Replace Kingpin - Mobile RV Tech suggestions in Atlanta Area?

Rhyph

Howdy all,

I'm looking to replace the stock kingpin that came on our new 2016 Roadwarrior 420 with a Trailair. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and capable, but for some reason doing this job scares me a bit. Something about it being the only thing that connects truck to trailer and an error in installation could be bad. It seems straight forward. 10 big bolts (5 on each side), swap electrical junction and brake box, use truck and hitch to assist with handling the removal and replacement of the kingpins themselves, check and set ride height. But, I may also be lacking necessary air tools to do it efficiently. I'll order the Trailair from eTrailer, they seem to have the best deal going w/free freight for the Lippert 1621, 21k version required. I can help with the install, and would prefer to arrange having it done it at our storage facility in the Acworth, GA area.

Does anyone know of or, can recommend a mobile RV tech who might be able to assist with the job? I think I'd feel better with some pro-oversight. Unless you folks can talk me off the cliff with stories and experiences of DIY ease. :D

Thanks!

Ps. I had no idea where best to post this, so mods feel free to move if you think there's a better place for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noofear

Re: Replace Kingpin - Mobile RV Tech suggestions N Atlanta Area?

My son-in-law and I installed the new flex air by trailair, took us about 45 minutes we used a floor jack in the back of my truck and lifted the new PIN box right into place very easy to do no problems whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bones

When you do the install make sure to measure from the ground up to king pin on the old Pin box before dis-assembly. When you reinstall put the new pin box at the same height and your golden.

Gary521

From a rental store, I rented a small portable hoist. It fit in the back of the pickup. Not too difficult.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I did my Mor/Ryde myself. But it was in the truck bed to start with. Its not so much unbolting and re-bolting it in place. It's the weight of it. I believe that the bolts torque to 140#. Have a telescoping magnet handy to retrieve nuts and washers dropped while doing the install. Tight working area.

mlpeloquin

I did mine. Don't use an air tool. Use a torque wrench and torque the bolts. I had to use a rubber mallet to free the old pin box. The Flex Air Trailair pin box was slightly narrower than the stock one. If you watch the videos on U-tube you will see that they gun the bolts on with the air gun. Watch the sides pull in. This puts a lot of tension on the welds. They are strong enough to hold, but if you take a hit in the rear they could snap. I used stock aluminum purchased at the hardware store and cut it to length. Then drilled out over sized holes and slid it in to fill in the gap. Not a hard job to do. Just take your time.

I think my bolts were 5/8 and I added two grade 8 on each side because I could. The torque for Grade 8 plane coarse thread is 160 ft pounds. That is the wet bolt torque. I used Loctite. The lower torque is do to not having to overcome the friction of the dry surfaces. 160 ft pounds is easier on you than the 212 foot pounds for the dry torque settings.

GOTTOYS

Very easy to do yourself. I can do it alone once it gets lifted onto my truck bed. Raise or lower the front of the trailer with the trailer jacks. Set the pinbox on some blocks on the tailgate of the truck slide it around to locate it and raise or lower the front of the trailer to line up the holes. Nothing too it. No jacks, no help needed. 1/2 hour job. No need to relocate or disconnect any wiring, it's not attached to the pinbox, it's attached to the frame. You may need to move the breakaway switch but that's only one sheet metal screw....Don

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Very easy to do yourself. I can do it alone once it gets lifted onto my truck bed. Raise or lower the front of the trailer with the trailer jacks. Set the pinbox on some blocks on the tailgate of the truck slide it around to locate it and raise or lower the front of the trailer to line up the holes. Nothing too it. No jacks, no help needed. 1/2 hour job. No need to relocate or disconnect any wiring, it's not attached to the pinbox, it's attached to the frame. You may need to move the breakaway switch but that's only one sheet metal screw....Don

Yes, take this advice and save yourself work and headache. Very easy to do this way. About a 1/2 hour or so.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

BTW, take the OEM pinbox to the scrap yard. No one wants them. Might get 2cts a pound for it.

Garypowell

Did mine this last weekend. Installed a 5th Airborne. Tried to simply lift it in but did not work....too heavy. Used the truck method and a couple of jacks and got it in place. Pin is actually 2" lower than my stock since there is metal framework that only allows the new pin box to go so high. The overall fit is the same, that is same amount showing before with original and after. I think part of the deal is that the 5th Airborne seems to taper more.

Fortunately my hitch is on the highest mark so I can lower it 2" and the rig will be level again. But I am going to wait and hook it up like it is and see how it looks.

I decided to change bolts and lock washers since the ones that came standard seemed to be one time use. as I torqued the nuts the whole assembly spun. Only $17 worth of material and more peace of mind.

rxbristol

Double check with the manufacturer about the torque values...this may save you some heartache.

Rhyph

Thanks all for the great suggestions and guidance. I'm determined to try and brave it myself. I'll be picking up a good torque wrench, but I seem to have everything else I need for tools including the ones I didn't think of that were mentioned. I just ordered the hitch so I should see it here in about a week. I'll update on my progress with it and how the installation goes, maybe grab some pictures along the way.

Garypowell

One thing nice about having a torque wrench is you can use it to check the bolts on your tires too.

Rhyph

Update: They sent us the wrong hitch! We received it on Friday via a trucking service. It was in a cardboard cacoon with no less than 300 industrial staples binding every flap of cardboard down, and that was strapped to a pallet. Once we got the hitch out and discovered it was wrong, I promptly called them. Now they are going to have to arrange to pick it up and bring us the correct hitch. The one they sent appears to be a Fabex style hitch from what I can tell. What a costly mistake for them to make.

Rhyph

.....And finally done:

e329f4d1cd3da43216a0b0eb9a5e20b6.jpg

Between work travel, getting a late season flu bug and having all the stars align correctly we finally got it on this past Saturday. It took us about 2.5 hours start to finish. I probably could have done it faster, but it was hot and humid. Luckily we were in the shade thrown by the morning sun angle in relation to our covered storage facility.

The only thing I was a little surprised about was the lack of use of true lock washers. They used large flat washers inside and out that have sharp teeth-like cuts around their outer edges (sorta like a star washer around the edges). Not sure I like that set-up, I'll be sure to re-check the torque on them next trip out which starts with a short pull of about 28 miles to a CG we use for trip staging around the corner from our house.