Removing Furniture

Has anyone removed a couch from their RV? I'm interested in taking out one of my couches. I would like more space or my plants and dog accouterments. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

rxbristol

We removed our built-in couch/bed. The only "scar" was when I removed the built-in shelves on either side of the couch. I installed wainscoting (wife's idea) around the whole area to cover it--which looks really sharp, if I must say so. We now have a counter-height dinning table in its place.

That sounds like a nice addition. What did you do with the couch/bed once it was removed? I was wondering if I would be able to sell it. Looking at the couch/bed in place it looks like it is partially on a platform. Once it is removed I don't know if the bottom is level or if the couch/bed bottom is on an angle due to the platform.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The floor was level. The couch came out in pieces and had no resale value.

Rex he has a front living plan. I believe there will be a platform and the floor is not level. That's what steered us away from this plan.... I wanted to remove a couch and put in a desk.

I believe others have tried to remove the couch. You might do a search for that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Rex he has a front living plan. I believe there will be a platform and the floor is not level. That's what steered us away from this plan.... I wanted to remove a couch and put in a desk.

I believe others have tried to remove the couch. You might do a search for that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch, Erika--I'm not familiar with that type of setup.

jerryneal

I removed the couch and the 2 recliners in our Gateway. Our couch was a L shaped 3 seater with recliner in middle and left side. Very easy to remove. Backs pop off with a firm pull upwards. Two L brackets were screwed to the floor. Removing the couch came out in 3 pieces. Finding a replacement was a little difficult. We wanted something other than typical RV furniture. Found a great 3 cushion apartment style sleeper sofa that was a perfect fit in the 29 inch door and the 80 inch slider. We also replaced the recliners with cloth Euro style recliners. Makes the living space so much larger.

One more item. Save the front rollers from the old furniture if installing in a slider. You'll need to add to the front of the new sofa.

Last edited:

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Read your post and was interested in the exact model of sleeper sofa you found. Have a 2009 BH and have been looking for sleeper sofa that might fit the back when the slides are both in. I have 29 1/2" clearance to work with. Thx.

jerryneal

Sorry it took so long to reply. It's a weekend sofa by Klaussner. They're made in Asheville, NC. I don't know if they sell direct. We found a furniture store in Warner Robin's, GA that carried the line. You may want to check their website and contact them for a dealer close to you. We picked fabric, etc and they're made to order. Took about 6 weeks. You'll need to bring it in the door and stand in the hallway. Took three of us to get it in and turned. We also took out the two leatherette recliners and replaced with contrasting euro recliners. Made the whole living space much larger. Also like the fact the new furniture doesn't stick to you in the summer. Here's my blog post if you want to see before and after with the sofas.http://ilovervlife.com/rv-furniture-less/. Tap the pictures in the blog to enlarge.

Last edited:

Mizmary

It sounds crazy, but another place to look for replacement furniture is Big Lots. I ripped out ALL of the furniture in my slide (I know - not the same plan), trashed it, and put residential furniture in. I have my "mommy" recliner and he has a chair and a half recliner. And a gate-leaf table from IKEA serves as our full time shelf, part time school table, part time dinner table.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It sounds crazy, but another place to look for replacement furniture is Big Lots. I ripped out ALL of the furniture in my slide (I know - not the same plan), trashed it, and put residential furniture in. I have my "mommy" recliner and he has a chair and a half recliner. And a gate-leaf table from IKEA serves as our full time shelf, part time school table, part time dinner table.

Can you post some pics? Would love to see that.

Mizmary

Can you post some pics? Would love to see that.

I created a new thread, in Decorating Den - But the picture isn't the greatest. I'm trying to find the picture I took when we first did it - you know, when it was clean because I didn't have school papers to be graded stacked sky high! I'll take another picture with better light soon!

Mizmary

12963562_10209475506029278_3243122486550790342_n.jpgThis one is almost as good. It shows more of the curtains/blinds than the furniture placement. I'll have to clean and take another one. :)