots of campgrounds. A quieter side next to the Park is in Townsend, TN. Just need to have a little more info.

szewczyk_john

If I go after Goshen it would be to the teen side, I looked near Dollywood or Gallinburg. If I go in September it would be on the NC side of the park.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I wouldn't come to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg in September because that the street rat rod and shades of the past car events which is total kayos for a couple of weeks. Campgrounds are full, plus you just can't drive around let alone move around during that time unless you like that kind of stuff. Here is a link to camping in PF. Closer to the TN/VA line off I-81 near Bristol Motor Speedway is Lakeview RV Park. Nice little park. In Cherokee NC is the Cherokee KOA. That's just a start to think about.

Kbvols

We really like riversedge primarily due to its location. It is right off the main strip on the south end of PF. Easy access to Gatlinburg or to the tourist attractions/resturants in PF. Trolley bus route goes thru park if you prefer to take trolley vs drive. Park is active in summer months we usually go in October so active but not as busy as summer months. Restrooms and showers are outstanding. Anyway great area tons to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donr827

We always went to Pine Mountain RV park in Pigeon Forge the middle of October for the changing of the leaves. The best sites are the ones on the creek. Lots of room on those sites and all complete sites. It's busy that time of the year for the leaf peepers.
Don

'Lil Guy'

We were there last year. Stayed at Up The Creek RV park. Great place. Google it up and I think you'll like it. Nice sites with patios, fire pits, tables and chairs and some even have an outdoor kitchen. Running creek around the park and the outer sites are on the water.