Replace Dometic 3316410.xxx with Honeywell RTH2300B, suggestions/tips please

SCPOSWRET

If anyone has any experience replacing a Dometic CT Thermostat model 3316410.xxx (model cool/furnace), not model cool/furnace/heat strip, nor model cool/furnace/heat pump with the Honeywell model RTH2300B, any suggestions, little know facts, tips, etc, would be appreciated, especially if you have actually made or helped with making this swap out yourself. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

If anyone has any experience replacing a Dometic CT Thermostat model 3316410.xxx (model cool/furnace), not model cool/furnace/heat strip, nor model cool/furnace/heat pump with the Honeywell model RTH2300B, any suggestions, little know facts, tips, etc, would be appreciated, especially if you have actually made or helped with making this swap out yourself. Thanks in advance.

I think Dometic digital thermostats use 5V DC whereas the Honeywell is probably 12V DC.

jbeletti

The Dometic CT (Capacitive Touch) Thermostats are 3 wire digital output units. +12 vdc, -12 vdc and data. The Honeywell thermostat referenced looks like an analog interface (wiring) and likely is not compatible with the AC units that use the Dometic CT thermostats.

SCPOSWRET

The Dometic CT (Capacitive Touch) Thermostats are 3 wire digital output units. +12 vdc, -12 vdc and data. The Honeywell thermostat referenced looks like an analog interface (wiring) and likely is not compatible with the AC units that use the Dometic CT thermostats.

gotcha x2, glad I kept the receipt. :). I’ve read a number of articles on replacing the CT with a Honeywell so I’ll investigate further, luckily there is no rush, it’s just that when either my Wife or I even barley touch the therm when passing by the very small space between the therm and the bedroom entrance, the therm acts like you made an intentional adjustment which is very frustrating. Thanks again for the input.

I did the same model in our prowler. I still have not been able to get the air cond fan to run on low speed. I know you have to add a toggle switch to make it HI/Low.The brown and blue wires are capped off. Other wise you use red to red leave jumper on. Rest of wires just match to markings. Take a picture of yours before removing so you can put your old one back if not working.
Another owner posted a article in the tools section on top of the forum under thermostats digital. Plus plenty of posts on you tube.

SCPOSWRET

I did the same model in our prowler. I still have not been able to get the air cond fan to run on low speed. I know you have to add a toggle switch to make it HI/Low.The brown and blue wires are capped off. Other wise you use red to red leave jumper on. Rest of wires just match to markings. Take a picture of yours before removing so you can put your old one back if not working.
Another owner posted a article in the tools section on top of the forum under thermostats digital. Plus plenty of posts on you tube.

thank you retired. I watched the toggle switch video also but 1) wanted to figure out how to make the thermo swap without adding the toggle as I’m fine with leaving the fan speed on Auto, and 2) did you experience any issues with any reported differences in voltage between the two different thermo models?
It appears that the guy who made the video showing the adding of the toggle switch had no issues (at least he never mentined any) with voltage of any kind and the Honeywell seemed to work out well. I’ll ask him tomorrow to comment on this issue.

Please advise. Thanks again.

Hi
Actually 12 volts is used for the furnace and a/c. From what I can tell by all the posts 12 volts powers a relay for the a/c to turn on the 120 volts. The battery is used by the thermostat. You do not have to add a switch but tha a/c will run the fan only on high speed. Green wire is high speed. And possibly the brown is low speed.

SCPOSWRET

Hi
Actually 12 volts is used for the furnace and a/c. From what I can tell by all the posts 12 volts powers a relay for the a/c to turn on the 120 volts. The battery is used by the thermostat. You do not have to add a switch but tha a/c will run the fan only on high speed. Green wire is high speed. And possibly the brown is low speed.

Ok, good deal. Thank you!