Remote start on a diesel

Dave012

Thanks for all the responses. It got me looking into it a little more. Turns out that Ford has an OEM version of remote starters as some of you already know. Also, all of the standard remote starters such as Viper, Python, Autopage etc. can be made to be used on a diesel just by setting a delay before starting.

I like the idea, especially for the delayed turnoff feature. However, I will need to research my concerns some more. My sense of these new diesels with DPF's is that they are great for what they have been designed to do (clean and powerful diesel power) but...... they are a different animal than your dad's diesel. And constantly letting them idle while it warms up............ well I dunno!! Not convinced yet that this is a good idea.

Thanks again, guys,

Pete

Pete,

I had the same concerns which is why I started a thread a couple of weeks ago on Excessive Idling (I have no idea on how to link to it). Will likely go with the upfitter switch modification if I want it to idle for a while.

If you have any questions on the Ford remote start you can PM me. I have the one with the integrated alarm. I had the dealer install mine.

Dave

porthole

Retired
My truck has that feature, but it came that way from GM. It is nice on hot days, because it tuns on the A/C, and on cold days, the heat and the heated seats.

Thats nice with the seats. I don't have a remote start but if I go out and start the truck the seats don't come on until you are sitting in them.

I have the Viper remote start on my 05 F350. In the warmer weather it is OK, but in colder weather it may take 3 or 4 times to start, so in cold weather 35F and below

Can't you adjust the delay?

I had an Auto Start brand installed in my 05 chev 2500 duramax. It waits 7 seconds and then fires it up which is lots of time for the glow plugs to heat up. It has a shutdown feature that will let the motor run for 60 sec to cool the turbo down. I can set it so that it will start every 2 hrs on real cold days and run for 20 min then shut down and start again in 2 hrs.

I think GM's have the shortest "wait cycle" espcially the mid 06 and up.

Somtheing I read awhile ago about about the transmission cooling line leakage problem was that is was being casused by exceesive idling on cold engines.

It seems that the trans cooling circuit is blocked in an atttmept to let the engine heat up quicker. This then causes excessvie pressure (especially cold) in the cooler lines that only have crimps on the hose/pipe interface.

CrazyScotsman

Duane.. I probably can adjust the delay, but in my case when truck is in garage, I still have to open garage door before I start the truck. Don't think my DW would appreciate a fume filled garage.
Even in summer I hardly ever use the remote start. I know one time I was sitting on the couch with one of the dogs on my lap, truck was in drive. DW came in asked me why truck was running, I didn't hear it, keys and remote were in my pocket, dog must have hit the remote with his or her paw while climbing up on me.
No telling how long it was running, or how long it would have been left running if DW didn't notice.

caissiel

Auto starts have a shut down system that does not allow the vehicle to idle all day, I think.
I never had any use for autostart. I never have to idle much, and never did for the last 40 years.
I don't like the diesel smell of the vehicle that is idled, much less the gasser's smell.

wyleyrabbit

My truck's exhaust barely smells. Now my wife's 2004 VW Jetta TDI is like an old bus, complete with black smoke on cold mornings.

BruteForce

My 2009 Ram has remote start. If the temp is too cold, it will have a short delay, then start. If I don't engage the key within 15 minutes, the truck will shut down.

I need to research the auto delay shutdown to allow the turbo to cool, etc.

mdvctry

Another 2009 Silverado TV here with OEM remote start. I like it for those mornings during the past two months when we've had snow. I can start the truck remotely, let it auto heat up and run the defrost while I clean off the outside. Its nice not having to clean off the truck just to get in to let it warm it up. By the time I've cleaned the snow off and scraped the windows, the inside is toasting. Gotta love those warm seats. ;-)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
About the only time I use my remote start is when I have to clear the driveway of snow and there's a pile on top of the truck. I really doubt it's going to kill it. If it does, the extended zero-deductible warranty gets used. For late night calls, when there's snow and ice on it, I use the wife's vehicle in the garage to respond.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
This is both funny and not funny. My son's Brother-in-Law has a remote start (don't know the brand) in his F250. It has a short in it and when shut down will sometimes re-start all on it's own! He hasn't gotten it repaired/replaced yet and it's kind of funny to see it start up for no reason sometimes. He can't leave it sitting anywhere without waiting for around 10 minutes to make sure it isn't going to re-start.

alkyspeed

I have had a Design Tech remote start unit on my '95 F-350 for many years now. Works well and is fully programmable for diesel delay start and also run times . If I remember either 10-15 o 20 minutes runtime.
Also has a switch you can install for letting the truck run with locked doors at a quick stop, convenience store or whatever. The remote can also be wired to lock-unlock the doors like your keyfob. Good unit.