Reese Goose Box

rustyshakelford

Does anyone run this pin box? Considering this when the new truck comes in and sell my companion on Craig's list. It would be nice to get some bed space back and not have to remove tge companion when hooking to a gn. Also it should improve the ride and it will not void my warranty since its approved by lippert. I've found it for about $1k shipped

Brett

rustyshakelford

here is the link to the pin box.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP94621.html

i have been considering the 5th airborne with sidewinder but it wouldnt work with the companion if i remember correctly. this would take care of the clunking and free up a ton of bed space. i could probably sell my companion for 500-600 so it would only be about 400 out of pocket which isnt to bad considering how handy it would be and that my friends could pull it somewhere if i got in a bind with a truck in the shop

brett

porthole

Retired
A little lite in the weight rating don't you think?
And since your trailer was built before the "approved by lippert" notice came out is there any concern that the frame is up to the task?

Pizzaguy

After seeing crosswinds blow over a 28' fiver in Iowa last summer I would not use the gooseneck. The trailer was hooked to a Ford Superduty and snapped the ball right off. The top part of the ball was still in the hitch and the box of the truck didn't look too good either.

rustyshakelford

A little lite in the weight rating don't you think?
And since your trailer was built before the "approved by lippert" notice came out is there any concern that the frame is up to the task?

The hitch Definately won't be considered overkill. I need to call lippert but as far as I can tell there haven't been any frame modifications since aug 11. The way the pin box looks makes me think it wouldn't cause any additional stress on anything.

What is the weight rating on the standard 3010 pin box? I still need to run across the scales to see what we really weight.

Brett

R.Pratt

We started with a ranch hand goose on our 3850, it was the worst decision we have ever don't, the chucking was horrible and the ride was awful! Once I changed to the companion it was so much better and with the tilt control it made a much better ride, I did like the ease of the goose neck and it really cleaned up the bed but honestly if you are going to convert keep your b&w just in case
just my .02

rustyshakelford

we ran across the scales last night and it look like we will be within capacity on the goose box by several hundred on the pin weight and will be within 100-200 on the total trailer weight. we can probably slim it down a little but being so close really makes me want to try it. it is loaded with options that i think would really benefit the trailer as far as ride. i will keep everyone posted on what we decide to do. the only thing that concerns me are the dimensions. i ordered a new tool back that fits at the back of the truck bed and i will need min 9" to clear it so i have some measuring and figuring to do.

brett