Replaced the OEM lavatory faucet

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The OEM faucet decided to start leaking down the supply lines every time we turned on the water. At first, I thought it was the water pump, for some reason, even though it doesn't get used much since that's where the puddle in the basement was. Traced it to the plastic faucet. Replaced it with an all metal Delta faucet from Lowe's that matched the original color and extended a bit further into the basin. After dissecting the OEM faucet, I believe the leak was from the loose gasket that connects the faucet to the mixer tubes. It wiggled considerably even when fully inserted.

While in the basement trying to locate the leak, I took some photos of the drain from the black tank. No wonder it never seems to fully empty. It's got an upward cant from the tank due to the wonderful assemblers parking the elbow directly on top of a cross frame member. When this photo was taken, I had emptied the tank the day before, and have added less than 10 gallons to it. The fuller the tank gets, the more the line tilts. Great job, there!

Third photo upside down due to taking it with a phone. Thought I rotated it before posting...

Attachments

• New lavatory faucet.JPG
    New lavatory faucet.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 112
  • OEM faucet innards.JPG
    OEM faucet innards.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 112
  • Black Tanks pipe.JPG
    Black Tanks pipe.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Black Tank Piping.JPG
    Black Tank Piping.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

avvidclif

I replaced mine with a Bar Faucet which has the high arched neck. No longer hard to wash your hands.

mlpeloquin

Mine did the same thing. Had to replace it on the road. I like the two handle faucet, so I purchased an American Standard with the same finish. It is a much longer reach which makes it easier to clean your hands. Very easy to do, but this old body in a small cabinet and scrunched legs against the toilet! Just put a big folded towel down across the lip of the cabinet to support your rig cage.

JohnDar

Actually had my chin on the counter as I worked by Braille underneath. A small mirror propped in the cabinet to see the back of the sink and a flashlight helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Actually had my chin on the counter as I worked by Braille underneath. A small mirror propped in the cabinet to see the back of the sink and a flashlight helps.

Your arms are a lot longer than my arms are.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious for others that are considering, did you have to replace the sink stopper or make any re-connections there?

mlpeloquin

I just hooked it up to the original sink stopper since it matched the new faucet. I have kept the new stopper at home in a cabinet with the other plumbing stuff.

OEFVET

The plastic OEM faucet is poorly designed with it's lack of extension over the center of the drain as is the norm in household faucets. Mine weren't leaking but needed to be changed for this reason alone.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I replaced ours with this one from Camping World . . .

CamperNewBthrmFaucet-IMG_2860.jpg

This shot was taken in our old Heartland Trail Runner, but kept this faucet when we traded it in and it now resides in our Prowler.

JohnDar

I just hooked it up to the original sink stopper since it matched the new faucet. I have kept the new stopper at home in a cabinet with the other plumbing stuff.

I did the same, but had to use the new, longer rod. To use the new stopper tube required cutting it shorter. It was a bit past dinner time by the time I got the faucet installed, so it might be a future project since it's better than the OEM one.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We did the same, replacing the OEM because of the arch (lack thereof) of the faucet neck. We prefer a single lever faucet. Like John, we didn't switch out the drain/stopper assembly in the sink. We used the new pull rod and hooked to existing stopper.

IMG_8281.jpg