Recommended tow vehicle for a new Cyclone 3110

Jim.Allison

My wife and I are starting to look around at getting a bigger trailer. We have really liked what we have seen with the Cyclone line. We love the 4100 and the new 4200, however, the length on those is too long for some of the campgrounds we go to that have a 40' limit. We have started to look at the 3110 and really like what we are seeing. My question is regarding the tow vehicle for the 3110. I am going to be buying the vehicle and toy hauler so I am open to what truck to get. From my research it sounds like I should get a Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x2, with the with the 6.7L, 3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio and the fifth wheel package/tow package. Does this sound like the right option?
Where ever I go with my Ram Cummins, the Chevy and Ford guys tell me they wish they would have bought the RAM. But having said that They are all good trucks and have their specific pluses. Ford is definitely a beautiful truck proven drivetrain. The diesel is having problems and I hear ford is resisting warranty repairs in some of these problem areas. Such as installing a rebuilt in a diesel that made it less than 100 miles. The GM has one of the most respected transmissions in the industry and their diesel is proven, nothing wrong with the drive line. I just don't like GM products, I feel odd saying that because I used to be a diehard Chevy man. Dodge has the Cummins, and in the 3500 they use the Asine Transmission which has an excellent reputation. All three sue the same transfer case so it is not an issue. Ram Truck is my choice and I don't think you will find a tougher truck. 15,000 mile oil changes, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, many Dodge/Ram owners have driven 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles. Thats proven value. My suggestion is to go to each website and build the truck on their truck builder and see what they have. You also need the brochure from each truck so that you can look at all the load ratings for comparison. Dont guess at it like I did. I got the right truck but I should have gotten the 3500, not a bad mistake but a mistake all the same.

Cjackg

Just cant pass up those comments....I have previously owned 2 Dodge Cummins 3500 DRWs and my 2015 Silverado is my first GM product in many years.
This Chevy tows my 3110 with ease and never seems to be under any strain. It is the quietest truck I have owned, both engine and road noise. It is a very refined and capable truck.

I would buy it again instead of a RAM!

It is also Made in America!

steiny93

my in-laws run dmax and my folks run dodge diesels for their companies

the cummins continually get better mileage; like shockingly better (we did a trip this winter, pulling 10k loads, so little ones). 3 dmax's and 2 cummins; the cummin's got 12-15 and the dmaxs got 6-8, all measurements at the pump on the same day all in a row. The dmax guys still think the cummins guys were tricking them; it was that different. Then to boot; 2 of the dmax's jelled up at the tail end of the trip (all the trucks had the same fuel from the same places).

dmax's used to be nicer in the cabs; I think i'd have to give this to the dodge camp now (comparing the 2015's to each other) but they are pretty close

dmax has an awesome tranny, dodge has the motor

both will work fine; i'd recommend driving a couple and make up your mind

I've been a gm guy for a long time; but the new trucks from gm have left me wanting ALOT more out of a re-design.
The bankruptcy hurt GM bad and its evident in their new trucks. example (halo lighting inside the cab; keyless start; proximity entry; a decent touchscreen; fix the Bluetooth integration) all stuff that has been in the market for years and the new gm trucks don't get it for the re-design.

I'm not sure about the made in America part; my gmc says 'mexico' in the door frame.

MTPockets

It's an undisputed observation that most folks prefer a SRW truck. I get it; and, everyone justifies their choice with comments about "pulls great" "never a problem" "I use air bags" - on and on it goes. "Pulling Power" is the minor issue. Most deisel trucks have enough "pulling" power. Owners need to "know" their truck payload max "and" the actual payload they will have. Newer trucks will have their max payload posted on their door post. Each truck will be different based on factory configuration and options, that could vary by 1000 lbs. Your payload can "only" be determined by getting the rig weighed. Guesses are worthless. Your payload is the weight of passengers, any gear, toolboxes, hitch, aux fuel & tank, etc., plus the actual pin weight of the loaded fifth wheel - not the standard 15 - 25%. If you're smart, you'll know your numbers instead of using guesses and hopes that your truck is just fine cause Someone else said a SRW is just fine.

gregattaway

Installed the firestone bags for my diesel today ... picking up the new 3110 in a few weeks ... thanks for all the info !!!

Jim.Allison

That is just it, you can't carry all that stuff in the tow vehicle. PERIOD. Not only can you eat up all that door post payload in a hurry, you can eat up your tires max load too. Im a victim of my own inexperience that is why I have a 2500 and not a 3500. My bad. But I aint taking a bath on trading any part of the rig when I know there is no difference between a 2500 and a 3500 in the SRW EXCEPT the springs and the optional transmission. I was never in the market for a dually anyway. If I could I would add an AUX tank, but I can't (or won't) I'm still within my my max load of my tires and the further away from the max load I can stay the better. As far as stability is concerned I'm sure there is something to that claim by dually drivers. Although I was in a pretty good side wind yesterday and today in west Texas and New Mexico. It was not a big problem but noticeable. I got hit by a dust devil twice. And yes It caused me to look around and check my mirrors. I guess I would have bought a dually knowing what I know now, but knowing what I know now would not have led me to the Ram 2500 but rather a 3500 with Ricksons wheels and medium duty commercial tires. Then there is the weight of the tires to consider. Sooooooo there is a lot to be said for the dually. But one thing is for sure, you should never, ever, ever, listen to that salesman on the lot. They should come here and blog the heck out of it just like we are doing here so they can get all the ins and outs. Im comfortable with my rig, but I keep my eyes out for what I'm up against also.
It's an undisputed observation that most folks prefer a SRW truck. I get it; and, everyone justifies their choice with comments about "pulls great" "never a problem" "I use air bags" - on and on it goes. "Pulling Power" is the minor issue. Most deisel trucks have enough "pulling" power. Owners need to "know" their truck payload max "and" the actual payload they will have. Newer trucks will have their max payload posted on their door post. Each truck will be different based on factory configuration and options, that could vary by 1000 lbs. Your payload can "only" be determined by getting the rig weighed. Guesses are worthless. Your payload is the weight of passengers, any gear, toolboxes, hitch, aux fuel & tank, etc., plus the actual pin weight of the loaded fifth wheel - not the standard 15 - 25%. If you're smart, you'll know your numbers instead of using guesses and hopes that your truck is just fine cause Someone else said a SRW is just fine.

gregattaway

thank you all for the air bag info !!!

next question:

If you still have the stock tires (235/80/16) on your 3110 can you please measure the distance between them as I am looking at a 235 "85" 16 replacement tire ...

Still have not picked up my new 3110 yet ...

thanks you !!!
Greg Attaway

Last edited:

Cjackg

Sure would consider replacing the OEM 16" bombs with some serious 17.5 tires & wheels. If you move fast you might be able to offset the cost some with trade in of the OEM's!

gregattaway

trying to keep the cost more reasonable ... i just need to know the gap between the stock tires on 3110 ...

is it 2" 3" 4" 5" ???

thanks ...

gregattaway

I will measure mine tomorrow and post it.

that would be 235 80 16 if I am not mistaken as stock ...

but if different let me know that too :)

THANK YOU !!!

Jeff I see your pic ... we have a 2011 super duty 4 dr 8' bed ... how does yours pull (although i think i have a different eng now)

gregattaway

FYI, I just had the following recommended to me Double Coin 750 R16 Load G ...
Now I can see these tires have been around since at least 2005, they are china but used more in trucking I gather ...
There are some review use on RV but I can not find any problems either from the truckers or RV's ...
Anyone hear anything ?
The are very close in size to a 235 85 16 ...

Ladiver

I have the Goodyear G614 (235/85R16) tires on stock rims. The work great and have a greater load capacity than stock. I am not a fan of putting Chinese rubber under my rig.

gregattaway

I have the Goodyear G614 (235/85R16) tires on stock rims. The work great and have a greater load capacity than stock. I am not a fan of putting Chinese rubber under my rig.

Every tire has a DOT # ... if you can give me the first 2 digits after "DOT" I can tell you exactly where those tires were made ... It can start with a number or a letter ...

Ladiver

I don't have access to the trailer right now, but I do remember checking prior to buying them and they are US made!

jeffdee

that would be 235 80 16 if I am not mistaken as stock ...

but if different let me know that too :)

THANK YOU !!!

Jeff I see your pic ... we have a 2011 super duty 4 dr 8' bed ... how does yours pull (although i think i have a different eng now)

I just measured.... it is 4 inches between tires. ST235 80 R16.

As to your second question, my tow vehicle is a 2010 F250 2WD Lariat 6.4L 6-1/2 foot box SRW Firestone air bags. It pulls the rv with no problems. Fully loaded the hitch did not squat the truck before the airbags were installed. I added the air bags to stabilize the bouncing hitch when on rough interstates. With the air bags there is no more continuous bouncing. I run them a 30 psi. Any more than that the ride becomes rough and it will be raising the front of the rv making the ac on the roof higher than 13' 3".

gregattaway

THANK YOU JEFF I OWE YOU AT LEAST A COLD ONE SOMEDAY !!!

You actually answered another question I would have had as I too added the Firestone air bags so 30 psi is what i will set it to !!!

I just measured.... it is 4 inches between tires. ST235 80 R16.

As to your second question, my tow vehicle is a 2010 F250 2WD Lariat 6.4L 6-1/2 foot box SRW Firestone air bags. It pulls the rv with no problems. Fully loaded the hitch did not squat the truck before the airbags were installed. I added the air bags to stabilize the bouncing hitch when on rough interstates. With the air bags there is no more continuous bouncing. I run them a 30 psi. Any more than that the ride becomes rough and it will be raising the front of the rv making the ac on the roof higher than 13' 3".