REPAIRED: Structural Problem?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Structural Problem?

I took a video of me lifting the trailer off the truck (ok, *I* didn't actually do the lifting) but even at 6.9M it is too big to upload. I'd like you all to see it so I'll have to figure out how to get the size to what the forum can handle.

Cheers, Tim

Maybe you could upload it to YouTube or something like that.

I have my own web space and have plenty of room to upload it there as well.

Let me know and I'll give you my email address where you can send the video.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, looking at the position of one of the bolts that hold the pin box to the trim around it I see way more flex than should be.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Scrubbing the timeline on the video shows the flex very clearly. Send a link to the Heartland rep you're dealing with.

StrongJava

Thank you all. Your experience is making me more knowledgeable and confident of what I'm seeing. The video is with the Heartland rep and he has forwarded it to Lippert.

My hypothesis remains that the dealer I bought the rig from knew, or should have known, there was enough movement in the pin box, combined with the (albeit) minor damage in the closet, to indicate a serious problem with the pin box. And that, given the highway I experienced, this extra improper movement in the front end of the trailer amplified the forces imparted upon the frame welds and crossbars, causing them, previously weakened or not, to break.

If any of you seasoned veterans believe I'm misunderstanding the engineering of these things, please let me know.

And again, thank you.

Tim

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Focus on the wire conduit around the breakaway switch as the video plays...I'm a relative newbie compared to many on this forum, but that definitely, as you've discovered, should not open a gap like that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Viewing the video, something's definitely not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Tim:
I have a 2008 production Bighorn and have suffered through both pinbox frame flex (2013) and suspension area I beams bending over (2014). While Heartland did agree to fix the pinbox frame flex at the plant for me, the plant was about a 5000 mile round trip from California. I hope they fix this for you at the plant, although I thought I had read on this forum that such repairs were limited to the original owner. If you end up having to pay for this, the total estimate by my local RV repairer was $3500 in 2012. Make sure they weld in triangular steel "gussets" at all major frame stress points.
If you are paying for having any welding done, spend a few hundred more proactively and have crossbracing and gussets welded to your spring hangars and I beams, to prevent the I beams rolling over to the side, and the axles shifting, like what happened to me.

StrongJava

Thank you Bill. I may come back to you with more questions as this moves along. For example, can you elaborate on what you mean by "suspension area I beams bending over"?

I'm concerned about causing further damage (assuming it is even safe) if I have to drive too far for the repairs since the frame is broken in at least one spot.

Tim

whp4262

Thank you Bill. I may come back to you with more questions as this moves along. For example, can you elaborate on what you mean by "suspension area I beams bending over"?

I'm concerned about causing further damage (assuming it is even safe) if I have to drive too far for the repairs since the frame is broken in at least one spot.

Is the trailer near Fort Worth? If so I might be able to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

See: https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0Bw3atuhfb0GMNlNrR3ZhM2I4dG8 and:
https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0Bw3atuhfb0GMUXhiRE50LXYtMjg

Tim: For the pinbox frame flex I was probably driving farther than you to Elkhart, but my damage was not so extereme. I could have had it all done in Sacramento, and probably would have come out ahead financially, but I wanted to attend the Heartland National Rally and get the disk brakes upgrade done at MorRyde in Elkhart. I opted to have my repairer make the rig good enough to get me to Elkhart and the Heartland factory for full repairs. That cost me another $1500.

Tim

See thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48295-Badly-Bent-Frame-A-Trend?

StrongJava

Good morning All, and I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas/holiday time.

After too much back and forth with the dealer, I've taken the rig to another nearby business, one that sells Heartland products. They took the front skin off and I've attached a video here showing the condition. Some good news, perhaps, is that the tech indicated the pin box area looks good. The flexing appears to be coming from separated frame pieces. Earlier repairs (who knows when?) were done but the work was insufficient.

Any of your thoughts are welcome, especially any old (or younger!) welders out there.

Tim

https://vimeo.com/115292783

danemayer

Good morning All, and I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas/holiday time.

After too much back and forth with the dealer, I've taken the rig to another nearby business, one that sells Heartland products. They took the front skin off and I've attached a video here showing the condition. Some good news, perhaps, is that the tech indicated the pin box area looks good. The flexing appears to be coming from separated frame pieces. Earlier repairs (who knows when?) were done but the work was insufficient.

Any of your thoughts are welcome, especially any old (or younger!) welders out there.

Tim

https://vimeo.com/115292783

Hi Tim,

I'd suggest waiting for the Heartland/Lippert response before doing any repairs. From prior posts, I think front-end frame repairs can involve cutting into the side walls to do additional welding to strengthen the upper frame. Heartland may suggest doing those repairs at the factory.

StrongJava

Thanks Dan. Both Lippert and Heartland contacts have the video, and have been kept in the loop at each step. So far they're both declined to be involved in the repairs (too far out of warranty, second owner, etc). But they've both been responsive. The Heartland contact is just back in the office this morning so I hope to hear shortly from him regarding the video. The Lippert guy's only substantive comment on the video was that the aluminum piece going across the top is extra and not something they would have installed. One of a number of signs of previous work.

danemayer

Tim,

Even if they won't do the work or cover the cost, you should ask if they'll provide direction to the repair shop on what specific things should be done to repair and strengthen the frame.

wdk450

Tim:
I hope you show your welder how my welder used thick wall box tubing for the I-Beam repairs. I am no engineer, but I believe that this steel form has much more bending strength than the thinner I-Beams used in the trailer frame. The box tubing was welded to the existing good sections of the frame I-Beams. The welder is Roger Fletcher of Fletcher Fabrication, Cloverdale, Ca. 707-894-3892 .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Based on my personal experience with the frame flex your repair center needs to look a little deeper.
That aluminium framing its only there to frame out the front compartment. It provides no support.
As Dan mentioned most repairs involve cutting the skin off the sidewalls to access the steel frame.
Gussets are then welded there and in the front for additional strength.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk