Removing the kitchen pendant light medallion??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Has anyone removed the ugly medallion like this one in our Landmark?

During our trip today, one of the pendants unscrewed itself from the medallion, and shattered the globe. I now need to replace the globes, so I'd like to get rid of the medallion, but don't know what's under it...any ideas??

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 142

GOTTOYS

Gotta admit, I don't blame you for wanting it gone. Best I could say is take it down. If it doesn't look good underneath put it back up. Maybe painting it flat white would help..Don

kakampers

LOL! I know...it's butt ugly...:) Above the oval pendant there is a rectangular box which attaches it to the ceiling...I wonder if we could just remove the oval part, and finish a nice piece of wood to attach to the box and hang new pendants from that??

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We had the same thing happen earlier this year and the answer is "NO" you do not have to remove the whole sconce. Each pendant is screwed separately to the sconce with 2 screws. Removed them and you can re-secure pendant to base without having to take the whole unit down.

kakampers

As it turns out, the wildly swinging pendant frayed some wiring, so DH had to remove the medallion to get to it...guess what's in the dumpster...;)

Any ideas on what to replace it with?

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 93

jbeletti

Kathy - what if you added more internal framing maybe a half inch shallower than the height of the existing outer frame. Then cover that space with copper colored tin ceiling material (or the plastic version of it)? Add blocking too for your new pendant lights and mount them to the new covering.

kakampers

LOL! I actually was thinking about how to use tin ceiling tiles last night....will be giving this more thought...we think alike, Bro! :)