BC 3900 FLP - Bed Lift Linear Actuators

OmniDynmc

We decided to turn part of our under bed storage into a cat box to free up space from our closet. As a result, we'd need to get under the bed often to freshen up the box and with a couple of memory foam toppers, bedding and pillows it was getting heavy. Enter linear actuators, a car entry remote and about 2 days of tinkering.

I installed the cat door on the back side of the bed so it couldn't be seen as you walk up into the bedroom. I tapped in to the 12v light wiring that runs behind the bed and up to the overheads for power and installed a switch on the right side of the bed. You can use one of two car remotes to lift or lower. These pictures were from before I installed the upper and lower limit switches to prevent the actuators from moving the bed too low or too high. I also added heavy metal gate hinges where the two pieces of plywood meet to prevent the stress of the actuators from ripping out the smaller hinges that came with the unit. I chose to leave but reposition the gas springs to give the actuators a little more lift and support on the way up. The actuators + car remote controller that wires to them can easily be found on amazon but the sizing is the trick, it took a bit of time and effort figuring out the perfect mounting spots to lift the bed with the throw length of the actuators I bought.

IMG_0821.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0826.jpg

rsg1963

Very cool. Would you mind sharing the part numbers or links to them so others could benefit from all your hard research?

OmniDynmc

Very cool. Would you mind sharing the part numbers or links to them so others could benefit from all your hard research?

Sure thing!

The actuators I purchased came with the controller and remote:

[h=1]"2 Heavy Duty Linear Actuator 12v, 12" Stroke: Includes Remote Switch & Brackets"[/h]
Brand NameMPC
Part Number2-LAD-B12_wRemt-Swtch0719_4-Usbracket
UPC040201884757
EAN0040201884757
Item Weight19.4 pounds
Number of Items1
UNSPSC Code31251511

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

Looks like the link to the particular one I ordered is unavailable but I found this one which looks identical:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Li...89&sr=1-4&keywords=linear+actuator+remote+12"

Since these are mounted to push up on the bed from the front there is a bit of flexibility on the length of the actuators, just make sure the actuator can fit mounted to the font of the storage floor pushing up and out on the rear of the board under the bed. The actuator controller and remote controller both come with a one page sheet on their wiring. The sheet is enough to tell you how to wire it if you have a little previous wiring history.

Diamondjim

Nice Job. That's a good idea and good ingenuity. minus the cat box under my bed

This sort of my feelings as well. It's been years since we had a cat, BUT, a cat box under our bed is pushing it a bit.

Still, nice solution to the problem for you.

JanAndBill

Cool, now if I were to cut a hole in the floor under the bed, I could then have a "Mobile Command Center" like Jack in "Meet the Fockers" :cool:
4058e7beae42f110b0257fd684c1a7b9.jpg