Refrigerator Dead!

jerryjay11

People, If the capacitor is bad the compressor will not run as the OP stated it does. Instead the compressor would make a buzzing sound and a click as it is trying to start. Next time your home refrigerator is running, try unplugging and immediately plugging it back in and your will hear this. Some newer electronic controlled fridges have a built-in delay to prevent this, so this won't work on them. The click is the overload device opening because of the high amperage when attempting to start. There are three devices on a capacitor start compressor...Start Capacitor, Start Relay, and Overload device. The start relay puts the start winding in parallel with the run winding on initial start until the amperage drops low enough as the motor gets near full speed. When the Start winding drops out the compressor is running only on the run winding at a lower amperage. Now even if you had a compressor that utilized a run capacitor, if the compactor is defective the compressor would trip from high amperage via the overload device. It would not run as the OP stated it does. The start winding is only in the circuit for less than a second to overcome the initial torque required to rotate the compressor and pump the refrigerant.

So replacing a capacitor, relay, or overload isn't going to fix a compressor that is running and not cooling. Either there is a sealed system leak or the reed valves in the compressor are shot. I have 39 years experience in the HVAC/R field and still doing it as a hobby.

Thystra

How do you pull out the refrigerator to access the back? We have a Big Country 2016 and the Frigidaire has stopped cooling. The control panel is degraded and the tech was unable to read the error codes. We couldn't figure out how to pull it out from the slide to look at the back and check for a coolant leak/dead compressor.

Is it bolted toe the floor?

How hard is it to remove/replace from the RV? Will they fit out the door or do I need to take it to the shop and have them pull the kitchen slide to R/R the refrigerator?

Thanks.

Yup! Refrigerator manufacturers did away with the 5 year warranty on the sealed system (compressor and refrigerant circuit) years ago. $900 is about right to a replace compressor. As an appliance (retired) technician I have seen this way too often when storing an R12 or R134A type fridge for extended periods. Something prior to storage causes the compressor oil to become acidic and because it sits in one place (compressor) and not circulated throughout the sealed system it takes it's toll. Then again there could have been something wrong with the compressor from the get-go and not being a fridge tech did not notice.

Things to look for in R12 and R134A type fridge: (not absorption type)
-freezer reaches "0" degrees R134A (older R12 units "0" to"10" degs. satisfactory) Needs to be below "14' degs. for icemaker to work properly
-Fresh food compartment "38 - 42" degrees (preferred temps)
-Condenser fan must be operating to cool refrigerant properly
(fridge may appear to cool, but takes longer to get there. Edge of fridge where door seals meet (yoder loop) will be very hot due to insufficient cooling at the condenser coil. This can eventually cause the oil to be overheated as well

Note: Other than some fridges like Samsung that has multiple evaporators, the cooling coil (evaporator) is located in the freezer compartment and if you are getting the temps in the freezer I mentioned above the fresh food compartment should reach proper temps. If not there is a problem with airflow caused by no fan operation, defrost not working and frosting up the evaporator, other blockage, etc.
top 5 refrigerator
These are just quick checks that a homeowner or in this case an RV owner with a conventional fridge can do to assure they catch a problem before major issues occur. Hope this can help someone.
My 36" side-by-side fridge just died and now I'm scrambling to save what food I have in there. Everything is being put outside (thank God it's winter). I'm not too familiar with good vs bad brands these days when it comes to refrigerators. Other than the usual avoid Samsung, what's a good brand these days? Looking for another 36" wide fridge, preferably french door/freezer bottom. Larger is always better as the one that just died was 25.4cuft.

jerryjay11

I'm a Whirlpool fan. Since Whirlpool purchased Maytag I'll say Maytag as well. But my most favorite brand of appliances is LG though. Mostly because of the dependable electronics. All our home appliances are LG.

david-steph2018

My 36" side-by-side fridge just died and now I'm scrambling to save what food I have in there. Everything is being put outside (thank God it's winter). I'm not too familiar with good vs bad brands these days when it comes to refrigerators. Other than the usual avoid Samsung, what's a good brand these days? Looking for another 36" wide fridge, preferably french door/freezer bottom. Larger is always better as the one that just died was 25.4cuft.
What went out on the fridge?

rhodies1

I can tell you horror stories about LG appliances.My 36 in side by side dies on Aug.1 and it took until Aug 19 to have someone from the after market warranty to check it... it was a total piece of crap,LG wrote it off.
My replacement isn’t expected until Nov 25. That’s 4 months...
By the way this is the 3 one that LG replaced,,,same style fridge in less than 4 years.
Nobody today makes anything that is good,we live in a throw away society.

2019_V22