Reese Goosebox Review

rustyshakelford

I have now had the goosebox (goose box) for about 8 months and can offer up my thoughts since I've seen two posts asking about them on the first three pages of the forum.

Install was a nightmare. After triple checking my original pin box I ordered it. It would not match up to the bolt holes on my wing set. Reese's orders were to drill two new holes into the hitch.

With it installed,it would hit my toolbox in the bed. I had the corners cut down and it fixes the problem. On the maiden voyage the pressure relief valve kept bleeding all the air off. The end result was a horrible ride and lower ride height. Long story short, trailer got into my bed and crushed the corner along with putting a hole in the trailer. Made a claim with Reese due to the malfunctioning part. I went round and round with them until a check showed up in the mail. They claim they are not at fault but sent a very generous check. bout 4 times what I was expecting.

I removed the pressure relief valve and run without one. The bag is only aired to 60 psi so I'm not concerned with damaging it.

I believe I was the first one or close to it running this hitch. I think my issues hopefully allowed them to make some adjustments. With a few small tweaks this is a great hitch! I definitely recommend deleting the prv before using though

brett

lwmcguir

We installed ours on a F350 LB and haven't had any problems. I can see where a short bed with a tool box might be as we had problems turning short with our Yellowstone on the SB TV. You do need a HD drill and a 5/8" bit to install as a replacement for Lippert HD pin boxes. Certainly good advice to watch the air pressure. You can easily inflate it with a sears hand held compressor as needed if you do leak down. Hopefully the PRV has been upgraded for future buyers. The design is perfect for giving you the support to minimize to allow you to safely use a GN instead of a 5th Wheel. We have towed 5th Wheel campers since they were initially build and never had a 5th Wheel hitch and never will so the Goose Box was a welcome upgrade.

rustyshakelford

We installed ours on a F350 LB and haven't had any problems. I can see where a short bed with a tool box might be as we had problems turning short with our Yellowstone on the SB TV. You do need a HD drill and a 5/8" bit to install as a replacement for Lippert HD pin boxes. Certainly good advice to watch the air pressure. You can easily inflate it with a sears hand held compressor as needed if you do leak down. Hopefully the PRV has been upgraded for future buyers. The design is perfect for giving you the support to minimize to allow you to safely use a GN instead of a 5th Wheel. We have towed 5th Wheel campers since they were initially build and never had a 5th Wheel hitch and never will so the Goose Box was a welcome upgrade.

How did you know you had to drill the goosebox? Was it in the instructions or did you see it wouldn't work and drilled? I have a toolbox that goes in the rear of my bed right behind the tailgate. It has a cut out that allows the GN to clear.

Brett