removing the king mattress

twohappycampers

Doing the same right now, getting the mattress out wasn't too bad but we have padded furniture skids that made it a lot easier. I noticed the base on ours was built for a Queen bed so when I lifted the top, the wood platform was already marked to cut for a queen (ours could be ordered with a king or queen, they threw a king in it). The tension arms are also in far enough that cutting the base won't change where they sit nor does any other hardware once its cut and fastened back down. Taking off the base was easy - getting that out to cut it isn't! We are wondering if we should just put the saw horses under it in the bedroom and cut it there but I'm putting up painters plastic to keep the fine sawdust from sticking to everything.

Hi! The way our wood platform sits on the base, we don't have to remove the platform to cut it. On the one side (by the mirrored closet door) the edge of the platform sits just even with the edge of the base, and on the other side it overhangs by 3 inches. We'll just have to draw a line 3 inches in from that edge, and cut along it with a jigsaw. Nothing's in the way. And like John said (I think it was John - thanks John!), use a shop vac or the central vac while we're cutting to suck up the fine sawdust. Hopefully you'll find that you don't have to remove the platform either, although I'm sure you've already checked for that.

This is what we're hoping: have the old king mattress removed and hauled away in the morning, cut down the platform, cover the platform with our "material of choice", have the new queen mattress delivered that afternoon. And get a good night's sleep that night!

And that will be that for that!! :)